John HILL 1808-1883 & Emily GIBBS 1830-1920
Birmingham, England; Tasmania, Digby, Hotspur & Merino, Victoria, Australia
John HILL b. 1808, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, occupation Laborer, m. 25 Jan 1850, in Hotspur, Parish of St. Stephen, Portland to Emily GIBBS, b. 1830, Somerset, England, (daughter of Samuel GIBBS and Emily DURBAN) d. 22 Dec 1920, St. Arnaud, buried, St.Arnaud.
John HILL spent 7 years in Tasmania and 35 years in Victoria before his death in 1883 at Merino and he was buried at Merino. John was employed as a shepherd at "Merino Downs" Station and conducted a Blacksmith business in Merino.
Emily GIBBS arrived on the 'British Empire' with her brother Edward GIBBS, his wife Thomasine and daughter Mary.
John HILL and Emily GIBBS had the following children born at Merino...
- Jane HILL b. 1851, Merino, m. 31 Dec 1872, in Clunes, Donald BRUCE, b. c 1830, Invernesshire, occupation Farmer. Jane died 1942, Portarlington. aged 90
- Mary Ann HILL b. 1853, Merino, m. 1872, Micheal COLLINS. Mary died 1936, Ballan, aged 83
- John HILL b. 1855, Merino Down, Vic, m. 1879, in Heywood, Annie Maria WHEELER, b. 1860, d. 20 Jun 1952, buried: Ballarat New Cemetery. John died 7 May 1936, Ballarat, buried: 8 May 1936, Ballarat New Cemetery, lived Eureka St, Ballarat.
- Susan HILL b. 1856, m. 1873, George ANNETT, b. 1846, Kent, England, d. 1933, Bendigo. Susan died 1928, Hamilton.
- Thurza HILL also known as: Thyrza HILL b. 1857, Casterton, m. (1) 1877, in Stawell, Angus McKENZIE, b. 1838, (son of Farquhar McKenzie and Annie McDonald) d. 15 Jun 1895, Gre Gre, buried: St.Arnaud Presbyterian, m. (2) in St.Arnaud, Richard HILL, b. 1870, Gre Gre North, (son of John Hill and Margaret Cameron) d. 16 Mar 1943, St.Arnaud, buried: St.Arnaud. Thurza died 28 Jan 1942, buried: St.Arnaud.
- Emily HILL b. 1859, Merino Downs, m. 1884, John AYDON, b. c 1844, Newcastle-on-Tyne, (son of John Aydon and Alice Turner) d. 1907, Ararat, m. William Atkinson. Emily died 1923, Warrnambool. Emily had illegitimate child, Agnes prior to marriage to Aydon Divorced by John Aydon? 1891-1892 He appears to have remarried Mary Watson and then Marina McGinnes Emily was Mrs Atkinson in 1920 when her mother died No marriage for Emily and William Atkinson found bur her death registered as Atkinson and a child, Joseph William's death also found.
- Eliza HILL b. 1861, Merino, m. 31 Jul 1879, in Clunes, Neil CLARKE, b. 6 Feb 1855, Brighton, (son of George Clarke and Janet McLeod) d. 9 Nov 1923, Melbourne, buried: St.Arnaud. Eliza died 10 Jul 1946, St.Arnaud, buried: St.Arnaud.
- William HILL b. 1863, d. 6 Sep 1903, St.Arnaud, buried: St.Arnaud, buried in same grave as Emily HILL.
- Julia HILL b. 1865, Merino, Victoria, m. 10 Feb 1887, in St.Arnaud, John CLARKE, b. 20 Dec 1861, Purnim, (son of George Clarke and Janet McLeod) d. 1 Oct 1949, St.Arnaud, buried: St.Arnaud. Julia died 18 Aug 1903, St.Arnaud, buried: 19 Aug 1903, St.Arnaud, lived Gre Gre North.
- Agnes HILL b. 1868, Merino, d. 1868, Merino.
- Henry HILL b. 1871, Merino, m. in Ballarat, Amelia JOHNSTON (nee GOODE). Henry died 20 Nov 1937, St.Arnaud, buried: St.Arnaud, aged 66.