John MURRAY 1811-1896
Christian HUTCHESON 1820-1900
Perthshire, Scotland ; VDL (Tasmania) ; "Runnymede" Station, Sandford, Victoria ;
Darlington Point, NSW ; Carapook, S-W Victoria, Australia
John MURRAY 1811-1896, b. Dunbarney, Perthshire, Scotland son of Alexander MURRAY & Magdelene HIND, married in 1844, Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland to Christian HUTCHESON 1820-1900, b. Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland, daughter of David HUTCHESON & Isabella TAYLOR. Two children (Alexander & Isabella) were born at Abermethy, Perthshire, Scotland in 1844 and 1846. It appears that their 3rd child (David) was born at sea from Scotland to Australia in 1848. Some other family events are...
- 1849, Jan. : John MURRAY, wife and three children travelled from Launceston VDL (Tasmania) to Portland, S-W Victoria in January, 1849 as mentioned...
"The Launceston Examiner" (Tas.) Wednesday, 17th January 1849.
SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE --- January 17.--Brig City of Sydney, 106 tons, Fawthrop, master, for Portland Bay ; Richard Green, agent. Passengers--Mr. John Ralston, Mr. A. Ralston, Mr. John Murray, Mrs. Murray and child, Alexander Murray, Isabella Murray, Mr. Thomas Young, Mrs. Young, Mr. John Whyte, William Brown, John Smith, Mrs. Hardcastle.
- 1849 : John MURRAY, wife and three children arrived on the Glenelg River, S-W Port Phillip (Victoria) where the birth of the 3rd child David MURRAY (born "at sea") was registered. This was probably at "Runnymede" Station (on the Glenelg River near Sandford, where Christian HUTCHESON's mother and brothers had previously settled.)
- 1858 & 1863 : Births of two more children (George 1858, Ellen 1863) were registerd at Hamilton, S-W Victoria.
- 1863-1867 : John MURRAY recorded as a squatter of "Runnymede" station in the court case regarding a stolen mare.
- 1871 : John MURRAY acquired William TULLY's property in Carapook parish, near Sandford, S-W Victoria.
- 1875 : John MURRAY paid £128 rates on his property "Moredun Hill" Carapook parish, near Sandford, S-W Victoria.
- 1876 : John MURRAY sold his property of 464 acres known as "Moredun Hill" Carapook parish, near Sandford, S-W Victoria as he is leaving the district.
- 1876 : John MURRAY and family selected 4 lots of 640 acres which he also named "Moredun Hill" at Darlington Point, NSW.
"The Riverine Grazier" (Hay, NSW) Wednesday, 23rd August 1876.
HAY LAND OFFICE, Aug. 17th.--... ; John Murray, 640a County Boyd, Parish Ugobit, being measured portions 17 and 18 ; Isabella Murray, 640a do. do., portions 14 and 15 ; George Hutcheson Murray, 640a do. do., portions 26 and 27 ; David Hutcheson Murray, 640a do. do., portions 24 and 25 ; ...
- 1882 : Isabella MURRAY eldest daughter of John MURRAY of "Moredun Hill" Darlington Point, NSW, died.
- 1885 : John MURRAY sold his property of 3840 acres known as "Moredun Hill" Darlington Point, NSW.
- 1888 : John MURRAY was living at Hamilton, S-W Victoria when he purchased the property known as "Burnbank" Beerick Parish, Carapook (Muntham), S-W Victoria from george and Joseph FERRIER.
"The Hamilton Spectator" (Vic.) Tuesday, 20th November 1888.
HAMILTON STOCK REPORT.--Messrs. Laidlaw and Kenton report : Land--We have sold during the week on account Messrs. G. and J. Ferrier, their Burn Bank Estate, containing 689 acres rich agricultural land at Muntham, Mr. John Murray at Hamilton being the purchaser at a highly satisfactory price.
"The Hamilton Spectator" (Vic.) Tuesday, 20th November 1888.
Sale of Freehold Properties.--Messrs. Laidlaw and Fenton report having sold on account of Messrs. George and Joseph Ferrier their Burn Bank estate at Muntham, containing 689 acres of rich agricultural and grazing land, highly improved, at a satisfactory price, Mr. John Murray being the purchaser.
John MURRAY & Christian HUTCHESON had the following family...
- Alexander MURRAY 1844-1941, b. Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland, d. Carapook, S-W Victoria, m. 1877, Victoria to Lilias TEMPLETON 1856-1936, b. Ayrshire, Scotland, d. Casterton, S- W Victoria ; and they had the following family....
- Alice Maud MURRAY, b. c.1878, d. 1948, Casterton, S-W Victoria
- Mary MURRAY, b. 1881, d. 1881, Chetwynd, S-W Victoria
- Jean Hutcheson MURRAY, b. 1882, Chetwynd, Victoria, d. 1972, Casterton, S-W Victoria. [Jean wrote a few notes on the "Early Days at Carapook".
- Isabella Muir "Bella" MURRAY, b. 1885, Casterton, Victoria, d. 1966, Casterton, S-W Victoria, m. William John "Bill" HODGETTS 1875-1952.
- Alexander "Alick" MURRAY, b. 1889, Carapook, S-W Victoria, d. 1979, Casterton, S-W Victoria, m. Vera Victoria COX 1901-1986, b. Sandford, S-W Victoria to James COX & Elizabeth NICHOLLS
- Isabella MURRAY 1846-1881, b. Abernethy, Perthshire, Scotland, d. "Moredun Hill" Darlington Point, NSW.
- David Hutcheson Francis MURRAY 1848-1919, b. "at sea" birth registered 1849, Glenelg River, S-W Victoria, d. Myrtlebank (near Sale), Victoria ; m. 1877, Victoria to Janet TEMPLETON 1859-1945, b. Melbourne, Victoria, d. Myrtlebank (near Sale), Victoria, and they had the following family....
- Norman MURRAY 1877-1972, b. Darlington Point, NSW, d. Melbourne, Victoria, m. Harriet Emily McWHIRTER 1883-1976.
- James Hutcheson MURRAY 1880-1978, b. Darlington Point, NSW, d. Heyfield, Victoria, m. Elizabeth Ann ANDERSON c.1882-1966.
- John MURRAY 1881-1955, b. 1881, Chetwynd, S-W Victoria, d. Melbourne, Victoria
- William Alexander MURRAY 1883-1934, b. Chetwynd, S-W Victoria, d. Sale, Victoria
- George Francis MURRAY 1886-1967, b. Casterton, S-W Victoria, d. Sale, Victoria
- David Taylor MURRAY 1889-1898, b. Chetwynd, S-W Victoria, d. Sale, Victoria
- Grace Ellen MURRAY 1891-1969, b. Edenhope, S-W Victoria, d. Geelong, Victoria
- Janet May MURRAY 1893-1974, b. Edenhope, S-W Victoria, d. Geelong, Victoria, m. Thomas Ernest Gregory MORTIMER 1896-1980
- George Hutcheson MURRAY 1858-1893, b. Hamilton, S-W Victoria, d. "Burnbank" Carapook, S-W Victoria.
- Ellen Barclay "Nellie" MURRAY 1863-1933, b. Hamilton, S-W Victoria, d. "Leriwa" (near Moulamein), NSW, m. 1895, Coleraine, S-W Victoria to William Daley DAVIS 1858-1920.