Nelson SS 1615

South_West Victoria, Australia



In 1875 the government acquired the use of two buildings, one a fisherman's hut on the west bank of the Glenelg River, the other an old residence about mile E. James Miller DUNBAR was placed in charge of these schools and on 15th of July 1875, he began working them on a part-time basis. In 1876 two new government buildings were erected, one on the W side and the other, No 1615, about 1 miles E of the river. As the population of the W side decreased the school was removed to 2397 Ardno, and SS1615 Nelson became a full-time school with an a.a. of 30 pupils. In 1907, because of declining numbers, the school worked part-time with Mouzie, a school half-way between Nelson and Portland. In 1920, Mouzie closed and 1615 Nelson became full-time again. In April 1925 the school was transferred to the local church where it continued until 1928 when the present building, a single classroom, weatherboard school, was erected about mile E of the river. The first HT of the new school was James MOLONEY, who enrolled 20 pupils in February 1928.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.