Chetwynd Junction SS 1777

North of Casterton, South-West Victoria, Australia



Chetwynd Junction school opened on 19th of October 1876 with Thomas WYNNIAT as first HT of the 18 children enrolled. A site of Crown land approximately 4 miles N of Chetwynd Township on the Chetwynd Junction Rd, now known as Chetwynd east Rd, was gazetted for the school on 15th of May 1874. Shortly afterwards the Department spent 199 1s 4d on the erection of a portable schoolhouse. The building was a painted, pine-wood construction, with accomodation for 30 pupils and two room quarters attached. Details of the external appearance include, two chimneys, two square 400 gallon water tanks and two large windows, one each end of the N and S ends. Throughout the years that the school remained in operation, the enrolment varied from 25 to 13. On 31st of March 1892, the quarters were moved to 1543 Connewirricoo to serve as a residence there. Chetwynd Junction school closed on 19th of December 1896. The building was removed to Edenhope where it served as an extra classroom.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.