Coojar SS 4622

North of Coleraine, South-West Victoria, Australia



Early in 1945 Max BURGE of Coleraine wrote to Hon. T. HOLLOWAY, Minister of Education, seeking the establishment of a school in the Coojar district, adjacent to the Coleraine-Hamilton Rd. A few days later DI Eugene GILLARD recommended the establishment of a full-time school on a 2 acre site. HOLLOWAY approved the recommendation and suggested the removal of the closed school building from Victoria Valley to the site. SS4622 Coojar opened on 14th of April 1947, with Elga BOURKE as HT, in a small portable type building situated on land purchased from J. WATSON. The Pigeon Ponds school, 5 miles away, had closed some time previously and the school opened at Coojar to cater for the children of the district. The numbers fluctuated between 8 and 20, and during the nine years it was open the school had three permanent teachers: Messrs A. EVANS, P. BRENNAN and B. GILL. The school closed in December 1955, when the 8 remaining pupils transferred to Balmoral Consolidated School. The building was shifted to Timboon where it became the lands Department Office.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.