Casterton & District Historical Society Inc.
Chetwynd State School, No 2738
History of Chetwynd State School, No 2738
The School opened on the 25th February 1886 with Mr John P WATSON as the Head Teacher.
Mr Roland GREAVES succeeded Mr WATSON within a few months of opening.
Correspondence indicated that in June 1886 that Chetwynd No 2738 and Koolomert No 1893 were worked part time.
There were 23 children enrolled in June 1886 at Chetwynd No 2738 and 7 children at Koolomert No 1893.
The two schools were 11 miles apart.
The school was originally in a building which was leased by the Department from Mr George Bilston until February 1887 when a "portable school house" was erected on an allotted Chetwynd Township site. It was of wooden construction, could accommodate 30 children and a two roomed residence attached. The school was unfenced for some time and caused difficulties as indicated in a letter by Mr GREAVES in September 1887 stating:
"The school is situated in the township adjoining the Chetwynd common, upon which a great number of horses, cows etc roam at large. These straying stock make the school premises their camping ground and in the summer damage water tanks in their endeavor to get water".
The site was fenced in 1906.
A Departmental residence was competed in 1908 within the school boundaries and Mr D BLACK was the first married teacher to occupy it.
A former head teacher, Mr F W KEMP had died at Gallipoli in the First World War an is named on the Chetwynd School Honour Roll.
A tree planting project was completed in 1914 and extended in 1916.
A tennis court was formed in 1922
The floor of the shelter pavilion was cemented in 1932 having been an earth floor since its erection.
In 1955, a school building formerly in use at HILGAY was transported to the site as a replacement for the wooden construction, but this proved unsatisfactory and a new school building was built and opened in 1957.
In 1959 a dam was excavated on Crown land east of the school as a water supply for the school garden. A shelter shed was built on the original school building site.
In 1960, the HILGAY school building was damaged, even though it was never set up and was removed from the site.
A bus service was set up in 1960.
By 1962, the enrolments started to decline and this continued until its closure.
There were two other schools in Chetwynd District:
CHETWYND JUNCTION No 1777.
CHETWYND EAST No 2975
Head Teachers: Chetwynd State School, No 2738
Extracts from the booklet:
"Chetwynd State School No 2738 Centenary; 100 Years 1886-1986"