Thomas LEWIS 1809-1874
Rebecca BRAHAM (BRAME) 1824-1907
Sussex, England ; VDL (Tasmania) ;
"Muntham" station, "Merino Downs" station, Sandford & Bahgallah, Victoria, Australia
Thomas LEWIS was b. 1809, near Brighton, Sussex, England son of Hugh LEWIS and Elizabeth ___ was married in 1842 in Green Ponds, Tasmania to Rebecca BRAHAM (BRAME), b. c1825 Suffolk, England, daughter of William BRAHAM (BRAME) and Sarah KNIGHT.
Thomas and Rebecca LEWIS left Tasmania, and landed at Portland, Victoria where they made their way to Mr Henty's property, "Muntham" Station. During the following years they moved from there to the Henty property at "Merino Downs", then to Sandford, and finally to Bahgallah.
Thomas LEWIS died in 1874 at Bahgallah, near Casterton, Victoria and was buried at Sandford, Victoria and his widow Rebecca died at Mount Gambier, SA in 1907 and wad buried in the Mount Gambier, Lake Terrace cemetery.
External link : LEWIS and BRAHAM (BRAME) : contains extensive information on the LEWIS and BRAHAM (BRAME) families and their early known history.
Thomas LEWIS & Rebecca BRAHAM (BRAME) had the following known family:
- William LEWIS 1843-1870, b. Green Ponds, VDL (Tasmania), d. Coleraine, Victoria (Bullock driver who drowned in the great Coleraine flood of 28 Oct 1870)
- Sarah Rebecca LEWIS 1846-1865, b. ___ VDL (Tasmania); d. "Kadnook" station, near Harrow, Victoria; m. 1863 to Isaac JONES
- Thomas LEWIS 1847-1904, b. Launceston, VDL (Tasmania); d. Casterton, Victoria; m. 1874 to Alice Penelope LEY 1856-1910, b. Mount Gambier, SA to Ernest James LEY and Louisa Charlotte CHART (large family in the Casterton & Strathdownie area); d. Mil Lel. Mount Gambier, SA.
- George LEWIS 1850-1932, b. Portland, Victoria; d. Casterton, Victoria; m. 1877 to Mary Ann MURRELL 1855-1917, b. Brighton, Sussex, England to Charles Teeling MURRELL and Elizabeth LEWIS (large family in the Casterton & Sandford area); d. Mildura, Victoria.
- Eliza LEWIS 1853-1935, b. Sandford, Victoria; d. Mount Gambier, SA; m. 1874 to William Thomas MILLARD 1853-1926, b. Melbourne, Victoria to Vincent MILLARD and Frances BRAMPTON; (large family at Bahgallah, Victoria and South Australia); d. Joanna (near Penola), SA
- John LEWIS 1856-1924, b. "Mundarra" near Edenhope, Victoria; d. Melbourne, Victoria; m. 1880 to Ann Elizabeth COLLINGBURN 1863-1945, b. reg at Merino, Victoria; d. Melbourne, Victoria.
- Elizabeth LEWIS 1858-1885, b. Harrow, Victoria; d. Wentworth, NSW; m. 1875 to Thomas HODGETTS 1848-1932, b. Portland, Victoria to Thomas HODGETTS and Alicia DAVEY; d. Wentworth, NSW.
- Edward LEWIS 1861-1906, b. Sandford, Victoria; of Mount Gambier, SA; d. Adelaide, SA
- Charles Henry LEWIS 1864-1958, b. Casterton, Victoria. d. Port Macdonnell, SA; m. 1898 to Virtue BEST b. Pleasant Creek, Victoria to William BEST and Virtua WILLIANS; d. Port Macdonnell, SA.
- Mary Ann LEWIS 1868-1945, b. Sandford, Victoria; d. Mount Gambier, SA; m. 1891 to George STONE 1865-1945, b. Mount Crawford, SA to Henry STONE and Kezia RICHARDSON; d. Mount Gambier, SA.