John SMITH c.1810-1892
Helen ROSS c.1822-1902
Yorkshire ; Ross & Cromartyshire ; Portland & Digby, S-W Victoria, Australia
John SMITH b. c.1810 Uxbridge or Hull, Yorkshire, England, son of Benjamin Howard SMITH and Charlotte GOFTON was married in Portland, Victoria in 1853 to Helen ROSS b. c.1822 in Ross & Cromarty, Scotland, daughter of John ROSS and Isabella McDONALD.
John SMITH died at Digby in 1892, aged 82 and is buried in the Digby Cemetery. His widow Helen, died at Digby in 1902, aged 79 and is also buried in the Digby Cemetery.
John SMITH and Helen ROSS had the following known family:
- Isabella SMITH b. 1853, Digby, Vic, d. 1927, Willaura, Vic, m1. 1872 to George FORBES (3 chn), m2. 1879 to David PHILLIPS (6 chn);
- Charlotte SMITH b. 1854, Digby, Vic, d. 1916, Mount Gambier, SA, m. 1875 to Frank ROBERTSON and they had 9 chn at Poolaijelo, Dergholm & Edenhope;
- Euphemia SMITH b. 1855 Digby, Vic, d. 1907, Heathcote, Vic, m. 1881 Nelius Edward LEYON, chn in South Australia and Heathcote, Vic.;
- William Howard SMITH b. 1856 d. 1857, Digby, Vic.;
- Andrew SMITH b. 1858 Digby, Vic, d. 1938, Ballarat, Vic;
- Margarette SMITH b. 1859 Digby, Vic. d. 1931, Leeton, NSW, m. 1886 to William PHILLIPS (6 children);
- female SMITH b. 1860 d. 1860, Digby, Vic;
- William SMITH b. 1862 Digby, Vic, ...........?;
- George SMITH b. 1864 Digby, Vic, d. 1941, Digby, Vic, m. 1892 to Dorothy PRANGE 1863-1933 (5 chn. b. Pimpimio, Wimmera).