Tallangower SS 1871 (Chetwynd)

5 miles West of Chetwynd, South-West Victoria, Australia



Tallangower School commenced in the 1870s with an enrolment of 60 and with SCHULTZE as an early HT. The school was situated 5 miles W of Chetwynd on the Tallangower road. The building was of the slab type, approximately 30ftx24ft with a partition down the centre separating the classroom from the two small rooms which served as teacher's quarters. Between 1899 and 1901, and from 1903 to 1906, the school operated on a a part-time basis with Chetwynd East. The school closed for a short period, re-opening again in 1907, when it functioned part-time with a school at Power's Creek. Enrolment fell and the school closed again. In 1920, when it re-opened, it did so on an adjoining site - the previous building having been sold. The school remained operational until it finally closed in 1945.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.