John Ross MONTGOMERY ca1854-1937 & Martha BELL 1866-1941
Melbourne, Gippsland & Merino, Victoria, Australia
John Ross MONTGOMERY b. ca 1854 Ireland, son of John MONTGOMERY and Eliza ROSS, married in 1886, ___, Victoria to Martha BELL b. 1866 Purnim, Victoria, daughter of William John BELL and Ann Jane ARMSTRONG.
Hamilton Ross MONTGOMERY was one of their sons who served in WW1 and obtained a Soldier Settlement block on the Glenorchy Estate near Merino, Victoria.
Another son, James Alexander MONTGOMERY died from wounds received at 'Lone Pine' Gallipoli in August 1915.
John Ross MONTGOMERY and Martha BELL had the following family:
- William John MONTGOMERY b. 1887, d. 1887, Richmond, Vic.;
- Elizabeth Jean MONTGOMERY b. 1889, Brunswick, Vic, m. John McINTOSH and they had children born at Tahara or Merino.;
- Hamilton Ross MONTGOMERY b. 1890, Brunswick, Vic, m. Flora McLachlan CAMERON.;
- William Bell MONTGOMERY b. 1892, Hawthorn, Vic, m. Sarah Ann Crawford NELSON.;
- John Ross MONTGOMERY b. 1894, Drouin, Vic, m. Kathleen THOMAS.;
- James Alexander MONTGOMERY b. 1895, Drouin, Vic.;
- 1st AIF, Pte 1787, 2nd Battalion
- Died of wounds 11 Aug 1915, Gallipoli, Turkey
- attended school at Drouin and Tahara
- Thomas MONTGOMERY b. 1900, Drouin, Vic, m. ___.;
- Edward Campbell MONTGOMERY b. 1907, Merino, Vic, m. Alberta ___.;