Edward Henry CLARKE 1847-1918
Elizabeth Shand TAYLOR 1854-1906
Co Tipperary, Ireland; Lincolnshire, England; Digby, S-W Victoria, Australia
Edward Henry CLARKE, b. 1847, Co Tipperary, Ireland, son of Edward Henry CLARKE, a British soldier, and Ann SAWYER, married in 1873 at ____, Vic to Elizabeth Shand TAYLOR daughter of John TAYLOR and Maria SIMKIN.
Ann SAWYER, mother of Edward CLARKE was widowed in England and married Joseph GULL in 1849. Joseph GULL and new family including Edward CLARKE from Ann's first marriage sailed from Gravesend, England to Portland, S-W Victoria, Australia in 1852 on the "Helen". Edward CLARKE moved north to Digby, S-W Victoria with his new family, where his step-father Joseph GULL selected land.
Edward CLARKE and Elizabeth TAYLOR had the following family:
- Edward Henry CLARKE b. 1875, Digby, Vic, d. 1923;
- Grace Elizabeth CLARKE b. 1877, Digby, Vic d. 1925, m. William Francis WATERS 1869-1932;
- Rose Alice CLARKE b. 1880 Digby, Vic, d. 1958, m. Robert Herd JACOBSON 1871-1935;
- Lilian May CLARKE b. 1881 Digby, Vic, d. 1943, m. Thomas Nathaniel BURGESS 1870-1956;
- Hannah "Anna" Maria CLARKE b. 1883 Digby, Vic, d. ......?, m. William MILLER 1877-1952;
- William Stephen CLARKE b. 1885 Digby, Vic, d. 1944, m. Emily Mary BURGESS 1885-1958;
- Adela Maud CLARKE b. 1887, Digby, Vic, d. 1954, m. William James WOMBWELL 1873-1964;
- Elizabeth Annie CLARKE b. 1890, Digby, Vic, d. 1981, m. James John McDONALD 1884-1962;
- John Joseph CLARKE b. 1896, Digby, Vic, d. 1963, Melbourne, m. Ethel Rubina CASSIDY 1889-1973.
- WW1 1st AIF 5th Battalion, enlisted 30 Jul 1915
- WW1 1st AIF 5th Battalion (14th reinforcements), embarked "Themistocles" 28 Jan 1916
- WW1 1st AIF 46th Battalion, transferred from 5th Battalion, 31 Mar 1916
- WW1 1st AIF 46th Battalion, arrived France, 8 Jun 1916
- WW1 1st AIF 46th Battalion, RTA 9 Mar 1919 per "Kashmire"
- Digby Avenue of Honour Tree No 12, planted by Mrs E H CLARKE