Chetwynd East SS 2975

North of Casterton, Victoria, Australia



The school opened in a leased building situated about 5 miles from Chetwynd Junction on the Harrow Rd on 25th of November 1889. The building was described as a bush hut, constructed of tough timber. Jessie McNAUGHTON was the first HT and 12 children representing only three or four families. During 1899-1901 and 1903-1906 the school operated half-time with SS1871 Tallangower. The school closed in 1906.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.