Jeremiah LEHANE 1843-1924
Anne Honora O'SULLIVAN 1844-1914
Co Cork, Ireland; Melbourne; Sandford; Bahgallah, near Casterton S-W Victoria, Australia
Jeremiah LEHANE b. 1843, Co Cork, Ireland, son of Patrick LEHANE & Mary CROWLEY, probably married in Co Cork, Ireland before 1864 to Anne Honora O'SULLIVAN, b. 1844, Co Cork, Ireland, daughter of John O'SULLIVAN & Ellen FLAHAVIN.
Jeremiah & Honora LEHANE along with four children (Mary 5, Patrick 3, Margaret 1 and Timothy 1) emigrated from Ireland and left Plymouth, England on the clipper ship "Gresham" in March 1869 and arrived at Hobson's Bay, Port Phillip in June 1869 as members of the 377 passengers on board.
The LEHANE family briefly settled at Sandford in 1869 before taking up land at nearby Bahgallah, 6 miles S-W of Casterton in S-W Victoria. The family farmed here, raised a family of 8 who attended the local Bahgallah school until Anne Honora died in 1914 and was buried in the Casterton new cemetery.
The youngest son Jeremiah was killed in France in 1916 as a member of the 7th Battalion, AIF.
Another son Timothy became a pupil teacher at Bahgallah school in 1887, then taught for 46 years in many schools around Victoria before retiring in 1933.
Jeremiah LEHANE died in 1924 and was also buried in the Casterton new cemetery.
Jeremiah LEHANE & Anne Hanora O'SULLIVAN had the following family...
- Mary Eliza LEHANE b. 1864, Co Cork, Ireland, d. 1954, Ballarat, Vic., m. William McCOMBE 1869-1935, frmers of Wando Vale, near Casterton, S-W Victoria.
- Patrick John LEHANE b. 1865, Co Cork, Ireland, d. 1964, Melbourne, Vic., m. Carrey Elizabeth UPTON 1867-1934, farmers of Bahgallah & Wootong Vale, near Coleraine, S-W Victoria.
- Margaret LEHANE b. 1868, Co Cork, Ireland, d. 1935, Casterton, Vic. [did not marry.]
- Timothy Robert LEHANE b. 1869, Co Cork, Ireland, d. 1950, Melbourne, Vic., m. Elizabeth Veronica KING 1875-1964. "Mr. Timothy R. Lehane, who retires, from the service of the Education Department at the end of the year (1933), has been teaching for 46 years. He joined as a junior teacher at Bahgallah, near Casterton. A few years were spent in various schools in that district. In 1899 he went to Irrewillipe East, then to Wattle Flat, Havelock, Fairfield, Myrtleford, Redan, Numurkah, Ashby, Ballarat, and finally to Chilwell in 1927."--The Argus"
- Ellen Mary LEHANE b. 1871, Casterton, S-W Victoria, d. 1949, Ballarat, Vic. [did not marry].
- John Thomas LEHANE b. 1873, Casterton, S-W Victoria, d. 1942, Hamilton, S-W Vic., m. Maude Mary AYRES 1880-1980.
- Jeremiah LEHANE b. 1876, Sandford, S-W Victoria, d. 1916, Somme, France.
Jeremiah was aged 38y, a farmer and single when he enlisted in the AIF as Pte 4229, on 6 Aug 1915. He embarked from Melbourne in Dec 1915 with the 13th reinforcements for the 7th Battalion, AIF and joined the Battalion in March, 1916 in Egypt. He served with the Battalion in France and was wounded in June and shipped to hospital in England. He recovered in England and rejoined the 7th Battalion in France in November 1916. Jeremiah was KIA at Flers, France on 22 Dec 1916 and has no known grave. Commemorated on...
- Honora Annie LEHANE b. 1881, Casterton, S-W Victoria, d. 1961, Ballarat, Vic., m. Thomas O'HEHIR 1881-1963.