Carapook & Bruk Bruk Schools
located between Casteron & Coleraine
Glenelg & Wannon Region, S-W Victoria, Australia
The location of Carapook School No.1969 is shown in this view (above) looking east from the Carapook Hall. The school was situated within the site defined by the tall eucalypt trees bordering the school reserve, behind the house built for Henry BURCHELL in 1928. Carapook SS No 1969 with residence attached shown on the right. (thanks to Laurie Burchell)
The three schools associated with the Carapook area were No. 915 Bruk Bruk situated two miles north of Carapook village and which appears to have commenced operating around 1865, followed by a temporary school No. 1624 Carapook, situated in leased premises two miles south east of Carapook village and opened on 21 Sep 1875 and the permanent school situated within the village of Carapook and known as No. 1969 Carapook which opened on 9 Oct 1877.
School No. 915 Bruk Bruk
This school was established as a vested common school in the Coleraine area, opening in a temporary building erected on a reserved site on 1st of July 1867. HT Wm. McBEAN held the position until 30th of April 1868. During the first year of operation the school had an a.a. of 26 (18 boys, 8 girls). The school became a Stae School in 1873 and finally closed on 8th of October 1877.
Bruk Bruk from an Aboriginal word for swamp oak is the parish to the north of Carapook and it had a Non Vested school established as early as 1865 and located two miles north of the village of Carapook. One of the early teachers was William McBEAN, son of William McBEAN (Snr) one of the signatures mentioned below. There is a letter dated 1 Nov 1865 from the Bruk Bruk School Committee to the Board of Education applying for aid under the Common Schools Act and signed by the following local residents on the school committee:
School No. 1624 Carrapook
Jessie J. DAVEY was the first HT of this school which opened on 21st of September 1875, School was held first in a rented building but a site was obtained on private ground in 1875 and next year a new school and quarters were built. In 1877 the a.a. was 16 (6 boys, 10 girls). This school was closed on 23rd of November 1877. A new school 1969 Carrapook was opened on 9th October 1877 by HT Caleb H. RADFORD. This school incorporated 1624 Carrapook and 915 Bruk Bruk which opened on 1st of July 1867 and closed on 8th of October 1877. Caleb H. RADFORD was HT of this school from 1872 until it closed. He remained at the new school (1969 Carrapook) until 1883.Carapook appears to have come from the Aboriginal word for hilly country. When the local residents petitioned for a Carapook school in 1875 a local resident John Stock, on 7 Apr 1875 offered to lease to the Education Department a brick cottage for school use at three pounds per annum. The Board decided to accept this offer pending a decision on the construction of a new school and School No 1624 Carapook eventually opened in the leased cottage on 21 Sep 1875 with Jessie J. Davey as Head Teacher and instruction commenced on 18 Oct 1875. This school was located 2 miles SSE of the village of Carapook and remained opened until until 23 Nov 1877. The average attendance during 1877 had been 16 pupils.
School No. 1969 Carapook
In August 1875 a group of 25 parents resident in the parishes of Bruk Bruk and Carapook petitioned the Hon. Angus MacKay M.L.A., Minister of Public Instruction, to establish a school on the government Reserve at Carapook. The petitioneers were advised that their application would be considered. Initially Carapook School No 1624 as mentioned above was commenced in leased premises until the new school was constructed. The key steps in the establishment of the new school were:
Carapook School Petition of 1875
Carapook Schools & Teachers from "Vision & Realisation"
Carapook, meaning 'hilly country' was named by the Aborigines. In 1837 the Henty Brothers took up the land around Coleraine, Casterton, Sandford, Merino and Runnymede. In the 1860s, when land was made available for selection, a consequent influx of families occurred. Perceiving the children's need, Elliot commenced a school on part of a property called 'Burnbank'. Children paid a shilling each, per day, to attend. Several years later, local residents built a permanent school building out of stone, and a residence on the same property. Known as Bruk Bruk School No 915, this commenced in 1867. The first HT William M. McBean stayed for ten months. In 1872 Caleb H. Radford became HT Then in 1877 Radford transferred with the school to a new stone building and residence in the Carapook village. This new school was known as Carapook SS 1969. Being on the present school site it is 3 miles SW of 'Burnbank'. Radford remained until 1883. During this time young women, and even young men with beards, attended the school.
HTs to follow included:
Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.