Roderick McLean MORRISON 1810-1880
Mary McNicol McLEAN 1818-1906
Isle of Mull, Scotland ; Digby, S-W Victoria, Australia
Roderick McLean MORRISON b. 1810 Isle of Mull, Argyleshire, Scotland, son of Charles MORRISON and Margaret McLEAN married in 1843, Isle of Mull, Scotland to Mary McNicol MCLEAN b. 1818 Argyleshire, Scotland, daughter of Charles McLEAN & Jessie CAMPBELL.
Roderick McLean MORRISON, his wife Mary McNicol McLEAN and three children arrived in Victoria in Dec 1852 on the "Ticonderoga".
William STEWART 1788-1868 and his wife Isballa MORRISON 1797-1873, a sister of Roderick McLean MORRISON had a family of 10 children and arrived at Portland Bay, S-W Victoria in Aug 1852 on the "Flora McDonald." This family settled near Naracoorte, South Australia and later moved to the Hamilton area of S-W Victoria where the parents died.
Mr & Mrs Roderick McLean MORRISON were operating the first school at Digby by 1857. It was built on the site of the Church of England Sunday School. It was a church school and catered for the outlying districts and took in a few borders.
School at Digby.-An examination of the children attending the public school in this township under the tuition of Mr. and Mrs. Morrison was held on the 18th ult. by the Rev. F. T. Cusack Russell in presence of several of the parents and members of committee, at which the pupils evinced such progress and aptitude in the various branches allotted them as to elicit much commendation. Select premiums in the way of books have since been awarded to the most meritorious nor was any one left without some token of encouragement to further diligence. This school is well situated, in a thriving locality, is about to be enlarged for the acommodation of boarders. The neighbouring settlers have for the most part by their contributions and personal exertions shown a lively interest in the welfare of this school.
Source : "The Portland Guardian" (Vic.) Monday, 26th January 1857.
Roderick MORRISON died in 1880 at ...., Victoria and his widow Mary died at Pyramid Hill, Victoria in 1906.
Roderick McLean MORRISON and Mary McNicol McLEAN had the following known family:
- Valentine Margaret Ann MORRISON b. 1843, Isle of Mull, Scotland, d, 1881 West Strathdownie, S-W Vic., m. in 1866 at "Strathdownie East" station to Archibald McEACHERN 1820-1896, b. Morven, Argyllshire, Scotland, d. Strathdownie West, S-W Victoria.
- Charles Magnus MORRISON b. abt 1846 ................
- Hugh Alexander MORRISON b. abt 1847 .........., d, 1929, Manly, Sydney, NSW.
- Neil Malcolm MORRISON b. abt 1851 ................
- Neil Lachlan MORRISON b. abt 1853 ................
- Roderick John Robertson MORRISON b. abt 1855, d. 1939, Lancesfield, Vic.
- Magnus Russell McLeod MORRISON b. 1859 Digby, S-W Vic, d. 1930, Lancefield, Victoria.