Alexander McLACHLAN 1846-1929
Catherine McRAE 1849-1919
Inverness-shire, Scotland; "Muntham" Station, Carapook, & Natimuk, Victoria, Australia
Alexander McLACHLAN c.1846-1929, b. Corpach, near Fort William, Inverness-shire, Scotland, son of Donald Lewis McLACHLAN and Ann McDONALD; d. Horsham, Victoria; married in 1879 to Catherine McRAE 1849-1919, b. Urquhart, Inverness-shire, Scotland son of Donald McRAE and Janet McRAE; d. Tooan, Victoria.
Alexander McLACHLAN arrived at Portland, Victoria with his parents and siblings on the "Utopia" in 1854 and Catherine McRAE arrived at Portland, Victoria with her family on the "John Davies" in 1852.
Alexander McLACHLAN became a partner in a farm at "Muntham" with his brother-in-law Donald McRAE as mentioned in Donald's obituary below. He later moved north to the Natimuk area.
West Wimmera Mail, January 16, 1914
On Monday last, at about midday, Mr. Donald McRAE, one of the most widely known, and certainly one of the most highly respected residents of the West Wimmera, died at the age of 72. Some four or five months ago the deceased gentleman was thrown from his gig and the fall apparently affected his heart, for though he had the very best medical attention, he gradually became weaker. He, however, was a man of great pluck, and it was not until his failing strength compelled him that he took to bed, his last appearance in public was on New Year's Day, when he visited the Tooan Sports for an hour or two. Next morning he was brought into Nurse JONE'S Private Hospital, but the call had come, and he passed to the Great Beyond 10 days later. He was a man of commanding physique, a fine type of Scot in every way, and his demise is deeply regretted amongst a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
AN OLD PIONEER PASSES
Mr. Donald McRAE
Leaving Inverness where he was born in 1842, with his parents, when he was about 10 years of age, he came to Australia, landing at Portland. Up till 1865 he was employed on station work, after which time he and his brother-in-law (Mr. Alex McLACHLAN), became partners in a farm at Muntham near Hamilton. Not meeting with much success, they, in 1872, went to the Arapiles district and selected 320 acres each. After the dissolution of this partnership 7 years later he became a larger land holder acquiring over 1000 acres at Tooan, and of late years he was very successful as a wheat grower and grazier. A judge of stock, particularly of sheep; his views were always looked up to. From the inception of the Horsham Caledonian Society the deceased was a member and worthily filled the position of Chief.
A sorrowing wife and five children are left the mourn the loss of a devoted father. They are: Messrs. Donald (licensee of the Criterion Hotel, Horsham). John (Natimuk), Lachlan (Tooan), Mrs. LIGHT, (Noradjuha), and Mrs. SCOTT (Noradjuha). Another son (Robert) died some time ago. Brothers and sisters of the deceased are Messrs. Kenneth and Robert McRAE, of Clear Lake, Mrs. CAMERON, of Connangorach, and Mrs. McLACHLAN of Tooan. The funeral on Tuesday was very largely attended, close on 50 buggy loads of mourners, beside horsemen, joining in the procession to the Natimuk cemetery. Mr. T. W. HOLMES, of the Presbyterian Church conducted the burial service impressively.
Alexander McLACHLAN's father, Donald Lewis McLACHLAN c.1797-1869, died at Coleraine aged 71 years and was buried in the Coleraine cemetery. His mother Ann McDONALD c.1809-1894, died at Tooan or Natimuk, Victoria, aged 87 years.
Alexander McLACHLAN & Catherine McRAE had the following known family:
- Jessie Ann McLACHLAN 1880-1910, b. Natimuk, Victoria; d. Horsham, Victoria.
- Donald Lewis McLACHLAN 1881-1941, b. Natimuk, Victoria; d. Natimuk, Victoria; m. 1913 to Evelyn Nora BIRD 1887-1974, b. Harrow, Victoria to george BITD and Catherine TAYLOR; d. Horsham, Victoria.
- Alexander Ewen McLACHLAN 1882-1967, b. Natimuk, Victoria; d. Ballarat, Victoria.
- John Cumming McLACHLAN 1883-1959. b. Natimuk, Victoria; d. Horsham, Victoria.
- Lilian McLACHLAN 1885-1978, b. Natimuk, Victoria; d. Horsham, Victoria; m. 1908 to William McCLURE 1877-1949, b. Natimuk, Victoria to John McCLURE and Maria MAYBERY; d. Horsham, Victoria.
- Kenneth Duncan McLACHLAN 1889-1948, b. Clear Lake, Victoria; d. Horsham, Victoria.
- Peter Francis McLACHLAN 1890-1916, b. Clear Lake, Victoria; WW1 Pte 4566, 6th Battalion, AIF; KIA 1916, Somme, France.
- Catherine McLACHLAN 1896-1896, b. and d. 1896, Natimuk, Victoria.