James COFFEY 1842-1928 & Adelaide Sophia WHITAKER ~1844-1930
Melbourne, Ballarat, Grassdale (nr Digby) & Henty (nr Merino), Victoria, Australia
Railway Stationmaster at Grassdale (nr Digby) & Henty (nr Merino), S-W Victoria, Australia
James COFFEY b. 1842, Melbourne, Port Phillip, son of Christopher COFFEY and Margaret CARROLL was married at Ballarat in 1868 to Adelaide Sophia WHITAKER, b. ~1844, Melbourne, Port Phillip, daughter of William WHITAKER and Elizabeth CONNOR.
1856-1877 : James COFFEY was a gold-miner at Ballarat
1878 : James COFFEY joined the railways at Ballarat.
1884-1888 : James COFFEY was Stationmaster at Grassdale Railway Station, near Digby, S-W Victoria.
1885 : George, youngest child of James COFFEY was born at Grassdale, near Digby, S-W Victoria.
1887 : Adelaide COFFEY, aged 7y, died at Grassdale, near Digby, and was buried in the Digby Cemetery, S-W Victoria.
1888-~1892 : James COFFEY was Stationmaster at Henty Railway Station, near Merino, S-W Victoria.
~1892-1912 : James COFFEY was Stationmaster at Mentone Railway Station, Melbourne, Victoria.
1912-1928 : James COFFEY lived in retirement at Mentone, Melbourne, Victoria.
1928 : James & Adelaide COFFEY celebrated their Diamond Wedding anniversary at Mentone.
1928 : James COFFEY died at Mentone aged 86y.
1930 : Adelaide COFFEY died at Mentone aged 85y.
James COFFEY & Adelaide Sophia WHITAKER had the following family....
- William James COFFEY b. 1869, Ballarat, Vic., d. 1955, Melbourne, Vic., m. Amy CLARKE 1872-1950. William was a Bank Manager of Melbourne, 2 of his sons served with the 1st AIF;
- Victoria Georgeanna COFFEY b. 1871, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1949, Melbourne, Vic., m. Harold Cromwell PRICE 1873-1923;
- Christopher Gloster COFFEY b. 1873, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1921, Melbourne, Vic., m. Agnes Mary BROOK ~1881-1954;
- Elizabeth Sophia "Bessie" COFFEY b. 1876, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1970, Melbourne, Vic.;
- Frederick Joseph COFFEY b. 1877, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1930, Adelaide, SA., m. Iris Stella HEINEMANN 1891-1962. Frederick was a Taxation Consultant and racehorse owner of Adelaide, SA;
- Adelaide Frances COFFEY b. 1880, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1887, Grassdale, Vic., buried in the Digby Cemetery;
- Albert John COFFEY b. 1882, Bungaree, Vic., d. 1947, Melbourne, Vic., m. Elizabeth May CHENNEY 1893-1938. Albert was bank employee in Melbourne.;
- George Denis COFFEY b. 1885, Grassdale, near Digby, Vic., d. 1972, Sydney, NSW, m. 1921, SA to Constance Elizabeth DUMAS 1889-1950. George was a bank employee in Adelaide and Sydney.;
- school pupil at SS 2020, Henty, S-W Victoria
- bank employee, Adelaide, SA when he enlisted in the AIF in 1917
- Pte 6802, 27th Battalion, AIF, enlisted 6 Feb 1917
- Pte 6802, 48th Battalion, AIF, served in France 1918-1919
- Pte 6802, 48th Battalion, AIF, discharged Melbourne, 8 Nov 1919
- Named on Henty State School No. 2020 Honour Roll