Dairy or Mumbannar SS 1354

Dartmoor, South_West Victoria, Australia



Until 1917, when a parents' request for a change was granted, Mumbannar School was called either Dairy or Dairy Dartmoor School. The original school opened in 1873 with a NE of 25 pupils, in a rough makeshift building, 30ftx15ft with 7ft walls, erected by farmers from bark slabs. Sited on the SW corner of Thomas SMITH's selection, the structure was sold for 21s in 1878 and the existing stone building erected. The first HT Edward MEYER was followed by HT HENRY.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.