Robert WHYTE c1840-1917 & Marion SMITH 1854-1938
Ireland; Portland, Hotspur & Condah, South-West Victoria, Australia
Robert WHYTE b. c1840, Burnfoot, Co Donegal, Ireland, son of Adam WHYTE and Margaret WALLACE was married in 1875 at the residence of Joseph SMITH, Condah, Victoria to Marion SMITH, b. 1854, Hotspur, Victoria, daughter of Joseph SMITH & Elizabeth McNICOL.
Robert WHYTE, farmer, died at Wallacedale in 1917 and Marion in 1938 and both are buried in the Condah - Myamyn Cemetery.
Two of their sons served with the First AIF in WW1 with One of them Robert dying from wounds at Gallipoli in 1915.
Robert WHYTE & Marion SMITH had the following family:
- Mary Elizabeth WHYTE b. 1876, Portland, Vic, d. 1954, Portland, Vic;
- Margaret Ellen WHYTE b. 1878, Portland, Vic, d. 1957, Portland, Vic;
- Lily Catherine WHYTE b. 1880, Portland, Vic, d. 1968, Portland, Vic;
- Joseph Wallace WHYTE b. 1882, Portland, Vic, d. 1955, Wallacedale, Vic, m. Margaret McDONALD, b. 1897, Hotspur, d. 1974, Hamilton, Vic;
- Robert McNicol WHYTE b. 1884, Portland, Vic, d. 1915, Gallipoli, Turkey [1st AIF, 11th Battalion, enlisted Perth, WA; DOW at Gallipoli];
- David Ross WHYTE b. 1887, Portland, Vic, d. 1963, m. Catherine Isabella PRICE1906-1985 (Robert served in 1st AIF, with the 2nd Australian Tunneling Company];
- Marion Ethel WHYTE b. 1890, Portland, Vic, d. 1974, Portland, Vic;
- Janet Isabella WHYTE b. 1892, Portland, Vic, d. 1968, Melbourne, Vic;