William Henry TUCKETT J.P. 1818-1904
Elizabeth HALL 1820-1903
Bristol, England; Melbourne, Port Phillip; "Springbank" station, Casterton S-W Victoria, Australia
William Henry TUCKETT b. 1818, Bristol, England , son of ....... & ........... was married at Melbourne, Port Phillip in 1845 to Elizabeth HALL, b. 1820, Bristol, England, daughter of Henry HALL & Elizabeth BRAMWELL.
William TUCKETT arrived at Port Phillip in 1841 on the "Ward Shipton" and worked in a number of businesses before acquiring the "Springbank" squatting run, on the Glenelg River, near Casterton, S-W Victoria in 1862. Tow more children were born at "Springbank" in 1862 & 1865 and his eldest daughter Harriet Martha TUCKETT married John YOUNG from Ireland at "Springbank" in 1866. While at Casterton he called and chaired a very important meeting, leading to the formation of the Glenelg District Road Board, the forerunner to the Glenelg Shire Council.
Source : "Portland Guardian and Normanby General Advertiser" (Vic.) Saturday, 6th September 1862.
Casterton, 19th August, 1862.
TO WILLIAM HENRY TUCKETT, ESQ., J.P.
SIR,--We, the undersigned Land and House-holders request you to convene a Public Meeting, for the purpose of forming a District Road Board in accordance with the Act of Victoria 16, No 40.
We have the honor to be,
J. H., Jackson, Sandford.
In compliance with the above requisition, I hereby convene a Meeting of the Landholders and Householders of Casterton, Coleraine, Merino, and Digby, to be holden at the Court house, Casterton, on Wednesday, the 10th day of September, at 11 a.m. for the purpose of forming a District Road Board.
William Robertson, Wando Vale.
Owen O'Rielly, Cashmere.
Henry Davis, Casterton.
George Chaffey, Casterton.
John Livock, householder, Casterton.
George (his + mark) Cook, householder, Casterton.
John Stewart, Casterton.
Reginald A. Bell, Casterton.
Edward C. Courtis, Casterton.
Caleb Radford, Casterton.
W. H. TUCKETT J. P. Casterton, 19th August, 1862.
William & Elizabeth had a family of 9 from 1846 to 1865. The pastoral pursuit was financially very unsuccessful and the family left "Springbank" station on the Glenelg and returned to Melbourne by 1869, where William founded and Accounting firm named "Messrs. W. H. Tuckett and Sons" and worked there until he retired in 1900.
Mary died in Melbourne in 1903 and William the next year in 1904.
William Henry TUCKETT & Elizabeth HALL had the following family...
- Harriet Martha TUCKETT b. 1846, Melbourne, Port Phillip, d. 1928, Melbourne, Vic., m. at "Springbank" station to John YOUNG ~1834-..?...
- Julia Elizabeth TUCKETT b. 1848, Melbourne, Port Phillip, d. 1927, Gisborne, Vic.
- Mary Ellen TUCKETT b. 1850, Melbourne, Port Phillip, d. 1895, Melbourne, Vic.
- Charles Helton TUCKETT b. 1852, Melbourne, Vic., d. 1922, Melbourne, Vic.
- William Henry TUCKETT b. 1853, Melbourne, Vic., d. 1885, Melbourne, Vic.
- Ann Florence TUCKETT b. 1855, Melbourne, Vic., d. 1932, Macedon, Vic.
- Theodosia TUCKETT b. 1858, Melbourne, Vic, d. 1933, Geelong, Vic., m. 1884 to Walter James ANDERSON 1859-1930.
- Edith Maude TUCKETT b. 1862, "Springbank" station, Casterton, S-W Vic, d. 1932, Macedon, Vic., m. 1887 to Roland STRACHAN 1858-1925.
- Philip Sidney TUCKETT b. 1865, "Springbank" station, Casterton, S-W Vic, d. 1936, Melbourne, Vic., m. 1888 to Ada Marion Haton BULL 1863-1923.