Meereek or Langkoop SS 2633

West of Casterton, South-West Victoria, Australia



The first school built on the Edenhope Rd by residents and rented to the Department, opened on 25th of September 1884. It was known as 2633 Meereek until 1933 when the Committee changed the name to Langkoop. The first HT was Franz STIELOW (1884-86). The first Committee met on the 16th of April 1931 with F. FALCONER in the chair and Mrs. MURRAY as Secretary. At this meeting an application for a new school was made resulting in the opening of the present building on 30th of August 1935. It is sited at the junction of Penola and Casterton Rds in the Parish of Langkoop.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.