William HAYES c.1825-1899
Mary NIVEN c.1827-1899
Co Tipperary, Ireland ; Digby, Dartmoor, Tahara, Carapook & Brimpaen, S-W Victoria, Australia
William HAYES, b. c.1825 Horeabbey, Tipperary, Ireland, son of William HAYES and Catherine MAHER was married in 1855, Tipperary, Ireland to Mary NIVEN, b. c.1827, daughter of Thomas NIVEN and Margaret DAY.
William and Mary HAYES and 1 year old son Thomas HAYES arrived as immigrants from Ireland, at Portland Bay, S-W Victoria, Australia on the "Mary Ann" in January 1857.
William HAYES was engaged by Alfred Von BODEN of Digby for 12 months after his arrival in 1857. William & Mary HAYES had three children at Dartmoor & Tahara in 1857, 1862 and 1863.
By 1875 William HAYES and family were living at Bruk Bruk, near Carapook as indicated by the following information from a Carapook School petition. William HAYES, Labourer of Bruk Bruk, 1 school-aged child, living 1 mile N of Carapook was one of the signatures to the 1875 petition aimed at establishing a new school at Carapook.
William HAYES and family moved from the Casterton area to Brimpaen, west of the Grampians, near Horsham in 1885, with the exception of their eldest son Thomas who stayed at "Muntham" station.
William and Mary HAYES both died at their residence at Brimpaen and were buried at Horsham in 1899.
William HAYES and Mary NIVEN had the following children:
William John HAYES b. 1858, Dartmoor (or Digby), S-W Vic., d. 1936 Horsham, Vic., m1. Annie Elizabeth WIDDICOMBE 1862-1891 [2 children], m2. Ellen Mary "Nellie" BIGGERS 1879-1946 [11 children] in the Horsham area.
John HAYES b. 1862, Tahara, S-W Vic, d. 1947, Horsham, Vic., m. Annie WILSON (nee BRYANT) ~1861-1939.
Margaret HAYES b. ~1863, Tahara, S-W Vic, m. William SMITH 1863-1944 [6 children] in the Horsham area, both died at Stawell, Vic.
- Thomas HAYES b. 1855, Co Tipperary, Ireland, m. Bessie DOUGHENEY 1861-1963, and they lived at Carapook, Wando Vale & "Mount Koroite" Station, Coleraine & "Mingbool" station, South Australia. Bessie HAYES died in Ballarat in 1953. Thomas HAYES d. 1935 at Mount Gambier, S-E South Australia. They had the following family...
- John Nevin HAYES b. 1888, Coleraine, S-W Victoria, d. ......, m. Anna Mary MILBURN 1894- ?
- Bessie HAYES b. 1892, d. 1892, Coleraine, S-W Victoria.
- Margaret Elsie HAYES b. 1894, Coleraine, S-W Victoria, d. 1910, Casterton, S-W Victoria
- Thomas Stanley "Stan" HAYES b. 1899, Coleraine, S-W Victoria, d. 1963, Longreach, Queensland, m. 1934 to Florence SUTTON 1907-1902, resided at "Birwood Downs" Longreach, Queensland.
- School pupil at Carapook S.S.1969
- WW1 1st AIF, enlisted 28 Aug 1915, Longreach, QLD
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 1462, 11th Light Horse Regiment, served in the Middle East 1915-1919.
- WW1 1st AIF, RTA 28 August 1919
- Name : Carapook School Honour Roll