Richard PESKETT 1835-1921 & Martha Jane TYRER 1837-1884
Brickmaker of "Warrock", "Nangeela", "Muntham", Victoria, Australia
Richard PESKETT, b. 1835 Adversane, Sussex, England, son of Peter PESKETT & Martha HARWOOD was married in 1858, at Glenorchy, Victoria to Martha Jane TYRER, b. 1837, Kangaroo Island, South Australia, daughter of William TYRER and Mary CONNOLLY. Martha TYRER had a sister Ellen BEDDELL (nee TYRER) living at nearby Sandford, Victoria.
1881 Census, Littlehampton, Sussex, England
Richard PESKETT's parents, Peter PESKETT and Martha (nee HARWOOD), two widowed sisters and some of their children were living at 14 River Road, Littlehampton, Sussex, England on the night of the 1881 Census. The family members present and their relationship to the head of the household were...
- Peter PESKETT, Head, Married, Male, age 69 years, b. Adversane, Sussex, England, Occupation - General Labourer
- Martha PESKETT, Wife, Married, Female, age 64 years, b. Arundel, Sussex, England
- Caroline YARROW, Daur, Widow, Female, age 44 years, b. Arundel, Sussex, England
- Rebecca PRINCE, Daur, Widow, Female, age 42 years, b. Arundel, Sussex, England, Occupation - Cook Domestic Servant
- Rhoda YARROW, Grand Daur, Unmarried, Female, age 20 years, b. Littlehampton, Sussex, England, Occupation - Dressmaker
- Richard W. YARROW, Grandson, Unmarried, Male, age 18 years, b. Littlehampton, Sussex, England, Occupation - Carpenter
- Albert PRINCE, Grandson, Male, age 15 years, b. Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, Occupation - Cabinet Maker
- Rebecca M. PRINCE, Grand Daur, Female, age 11 years, b. Ringwood, Hampshire, England, Occupation - Scholar
NOTE 1: Caroline PESKETT, b. 1837, Arundel, Sussex, m. Robert YARROW in 1859 at Littlehampton, Sussex.
NOTE 1: Rebecca PESKETT, b. 1839, Arundel, Sussex, m. Albert PRINCE in 1865 at Arundel, Sussex.
Richard PESKETT who apparently arrived at Portland, Victoria on the "Lizzie Webber" in December, 1852, became a brickmaker "Warrock", "Nangeela" & "Muntham" Stations near Casterton in southwest Victoria.
Richard PESKETT and his wife Martha both died at Casterton in 1921 and 1884 respectively.
Richard PESKETT & Martha Jane TYRER had the following known family:
- Richard PESKETT b. 1857, Coleraine, Vic, d. 1934, Cunnamulla, Queensland, m. Mary McDougall McKINNON at Wentworth, NSW and had the following known children in NSW. It appears that members of this branch later went to Cunnamulla in Queensland.
- Martha Ann PESKETT, b. 1879, Hay, NSW, m. Alexander R NEWTON
- Rebecca Mary PESKETT, b. 1881, Balranald, NSW, m. James YOUNG
- Richard PESKETT, b. 1883, Hay, NSW, .........?
- Rubina PESKETT, b. 1884, Hay, NSW, m. John Alexander HARVEY
- William PESKETT, b. 1886, Hay, NSW, m. Ann HERBERICH
- Henry Harwood PESKETT, b. 1888, Hay, NSW, m. Ida RYAN
- Charles Hugh PESKETT, b. 1890, Hay, NSW, m. Marsha Jane EVELYN ?
- John "Jack" PESKETT, b. 1892, Cunnamulla, QLD, m. Olga Anna Martha GRADING
- Mary Rebecca PESKETT b. 1859, Merino, Vic, d. 1939, m1. Richard ANDERSON, m2. John VICKERY
- male PESKETT b. 1860, d. 1860, 'Muntham Station', Carapook, Vic.
- William PESKETT b. 1861, Casterton, Vic, d. 1938, m1. Jessie Mary HATELEY, m2. Susan Abigail SYLVESTER
- Peter PESKETT b. 1864, 'Nangeela' Casterton, Vic, d. 1938, Casterton, Vic, m. Susannah MUTCH 1863-1897. Peter was a brickmaker and they had the following family...
- Martha PESKETT, b. 1885, Casterton, Vic, m. Reginald FOSTER
- Peter PESKETT, b. 1887, Casterton, Vic, m. Annie ?
- enlisted WW1, 4 Jan 1915
- served as Pte 1114, 4th & 13th Light Horse Regiments, AIF
- RTA 11 May 1919
- named on the Casterton Town Hall Honour Roll
- Harold PESKETT, b. 1889, Casterton, Vic, d. 1960.
Annie PESKETT, b. 1891, Casterton, Vic, m. David Emerson 'Harry' FEATHERSTON
Caroline Mary PESKETT, b. 1893, Casterton, Vic, m1. Michael Francis WHELAN, m2. Frederick MALES
George PESKETT, b. 1897, d. 1897, Casterton, Vic.
Henry Harwood PESKETT b. 1866, Sandford, Vic, d. 1868, Mt Gambier, SA, Aus.
Sarah Amy "Alice" PESKETT b. 1869, Edenhope, Vic, d. 1904, Melbourne, m1. William HANCOCK, m2, R. CAMERON ...............?
Rhoda PESKETT b. 1871, Merino, Vic, d. 1940, m. Charles CARMICHAEL, 1866-1951
Albert PESKETT b. 1873, Casterton, Vic, d. 1935, m. Ethel Mabel JONES 1892-1951.
- enlisted in WW1, 16 Sep 1914
- served as Pte 1018, 6th Field Ambulance, AIF
- RTA 8 Oct 1918
- tree in Drik Drik Avenue of Honour
- named on Drik Drik Honour Roll (Dartmoor Hall)
- named on marble tablet on Drik Drik Methodist Church
Caroline Vaudeline PESKETT b. 1877, Casterton, Vic, d. 1955, m. Matthew Patrick Simon BALL 1875-1968
- served in the Boer War, South Africa
- served as Pte 455, 6th Australian Commonwealth Horse
- presented with a gold medal for his services by the people of Casterton
Correction to Names.
Standing on the kiln, left-right : Children Peter Peskett, Valda Peskett, Allen PESKETT
& grandfather - Peter PESKETT
Valda Peskett (standing on the ute), Allen Peskett (at the front),
Peter Peskett (their father at the back),
Harold Peskett (brother of Peter, with the two dogs on his dairy farm at Drik Drik.)