Duncan McINTYRE 1814-1854
Miriam BEST 1825-1909
"Ardachy" & "Ardgarton" Stations, Branxholme & Digby, Victoria, Australia
Duncan McINTYRE 1814-1854, b. Ardachy, Argyllshire, Scotland, to Peter McINTYRE & Isabella McINTYRE was married in 1846 at "Arandoovong" Station, Branxholme, Victoria Australia to Miriam BEST 1825-1909, b. Hastings, Sussex, England, to James BEST and Ann GOACHER.
Duncan McINTYRE arrived from Scotland on the "Glenbervie" at Hobart Town, VDL (Tasmania) in 1837 and was at Geelong, Port Phillip in 1840. He was at "Rickets" or "Clunie" Station on the Glenelg River 1840-43 where there were many disputes with the local aborigines.
Duncan McINTYRE occupied "Ardachy" Station near Branxholme 1845-49, "Narrawong" Station near Branxholme 1847-48 and "Ardgarton" Station near Digby 1853-75. Note : These 3 were adjoining pastoral runs, see map.
Duncan McINTYRE died in 1854 at his "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme and his wife Miriam in 1909 at "Glencoe" Penshurst and both are buried in the Branxholme cemetery.
Duncan McINTYRE & Miriam BEST appear to have had the following family:
- Isabella McINTYRE 1847-1890, b. "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme, Victoria; d. Kooringa, South Australia, m. 1869 to Rev Robert Morris HUNTER 1839-1894, b. Edinburgh, Scotland; d. Adelaide, South Australia; 9 children born in Victoria and South Australia.
- Annie Mirian McINTYRE 1848-1925, b. "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme, Victoria; d. Melbourne, Victoria; m. William Henry STEVENSON 1841-1921, b. Switzerland to William Henry STEVENSON and Aeneasina SINCLAIR; d. Melbourne, Victoria; 5 children.
- Peter Duncan McINTYRE 1849-1927, b. "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme, Victoria; d. Geelong, Victoria; m. Elizabeth ORGAN c1849-1914, b. at sea to Daniel ORGAN and Annie McCAMM; d. Geelong, Victoria; 10 children.
- James Malcolm McINTYRE 1851-1924, "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme, Victoria; d. Penshurst, Victoria; m. 1877 to Marion Rogerson McEACHERN c1846-1881, b. Renfrewshire, Scotland to Capt. Neil McEACHERN and Mary Elizabeth McLEAN; d. Penshurst, Victoria; 2 children.
- Flora McINTYRE 1853-1944, b. "Ardachy" Station, near Branxholme, Victoria; d. Adelaide, South Australia, m. 1893 to Rev Robert Morris HUNTER 1839-1894, b. Edinburgh, Scotland; d. Adelaide, South Australia. NOTE : her sister Isabella was the first wife of this Robert Morris HUNTER, but died in 1890.