John STOCK 1826-1890 b. London, England
Christina McLENNAN 1838-1898 b. Ross-shire, Scotland
of London, England ; Scotland ; Hotspur, Digby & Carapook, S-W Victoria, Australia
John STOCK 1826-1890 was b. 1826 London, son of Willey STOCK and Elizabeth Esther BAYLES arrived at Portland from England in 1849 as a wool classer and in the same year classed the wool for Edward HENTY at his "Muntham" station.
Christina McLENNAN 1838-1898 was b. 1830 in Ross & Cromarty, Scotland, daughter of Alexander McLENNAN and Christina 'Kirtsy' McRAE. She had arrived at Portland, S-W Victoria in 1852 on the "John Davies" with her parents and siblings, one of whom was Catherine McLENNAN 1836-1919, who married George BURROWS at "Murndal" Station, Tahara, near Merino, S-W Victoria in 1858, and raised a large family in Victoria, NSW and later died at Kingaroy, Queensland.
John STOCK & Christina McLENNAN were married at Digby, S-W Victoria in 1856, they settled at Hotspur where many of their children were born in the 1860s before they moved north and selected land in the Muntham district, near Carapook area where the remainder of the family was born. The property was named "Quinberry." Later, the property "Cammais" nearer to Sandford was purchased, and this is where he died in 1890.
John STOCK with 5 school-aged children and living 2 1/2 miles South of Carapook was shown on the map accompanying the 1875 petition aimed at establishing a new school at Carapook. John was born in London to Willey STOCK and Elizabeth BAYLES and his brother Joseph also came to Victoria, married and moved to New Zealand. More information on Joseph and his family below.
John STOCK & Christina McLENNAN had the following children:
Carol Florence RICHARDS, b. 1895, Ballarat, Vic, d. 1950, WA, Aus
Gladys RICHARDS, b. 1899, d. 1899, Haddon, Vic.
Christina STOCK b. 1859 Digby, Vic, d. 1869, Sandford, Vic;
John Alexander "Jack" STOCK b. 1860, Hotspur, Vic, d. 1947, Casterton, Vic.;
William STOCK b. 1862 Digby, Vic, d. 1916, Portland, Vic., m. Florence Lilian MORRIS 1874-1965, and had the following family:
- Elizabeth Esther STOCK b. 1858 Hotspur, Vic, d. 1899, Ballarat, Vic., m. Edward RICHARDS, b. 1862, Ballarat, Vic, d. 1942, Melbourne, Vic., son of Edward RICHARDS and Mary PORTLOCK. Edward and Elizabeth had the following known family:
- Esther Mary RICHARDS, b. 1884, Tyrendarra, Vic, m. Charles John TODD
- Edward John 'Jack' RICHARDS, b. 1885, Tyrendarra, Vic,
- WW1, 1st AIF, 11th Battalion, Gallipoli
- WW1 Lt 4th Sqaudron, AFC, France
- Reginald Ernest RICHARDS, b. 1887, Barkstead, Vic, m. Margaret Elizabeth McCORMACK
- Christina RICHARDS, b. 1888, Barkstead, Vic, m. Alexander David HOLLYHOKE
- Adrian Thomas RICHARDS, b. 1890, d, 1891, Barkstead, Vic.
- Leslie James RICHARDS, b. 1892, Sandford, Vic, d. 1969, Armadale, Vic.
Margaret Ann "Maggie STOCK b. 1863 Digby, Vic, d. 1930, Geelong, Vic.
Duncan STOCK b. 1865 Hotspur, Vic, d. 1949, Casterton, Vic., m. Mary Jane RICHARDS 1864-1951, sister of Edward RICHARDS (above)
Ellen STOCK b. 1866, Hotspur, Vic, d. 1951, Melbourne, Vic., m. George Read MURPHY 1856-1925;
James STOCK b. 1868 Casterton, Vic, m. Constance Ruth McLELLAN;
Alexander STOCK b. 1870 Muntham parish, Sandford, Vic, d. 1947, Portland, Vic;
- Esther Christina STOCK, b. 1906, Casterton, Vic
- Eleanor Morris STOCK, b. 1907, Casterton, Vic, m. Norman McIntyre CAMERON
- Athol McLennan STOCK, b. 1908, Casterton, Vic
- Florence May STOCK, b. 1910, Casterton, Vic
- Willy Ann STOCK, b. 1911, Casterton, Vic, d. 1912, Sandford, Vic
- William Harold STOCK, b. 1914, Casterton, Vic
Christina STOCK b. 1871 Sandford, Vic, d. 1938, Melbourne, Vic;
Fanny STOCK b. 1873 Sandford, Vic, d. 1952, Melbourne, Vic.;
Thomas STOCK b. 1876 Sandford, Vic d. 1900 Boer War, Rensberg, South Africa
- Boer War, Tpr 503, 2nd Australian Commonwealth Horse (Vic)
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 158, 16th Battalion, AIF, (served as Thomas WILLIAMS)
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 158, 16th Battalion, AIF, enlisted Western Australia 12 Sep 1914
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 158, 16th Battalion, AIF, landed Gallipoli 25 Apr 1915
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 158, 16th Battalion, AIF, Jul 1915 evacuated (hernia) Gallipoli to Malta to England
- WW1 1st AIF, Pte 158, 16th Battalion, AIF, embarked England for Australia 21 Jul 1918
- Named : Carapook Honour Roll
- Named : Casterton Town Hall WW1 Honour Roll
- Named : Muntham WW1 Honour Roll
- Named : Sandford War Memorial
- Boer War Memorial, Casterton
Joseph STOCK 1835-1911 & Marion Helen CAMERON 1838-1879
Joseph STOCK b. 1835 London was a younger brother of John and married at Portland in 1857 to Marion Helen CAMERON b. 1838 NSW. Joseph & Marion had two children and emigrated to New Zealand where Marion died and Joseph remarried.
Joseph & Marion STOCK had the following children:
- Arthur Willy STOCK b. 1858, Portland, Vic, mar Mary McWilliam MEHAFFEY
- Florence Amy Mary STOCK b. 1861, Horsham, Vic