Thomas HANCOCK 1837-1902 & Emma CLARKE 1849-1918
Gloucestershire, England; NSW; Digby, S-W Victoria, Australia
Thomas HANCOCK b. 1837, Gloucestershire, England, son of Charles HANCOCK and Hannah ___ and Emma CLARKE, b. 1849 Brighton, NSW, daughter of William Arthur CLARKE and Esther STEVENSON were married in 1870 at Mount Gambier, SA, Australia.
Thomas HANCOCK died in Digby in 1902 and his widow Emma died in Hamilton in 1918.
Emma's mother Esther CLARKE (nee STEVENSON) died in Digby and was buried in the Digby Cemetery in 1899.
NOTE: There is some uncertainty regarding the South Australian and NSW connections for Thomas HANCOCK and Emma CLARKE. Any clarification of these family groups would be appreciated.
Thomas HANCOCK and Emma CLARKE had the following children:
- Annie Theresa LYONS / CLARKE b. 1869, Caroline, SA, dau of Emma CLARKE, m. Arthur Edmond BALL;
- Joseph James HANCOCK b. 1871, Caroline, SA, mar. Violet SIMKIN;
- Herbert Claude 'Sandy' HANCOCK b. 1898, Digby, Vic, m. Annie Margaret SULLIVAN
- WW1 1st AIF, 58th & 59th Battalion, enlisted 22-08-1916
- RTA 15-05-1919
- Digby Avenue of Honour Tree No 30, planted by Mrs J HANCOCK
- Glenorchy Estate Soldier Settler
- William Robin HANCOCK b. 1900, Digby, Vic, m. Edith May DIWELL
- WW1 1st AIF 39th Battalion, enlisted 19-02-1918
- RTA 20-07-1919
- Digby Avenue of Honour Tree No 82, planted by Miss Laura HANCOCK
- Laura Josephine HANCOCK b. Digby, Vic, m. Allan TAYLOR;
- Doris Catherine HANCOCK b. 1905, Digby, Vic, m. Albert McCLINTOCK;
- Kathleen Mary HANCOCK b. 1909, Digby, Vic, m. Gordon Thomas WOMBWELL;
- Ellis Gerald HANCOCK b. 1913, Digby, Vic. m. Nora LAWRENCE.
- Charles HANCOCK b. 1873;
- George Arthur HANCOCK b. 1876, Dartmoor, Vic, m. Mary Susan WOMBWELL;
- William Henry HANCOCK b. 1878, m. Dorothy Jeanette BRUNTON;
- Matilda 'Martha' HANCOCK b. 1880, Dartmoor, Vic, m. William COOPER;
- John Thomas HANCOCK b. 1884, Dartmoor, Vic.
D. J. HANCOCK was listed as one of the buyers of the first Digby town allotments.