James GRANT 1824-1898 & Euphemia McQUEEN c.1815-1904
Isle of Skye, Scotland; Digby, S-W Victoria, Australia
James GRANT b. c.1824, Isle of Skye, Scotland, son of Malcolm GRANT and Mary McLEAN was probably married about 1846 on the Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, Scotland, to Euphemia McQUEEN b. c.1815 Isle of Skye, Inverness, Scotland.
James GRANT 29y, Euphemia GRANT 32y, Donald GRANT 3y, Mary GRANT 2y and Ann GRANT 1y emigtated and arrived in Portland on the "John Davies" in November 1852. Margaret & Duncan GRANT were born at Digby, Victoria in 1854 and 1855 respectively.
James GRANT died in 1898 and Euphemia in 1904 and both were buried in the Digby Cemetery.
James GRANT and Euphemia McQUEEN had the following known children:
- Donald GRANT b. 1848, Isle of Skye, Scotland, d. 1897, m1. Mary Elizabeth SIMKIN 1854-1885, m2. Annie Eliza BURGESS 1860-1888. Donald GRANT b. 1848 Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, Scotland, son of James GRANT and Euphemia McQUEEN was married in 1874, Victoria to Mary Elizabeth SIMKIN, b. ca 1854 Digby, Vic, dau of John SIMKIN and Sarah Ann WYE. Mary died at Digby in 1885 after having six children and Donald then married Annie Eliza BURGESS, daughter of Nathaniel Robert BURGESS and Annie Eliza BURGESS in 1887, but she died in 1888.
Donald GRANT, aged 3 years arrived in Portland on the "John Davies" in 1852 along with his parents and sisters Mary and Ann.
Donald GRANT was a member of the Digby Ancient Order of Foresters from 1876-1879 and rejoined in 1882.
Four of Donald GRANT's children attended Digby School between 1883-1891.
Donald GRANT died "of a weak heart" on the bank of the Avon River, Western Australia in April 1897.
Donald GRANT and Mary SIMKIN had the following children...
- Euphemia GRANT b. 1874, Digby, Vic, d. 1952, m. James Frederick COX 1877-1959;
- John James Robert GRANT b. 1875, Digby, Vic, d. 1948 Trentham, Vic;
- Donald Angus GRANT b. 1878, d. 1878, Digby, Vic;
- Sarah Margaret GRANT b. 1879, Digby, Vic, d. 1956, Sale, Vic;
- Annie Elizabeth GRANT b. 1881, Digby, Vic, d. 1881;
- Kenneth Lee GRANT b. 1883, Digby, Vic, d. 1926 Prahran, Vic, m. Rose Ellen BROOKS
- WW1, enlisted in the 1st AIF 13-03-1916
- WW1 1st AIF, served with 38th & 60th Battalion & AFC
- gassed in France, RTA 19-10-1918
- married, 1918 England, to Rose Ellen BROOKS
- Digby Avenue of Honour Tree No 45, planted by Mrs R J BURGESS
- Mary GRANT b. 1850, Isle of Skye, Sctland, d. 1925, Merino, Vic, m. 1876 to John HOLLARD;
- Ann GRANT b. 1852, Isle of Skye, Scotland, d. , m. ;
- Margaret GRANT b. 1854, Digby, Vic, d. 1933, Ararat, Vic, m. 1875, Charles Henry HOLLARD;
- Duncan GRANT b. 1855, Digby, Vic, d. 1933, Colac, Vic ???, m. _____;