Brit Brit SS 1332

"Rosebank Farm" 12 miles North East of Coleraine



The original school known locally as "Rosebank Farm School", was situated on the Balmoral Rd, Brit Brit, 12 miles N of Coleraine. It was built and opened about 1874, closed for a period at a later date, but re-opened in 1900. The first HT was J. BAYFORD. After working part time with Tahara Bridge, and then with Gritjurk, the school closed in 1910 and the building was removed to Konongwootong in 1913. By 1927 the sub-division of Gringegalgona Estate for settlement by returned servicemen had created the need for a school, and for a time, HT McLEAN taught children in the backroom of the Brit Brit Post Office. In 1928 a portable building was moved to Brit Brit from Gatum and sited in Hodson's Lane, Crown Allotment 2, Sub-division of Robertson's Gringegalgona Estate, part of the Parish of Wategat in the County of Dundas. The school closed in 1948, the building becoming part of Balmoral Consolidated School.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.