David McRAE abt 1800-bef 1851
Euphemia McKINNON 1801-1879 & family
Isle of Skye, Hotspur, Merino & Warracknabeal, Victoria, Australia
David McRAE was born abt. 1800 on the Isle of Skye, Inverness, Scotland and was married in 1826 to Euphemia McKINNON, b. 1801, Isle of Skye, daughter of Neil McKINNON and Sarah mcLEAN. David McRAE was an Inn Keeper and Carpenter on the Isle of Skye and it appears that he died before 1851.
David's widow Euphemia and her family emigrated in 1854 and arrived at Portland Bay on the 'Arabian'. They emigrated under the Highland & Island Emigration Scheme and they were listed on the list as McRAE, Effy (47), Donald (23), Flora (19), Marion (18), Neil (16), Marion (14), John (12). Effy as widow. It appears that a daughter, Jane remained behind in Scotland and the family structure appears to have become....
Sarah Grace McRAE, b. 1862, Merino, Vic, d. 1948, m. Henry ALBERT
Catherine McRAE, b. 1865, Merino, Vic, d. ..........
Caroline McRAE, b. ca 1869, South Australia, d. 1874
Allan John Hugh McRAE, b. 1873, Merino, Vic, d. .........
Jane McRAE b. 1828, Isle of Skye, m. 1850, Angus McDONALD
This couple remained in Scotland
- Donald McRAE ca 1831-1879 & Catherine CAMERON 1837-1906
Donald McRAE b. ca 1831 Isle of Skye, Scotland, son of David McRAE and Euphemia McKINNON was married in 1855 at Portland, Victoria to Catherine CAMERON b. 1837, Inverness, Scotland, daughter of Allan CAMERON and ___ BOYD.
Donald McRAE and Catherine CAMERON had the following family.......
- David McRAE, b. 1857, Merino, Vic, d. 1877
- Mary Jane McRAE, b. 1858, Merino, Vic, d. 1890, m. Robert Henry STAINTHORPE
- Euphemia 'Effie' McRAE, b. 1860, Merino, Vic, d. 1925, m. Joseph Thomas LAING
- Charlotte Ann McRAE, b. 1882, Dimboola, Vic, d. 1925
- Margaret Maud McRAE, b. 1886, Dimboola, Vic, d. 1974, m. ___ CLARKE
- George LAING, b. 1890, Sheep Hills, Vic, d. 1917, England
- Mary Jane LAING, b. 1895, Sheep Hills, Vic, d. .........?
Flora McRAE b. 1836, Isle of Skye, m. 1862, Duncan McQUEEN
This couple married at 'Murndal Station' near Merino in 1862, had a family of nine and moved to Western Australia.
Neil McRAE 1836-1891 & Catherine 'Kate' McINNES 1845-1910
Neil McRAE b.1835 Isle of Skye, Scotland, son of David McRAE and Euphemia McKINNON was married in 1862 at Merino, Victoria to Catharine McINNES b. 1843, Isle of Skye, Scotland, daughter of John McINNES and Flora McDONALD. He was at "Runnymede" Station, near Sandford in the 1870s before moving north to Warracknabeal in the 1880s, and he died there in 1891.
Kate McINNES was the older sister of Catherine McINESS who was married to John SMITH.
Neil McRAE and Catherine 'Kate' McINNES had the following family:
- Flora Ann McRAE b. 1862, Hotspur, S-W Vic, m.1 1884, Richard MILLSTEAD 1862-1942, m.2 John KAIN, d. 1916, Melbourne, Vic.;
- Mary Jane McRAE b. 1865, Hotspur, Vic, d. 1947, m. 1889, Richard UMBERS;
- Neil McRAE b. 1867, Hotspur, Vic, ..........?;
- Sarah McRAE b. 1868, Merino, Vic, d. 1891, Horsham, Vic.;
- Euphemia McRAE b. 1870, Merino, Vic, d. 1936, m1. Charles BLACKBURN, m2. 1925, Gordie PEARSON.
- Janet McRAE b. 1872, Runnymede Station, Sandford, Vic, d. 1896, Warracknabeal, Vic.;
- David McRAE b. ~1874, Merino, Vic., d. 1940, Balranald, NSW.;
- enlisted WW1, 7 Mar 1916, Mildura, Vic.
- listed as a deserter 19 Apr 1916
- John McRAE b. 1877, Merino, Vic, .............?;
- Hugh McRAE b. 1879, Runnymede Station, Sandford, Vic, d. 1936, Mildura, Vic., m. 1900, Eleanor Elizabeth EDMONSTONE 1881-1962;
- enlisted WW1, 6 May 1915, Melbourne, Vic.
- served in France as Pte 2226, 59th Battalion, AIF
- RTA 11 Oct 1918, Melbourne, Vic
- Hector Charles McRAE b. 1886, Warracknabeal, Vic., d. 1922, Mildura, Vic.;
- enlisted WW1, 19 Aug 1914, Melbourne, Vic.
- served and wounded at Gallipoli as Pte 330, 6th Battalion, AIF
- served in France 1916-1918 as Pte 330, 6th Battalion, AIF
- RTA 4 Oct 1918, Melbourne, Vic
- Angus McRAE b. 1889, d. 1898, Warracknabeal, Vic.
After the death of Neil McRAE in 1891 his widow Kate married Joseph RICE in 1900 in Warracknabeal, Victoria.
Marion McRAE b. ca 1836, Isle of Skye, m. 1856, Henry BARKER
This couple appear to have married at Penola, South Australia in 1856, with Marion dying at Merino in 1876.
Sarah 'Meron' McRAE b. ca 1838, Isle of Skye, m. 1856, Henry HULBERT / ALBERT
This couple married at Merino, Victoria in 1856, and had a family of six in the Merino area. [More info]
John McRAE ca 1842-1882 & Catherine McLEOD 1838-1906
John McRAE b. ca 1842 Isle of Skye, Scotland, son of David McRAE and Euphemia McKINNON was married in 1864 at Merino, Victoria to Catherine McLEOD b. 1838, Isle of Skye, Scotland, daughter of Finlay McLEOD and Sarah McLEAN.
John McRAE and Catherine McLEOD had the following family:
Hugh McRAE b. 1869, Merino, Vic, m. ............?;
Sarah McRAE b. 1871, Merino, Vic, d. 1891, Merino, Vic;
Euphemia McRAE b. 1873, Merino, Vic, d. 1884, Merino, Vic;
John McRAE b. 1877, d. 1877, Merino, Vic.;
- David McRAE b. 1866, Merino, Vic, d. 1916, Merino, Vic;
- Norman John McRAE b. 1867, Merino, Vic, m. Catherine 'Katie' EDWARDS and they had the following family...;
- Sarah Euphemia McRAE, b. 1893, Merino, Vic, m. Isaac Victor DALTON
- Charles Robert McRAE, b. 1897, Merino, Vic, d. 1916, France
- Lillian Dora McRAE, b. 1899, Merino, Vic, m. William JAMES
- Katie Edith McRAE, b. 1901, Merino, Vic, m. ___ CLEAVE
- John McRAE, b. 1905, Merino, Vic, d. 1946, Geelong, Vic