James DELANEY 1894-1918
Thomas Edward DELANEY 1897-1972
J & T DELANEY were the brothers James "Jim" DELANEY 1894-1918 and Thomas Edward "Tom" DELANEY 1897-1972, who had trees commemorating their WW1 service abroad planted in the Booroopki Avenue of Honour. They both enlisted in and served with the 38th Battalion, AIF.
"West Wimmera Mail" 25th July 1919
WELCOME HOME AT MINIMAY
A well attended welcome home social was tendered to Privates C.H.L CRABTREE,
and T. DELANEY, and Gunner E.C. CARRACHER, by the Booroopki Welcome
Committee--representing the residents of Booroopki and Morea--in the Minimay
Mechanics' Hall on Monday evening, 14th inst. Other returned soldiers
present were, Privates J. and B. NEILL and T. MARSH (Melbourne) and Messrs.
T. DICKERSON (Gymbowen) and J. McCARTHY, F.L. HAWKINS and W. MITCHELL ;
and as all the returned boys marched up the centre of the hall to the
platform, headed by the guests of the evening, they were loudly applauded,
and Home Sweet Home was played by Miss M. SCHINCKEL. After the National
Anthem and the Soldiers' verse were sung, the chairman, Mr P.J. LAVERY,
warmly welcomed the returned lads, expressing his appreciation of what they
had done for all, and hoping they would all settle down in the district.
Other speakers were Messrs. Robert WILLIS, and A. SCHINCKEL and Reuben
WILLIS. The Chairman apologised for the absence of Mesdames G. GARDNER, D.
CRABTREE, and Messrs. V. GARDNER, and ?. HARVEY. He presented to Private
CRABTREE and Gunner CARRACHER suitably inscribed gold medals on behalf of
the people of Booroopki and Morea ; and explained that Private DELANEY had
already received his medal, having been presented with it on the occasion of
a hurriedly arranged welcome social at Morea to Lance Corporal J.D.
SCHUMANN, who was recently home on a short leave and who was not likely to
visit the district for some time, owing to the fact that he is still
undergoing treatment for wounds received in France.
Privates DELANEY and CRABTREE and Gunner CARRACHER all feelingly
acknowledged the warm welcome and the medals. "They are Jolly Good Fellows"
was then sung by the company, and a vote of thanks to the chairman at the
instance of Mr H. COLLINS, responded to by Mr LAVERY, concluded the social.
Speeches were interspersed with well rendered songs by Misses G. WILLIS, and
A. LAVERY, and Mr A. SCHINCKEL, and a humorous recitation by Mr A.
SCHINCKEL. At a latter stage, during an interval in the dancing, Messrs.
P.J. LAVERY and A. SCHINCKEL favoured the company with songs. Good music
for the dance was provided by Mrs R. McLAUGHLIN, Miss E. WILLIS, and Messrs.
P.J. CARRACHER, E. STEHN, and L. CARRACHER, Mr P. McCARTHY being an
efficient M.C. An excellent supper was provided by the ladies.
The DELANEY brothers were be members of the following DELANEY family group...
Patrick DELANEY 1833-1923 & Annie SMITH 1855-1909
Patrick DELANEY was born 1833, Mount Rath, Queen's Co. Ireland, son of Michael DELANEY and Mary PHELAN. he arrived in Victoria on the ship "Maryborough" with his widowed mother Mary, and brothers Finton and Timothy DELANEY.
Frances "Annie" SMITH was born 1855, Campbellfield, Melbourne, daughter of George Unwin SMITH & Frances Rose Hannah "Fanny" MILLS.
Frances "Annie" DELANEY died at Horsham in 1909 and her husband Patrick DELANEY died at Goroke in 1923.
Patrick DELANEY and Frances "Annie" SMITH had the following family...
- Mary Ann DELANEY, b. 1871, Ozenkadnook, near Goroke, d. 1933 Horsham, Vic., m. 1892 to Charles James INGRAM 1862-1944, b. Sandford, S-W Vic., d. Horsham, Vic.
- George Michael Andrew DELANEY, b. 1874 Hamilton, S-W Vic., d. 1897, Morea, near Goroke, Vic.
- Ellen Anastasia "Nellie" DELANEY, b. 1876 Hamilton, S-W Vic., d. 1946 Edenhope, S-W Vic., m. 1903 to Francis MAHNEY 1875-1946, b. Wentworth, NSW, d. Edenhope, S-W Vic.
- William Fintan DELANEY, b. 1878, Harrow, S-W Vic., d. 1912 Edenhope, S-W Vic., m. 1903 to Mary Ellen RUTH 1873-1908.
- Hannah DELANEY, b. 1881 Edenhope, S-W Vic., d. 1953, Goroke, Vic., m.1 1906 to William James McCALLUM 1860-1917, m.2 1920 to James MAHER 1887-1966.
- Timothy DELANEY, b. 1883 Edenhope, S-W Vic., d. 1977 Gundagai, NSW, m. Margaret Elizabeth BIBBY 1866-1951.
- Margaret Frances DELANEY, b. 1885 Edenhope, S-W Vic., d. 1950, Edenhope, S-W Vic., m. 1916 to Thomas MAHNEY 1870-1944, b. Menindie, NSW, d. Edenhope, S-W Vic.
- John Patrick DELANEY, b. 1888 Goroke, S-W Vic., d. 1962, Horsham, Vic., m. 1911 to Magaret Frances SMITH 1891-1964, b. Wartook, Grampians, Vic., d. Horsham, Vic.
- Catherine Alice "Kate" DELANEY, b. 1891 Goroke, Vic., d. Gundagai, NSW, m. 1915 to John "Jack" SMITH 1890-1067.
- James DELANEY, b. 1894 Goroke, Vic., d. 1918, France [L/Cpl 863, 38th Battalion, AIF, DOW, Le Havre, France 1 Oct 1918]
- Thomas Edward DELANEY, b. 1897 Morea, near Goroke, Vic., d. 1972, Natimuk, Vic., [served in France as Pte 864, 38th Battalion, AIF], m. Christina Rebecca Eve REDFORD 1916-2004, b. Goroke, Vic., d. Natimuk, Vic.