John BARCLAY 1807-1877
Janet JOHNSTON 1807-1887
Scotland ; Greenvale & Heywood, S-W Victoria, Australia
John BARCLAY was born in Calton, Barony, Lanarkshire Scotland in 1807, the son of James BARCLAY and Rosanna MURPHY from Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He married Janet JOHNSTON who was born in Scotland, ca 1807, the daughter of William JOHNSTON & Elizabeth HIGGINS.
John BARCLAY, his wife Janet and six children arrived at Port Phillip in 1841 and in 1846 he occupied a pastoral lease between Heywood and Hotspur which he named "Greenvale". This Pastoral Run went from 4 miles south east of Hotspur to Sunday Creek, north of Heywood.
John BARCLAY built an inn at Sunday Creek which he named the "Greenvale Inn".
John BARCLAY died in 1877 and his wife Janet in 1887.
John BARCLAY and Janet JOHNSTONE had the following known family:
- James BARCLAY b. 1827, Glasgow, Scotland, d. 1858, ___, Vic., m. ___ Elizabeth BALLINGALL c1815-1862, and had the following known child...
- Johnson Blanes BARCLAY, b. 1857, Portland, Vic, ..........?
- Mary BARCLAY b. 1832, Glasgow, Scotland, m. 1848, Victoria to Thomas JENKINSON and they had the following known family...
- Janet "Jessie" JENKINSON, b. 1850, "The Grange", Vic, d. 1936, m. 1867, Thomas TREWIN.
- Andrew Barclay JENKINSON, b. 1851, "The Grange", Vic, d. ......, m. 1889, Margaret Maree SCHMIDT.
- William JENKINSON, b. c1853, , Vic, d. 1913, m. ...........
- Alexander JENKINSON, b. 1856, Belfast, Vic, d. 1881, m. ...........
- Lily Marie JENKINSON, b. 1858, Belfast, Vic, d. 1943, m. 1883, John Isaac BULT.
- Thomas JENKINSON, b. 1860, Ballarat, Vic, d. 1860.
- Thomas Horace JENKINSON, b. 1863, Creswick, Vic, d. 1866.
- Hulda Minnie JENKINSON, b. 1865, Linton, Vic, d. 1946, m. 1887, John BEEBE.
- Ernest Charles JENKINSON, b. 1868, Springdallah, Vic, d. ......, m. ...........
- Frank Harold JENKINSON, b. 1871, Happy Valley, Vic, d. 1872.
- John BARCLAY b. 1834, Glasgow, Scotland, d. 1910 Naracoorte, SA, m. 1857 Ann Adelaide CAREY 1835-1912 from Jersey. Ann A BARCLAY signed the 1891 Women's Suffrage Petition at Coleraine in 1891. John died at Naracoorte, SA in 1910 and Ann also died there in 1912.
John BARCLAY & Ann Adelaide CAREY had the following known family...
- Alexander William BARCLAY, b. 1859, Portland, Vic, m. Ann PETRIE
- John Carey BARCLAY, b. 1861, Greenvale, Vic, m. Isabella SHAW
- Elizabeth BARCLAY, b. 1863, Heywood, Vic, d. 1872
- Sarah BARCLAY, b. 1864, Branxholme, Vic, m. Donald McINNES
- George Huelin BARCLAY, b. 1867, Co Dundas, Vic, m. Lucy Jane JAMES
- Theophilus BARCLAY, b. 1868, Co Dundas, Vic, m. Louisa Amelia STURTZEL
- Alfred BARCLAY, b. 1872, ___, d. 1947, SA, m. Maud May LEWIS 1874-1958
- James Clarence BARCLAY, b. 1873, ___, d. ___, m. Agnes Fleming JOHNSTONE 1877-1946
- Samuel BARCLAY, b. 1875, Kilmore, Vic., d. ___, m. Martha Louise PEAK 1875-1954
- Elizabeth Adelaide BARCLAY, b. 1877, ___, Vic. d. 1959, SA
- Annie Maud BARCLAY, b. 1878, d. 1878, Coleraine, Vic
- Joseph BARCLAY, b. 1879, Coleraine, Vic., d. 1950, SA m. Portia Priscilla Hannah KITCH 1878-1970
- Charles BARCLAY, b. 1881, Tarrayoukyan, Vic, m. Virginia Edith MARTIN
- Edwin Ballington BARCLAY, b. 1885, Tarrayoukyan, Vic, m. Lottie Anderson BARREY
- Alexander BARCLAY b. 1836, Glasgow, Scotland, son of John BARCLAY and Janet JOHNSTONE was married in 1866, Victoria to Jessie Ann BELL b. 1850 Glasgow, Scotland, daughter of Daniel BELL and Elizabeth SHAND. They lived at Greenvale, near Heywood, Stokesdale (Digby) and 'The Wheat Sheaf Inn', Portland. Alexander & Jessie BARCLAY had the following family:
- Evangeline BARCLAY b. 1866, Greenvale (Heywood), Vic., d. 1891;
- Edgar James BARCLAY b. 1868, Greenvale (Heywood), Vic., d. 1947, WA, m. Lynda Louise STABB 1874-1923;
- Alexander BARCLAY b. 1869, Stokesdale (Digby), Vic, d. 1952, Vic, m. Lucy IRVINE 1870-1941;
- Percival BARCLAY b. 1871, Stokesdale (Digby), Vic, d. 1897, Vic., m. Rosine Priscilla CHAMBERS 1875-1960;
- Elizabeth Bell BARCLAY b. 1873, Digby, Vic., ...................?;
- Margaret BARCLAY b. 1874, d. 1874 Digby, Vic;
- Charles BARCLAY b. 1875, Greenvale (Heywood), Vic, d. 1952, Vic., m. Annie GLEESON 1878-1960;
- Infant BARCLAY b. & d. 1877, Heywood, Vic;
- John BARCLAY b. 1879, Portland, Vic., d, 1955, Vic;
- Ellen May BARCLAY b. 1881 Portland, Vic., d. 1953, Vic. m. Francis Ernest CUTTING 1882-1963;
- William Leslie BARCLAY b. 1883, Portland, Vic., d. 1964, Vic., m. Melba Clare STOCKS 1890-1968;
- Jesie BARCLAY b. & d. 1885 Carlton, Vic;
- Annie BARCLAY b. & d. 1886 Carlton, Vic.
- William Johnston BARCLAY b. ca 1838, Glasgow, Scotland, m. 1863 Celia Jane SALMON (nee CAREY, sister of Ann Adelaide CAREY) widow of Jabez SALMON and they had the following known family and later moved to South Australia where Celia died in 1906 and William in 1916.
- Celia BARCLAY, b. 1864, Heywood, Vic, d. 1934, m. William HOUNSLOW 1860-1949
- Sophia BARCLAY, b. 1865, Heywood, Vic, d. 1898, m. John Harvey SMITH 1860-1936
- Arthur Johnston BARCLAY, b. 1868, Digby, Vic, d. 1953, WA, m. Maria May LILLYWHITE 1871-1952
- Anne BARCLAY, b. 1869, Merino, Vic, d. 1939, SA, m. George Bagot LORRAIN 1860-1946
- William Emil BARCLAY, b. 1877, Digby, Vic., d. 1940, SA.
- Janet BARCLAY b. ca 1840, Glasgow, Scotland, m. 1864 James BANNAM 1840-1925, from Norfolk. James took over the "Greenvale Inn" after the death of Maria's father in 1877. James BANNAM and Janet BARCLAY had the following family.....
- Francis William BARCLAY, b. 1862, Greenvale, Vic, m. Catherine BELL
- James BANNAM, b. 1865, Heywood, Vic, m. Mary Ellen MASON
- Maria BANNAM, b. 1867, Heywood, Vic, m. Robert Henry HERBERTSON
- Mary Ann BANNAM, b. ca 1870, Heywood, Vic, m. Edwin John FIELD
- Robert BANNAM, b. 1871, Myamyn, Vic, m. Isabella Margaret Jane SHARROCK
- William BANNAM, b. 1873, Heywood, Vic
- John BANNAM, b. 1873, Heywood, Vic, m1. Clara Elizabeth PRICE, m2. Annie Isabelle ASTBURY
- Alexander BANNAM, b. ca 1876, Heywood, Vic, m. Sophia Rosina FIELD
- Arthur BANNAM, b. 1877, Heywood, Vic, d. 1895 (Sawmill explosion)
- Janette BANNAM, b. 1880, Heywood, Vic, ____?
- Henry Johnston BANNAM, b. 1883, Heywood, Vic, m. Jessie FIELD
- Robert BARCLAY b. 1843, Werribee, Vic, m. 1869 Maria BANNAM, c1850-1930, from Norfolk, sister of John BANNAM above. Robert BARCLAY was killed in a sawmill explosion in 1895. Robert BARCLAY and Maria BANNAM had the following known family....
- Robert Gordon BARCLAY, b. 1869, Heywood, Vic., d. 1959, m. Amelia Jane CUNDY 1870-1945
- John James BARCLAY, b. 1872, Heywood, Vic, d. 1944, m. Mary Ann NEWTON 1872-1943
- Sarah Letitia BARCLAY, b. 1874, Heywood, Vic, d. 1944, m. Malcolm McGREGOR 1877-1963
- Alfred Ernest BARCLAY, b. 1876, Greenvale, Vic, d. 1951, m. Mary EVANS 1886-1951
- William Francis BARCLAY, b. 1881, Heywood, Vic., d. 1952, m. Emma CAMPBELL 1885- ? .
- Helen BARCLAY, b. 1883, d. 1883, Heywood, Vic
- Edith Janet BARCLAY, b. 1884, d. 1895, Heywood, Vic
- Kate Maria BARCLAY, b. 1887, Myamyn, Vic, d. 1891
- Herbert Victor BARCLAY, b. 1891, d. 1891, Heywood, Vic
- Clarence Leslie Valentine BARCLAY, b. 1893, Heywood, Vic., d. 1951, m. Lillian May Frances CHRISTIAN 1896-1954
- Anne BARCLAY b. 1847, Sunday Creek (Heywood), Vic, d. ....., m. 1865, to George THOMAS and they had the following known family...
- Eliza THOMAS, b. 1865, Heywood, Vic, d. 1869.
- Annie THOMAS, b. 1867, Heywood, Vic, d. 1951, m. .... OSBORNE
- Robert THOMAS, b. 1869, Heywood, Vic, d. ....
- Robert THOMAS, b. 1871, Macarthur, Vic, d. 1948, m. .......?
- Joseph THOMAS, b. 1875, Hamilton, Vic, d. ...., m. .......?
- Mary THOMAS, b. 1879, Heywood, Vic, d. 1956, m. ..... SUTHERLAND
- Jessie THOMAS, b. 1882, Heywood, Vic, d. 1963, m. ..... SHEPHERD
Updated information thanks to Harry Firns, Western Australia.