West Wimmera Mail & Natimuk & Goroke Advertiser

[updated 2 May 2002]

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - January 6, 1911

Mr. Joseph FECHLER, one of Horsham's oldest residents, died at "St. Valentines," Horsham, on Wednesday week, aged 69. Deceased was born at Altlast, Prussia, and came out to Mt. Gambier in 1869. In 1871 he came to Horsham with Mr. BAUER, who built the first brewery there. Mr. FECHLER was at first a bootmaker, then built and ran the Commercial Hotel, and also a timber yard. Mr. John WEIGHT came up to manage this yard, and bought it later on. He built the house " Toronto," in Baillie Street, and lived in it for a time, but went back to the hotel. He bought a property near Horsham, and resided on portion of it till his death. He was an old member of the Masonic and Oddfellows Lodges, a councillor of Wimmera Shire for years, one of the first elected to the Borough Council and one of the founders of Horsham Hospital. He was highly respected. A family of six daughters and a son survive, four children having died.

Mysterious Death
A social and dance was held on Christmas eve at the residence of Mr. William RILEY, of Jallakin, near Edenhope. Amongst the guest were Mr. and Mrs. Solomon NORRIS, who had with them their little daughter, three years old. The child was put to bed at midnight, and two or three hours later the mother attempted to awaken here to take her home, and found that she was dead. The death was reported to the authorities, and an inquest was held. As the cause of death was not definitely apparent, a portion of the stomach was sent to Melbourne for analysis. The examining medical officer, Dr. HALAHAN, is inclined to the opinion that death resulted from the effects of snake bite. Every sympathy is felt for the bereaved family.

Mr. M. KIELY'S crop had a narrow escape from being burnt on Tuesday last, the flames coming within a hundred yards, and had it not been for the timely assistance rendered by the neighbours and townspeople the fire would have got into the crop and spread through miles of well grassed country. It is supposed that the fire started through phosphorised wheat which had been laid for rabbits that morning in the adjoining scrub. It is high time that this absurd practise was abandoned.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - January 27, 1911

Quiet a gloom was cast over Horsham on Monday evening, when news spread that two young girls, Linda PEARCE, 15 years old, daughter of Mr. C.J. PEARCE, and Ida BLAKE, 17 years, daughter of Mr. T.W. BLAKE, were drowned. Just at 7 o'clock a boy rushed into the police station with the news, and Constable UREN, with Doctors FOSTER, COFFEY, and McSWEENEY (the two latter being visitors), hurried to the river in Mr. LANGLAND'S paddock. The bodies of the two girls were stretched on the bank, and though they had been under water for nearly three quarters of an hour, the doctors worked hard for a time to restore animation. They were beyond human aid and were taken to the hospital mortuary to await inquest. A number of girls went to a secluded spot at the river bend, and chose the same hole for bathing in which young BARRETT was drowned years ago while trying to save two other boys. None of the girls could swim, and the two victims and two others, Violet GORDON and Clarisse BERRY, g! ot beyond their depth. After frantic struggling two got back to shallow water, but the others sank. One girl hurried off for help, and three lads who were at the weir ran up and began diving. At the third attempt Charles ORR recovered Ida BLAKE'S body, which was lying in about six feet of water near the edge. A minute or two later Linda PEARCE'S body was found a few yards away. The parents of deceased are well known and highly respected. Miss BLAKE was a niece of Mr. BLAKE, of Tooan East, and was also related to the GUEST brothers, who were drowned some years ago while out duck shooting.

The marriage of Mr. W. FURNESS, of Corowa, New South Wales, with Miss Millie ROKESKY, of Ballarat, was celebrated at the residence of the bride's parents, " Suffield," Lake Karnak, on the 28th December. The bride received many valuable presents, among them being a cheque from her parents. The Rev. T.C. RENTOUL officiated. The bride looked charming in her bridal dress of crepe-de-chene, and the usual veil and wreaths of orange blossoms. After the ceremony the bridal party, consisting of near relations and friends, partook of the wedding breakfast, and after the usual toast had been proposed and the party had joined in singing, "For they are jolly good fellows," the happy couple, accompanied by a host of friends, drove into Goroke where they were showered with rice and confetti while taking a train to Melbourne en route for Tasmania where they spent their honeymoon.

Since our last report on Friday 23rd December, we have sold the following areas of land, totaling 1990 acres, for the sum of 25,606. Account Hon. J.J. DUNCAN, Yarram Park Estate, Glenthompson, 216 acres at 6 17s 6d, to J. PAYNE ; also to same buyer, 214 acres at 6 15s ; 152 acres, at 6 10s, to Mr. MALCOLM ; 168 acres at 7. to F.P. and B. NICHOLSON, and 194 acres, at 5 12s 6d, to F.P. and B. NICHOLSON. The total area of the Yarram Park Estate now sold is 4500 acres, for the sum of nearly 30,000 ( conjunction Dalgety and Co.,) ; Account executors in estate of late P.KEENAN, Club Hotel, Minyip, walk in, walk out, at 11,000 to J.H. BYRON ; Account Mr. GOULD, Japarit, 946 acres at 5 5s to Mr. GEBERT. On Saturday next 21st inst., tenders are returnable at the Horsham office for the purchase of Mr. Harry HARDING'S Walmer block. On Friday next, 20th inst., at Dimboola, tenders are returnable for the purchase of Mr. Walter GUEST'S Antwerp Estate property.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - February 3, 1911

Richard, son of Mr. John BUTLER, of South Brighton, had his right thigh fractured by a fall from a pony.

Mr. John HODGE, who has bought a property in New South Wales, which his son is to manage, has decided to give up cereal growing, and will in future confine his attention to sheep. He has therefore instructed Messrs. YOUNG Bros. to hold a clearing sale of sheep, implements, etc., on Tuesday, February 28, on the farm, close to Gymbowen township.

A social, at which a presentation will be made, will be tendered on Friday evening, 10th inst., by their many friends, to Mr. and Mrs. H.O. WALTER and family, who are leaving Tooan East to reside near Hamilton, where Mr. WALTER has purchased a property.

News of the death of Mr. W. LAWRENCE, at the age of 30 years, which took place at Nhill on 23rd ult. was received at Apsley with profound regret. Deceased, who had been in indifferent heath for some time, had been ordered to Queensland by his medical advisor ( Dr. LYONS ), only returning about two months ago. The remains were conveyed by rail to Hynam ( S.A.) on Wednesday, thence to Apsley cemetery by Messrs. PLATT Bros., undertakers. The members of the Oddfellows Lodge headed the cortege, which was followed to the grave by a large number of friends. The Rev. S. McMEEKIN officiated at the graveside. A father, sister, and brother are left to mourn their loss.

Mrs. PFENNIG, wife of Mr. Adolph PFENNIG, was the victim of a serious burning accident on Thursday morning. Pastor NOACK who was passing the house at 9.15, hearing screams from within, and on looking in at the open door was shocked to see Mrs. PFENNIG'S clothing all ablaze. In an instant he had possession of the hose which was fortunately running water at the time in the front garden, and as Mrs. PFENNIG ran to him he played the water on the flames. Mrs. PFENNIG'S screams had by this time attracted others, and Dr. DANIEL (Locum tenens for Dr. BIRD) was sent for and was quickly on the spot. Proper remedies were applied, but Mrs. PFENNIG suffered considerable pain from extensive burns all over the body, excepting the back. She is also suffering from shock, and her medical attendant is not yet able to pronounce her out of danger. The deepest sympathy has been expressed on all sides for Mrs. PFENNIG, who is greatly liked throughout the Natimuk district. It is believed that Mrs. PFENNIG'S caught fire through some beeswax and turpentine she was melting igniting.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday February 17, 1911

Mrs. Esther HUNT, who carries on a small grocery shop at Apsley, was found dead by her bedside early on Sunday morning. The old lady retired to her room about quarter past 11 on Saturday night, 11th instant, when she appeared to be in her usual health and spirits. When found by her daughter she was sitting by the bed, partly undressed. She had been suffering from heart trouble for some time, and no doubt this was the cause of death.

Messrs. YOUNG Bros. held a clearing sale for Mr. J. TIERNEY at Gymbowen on Wednesday. There was a splendid attendance in spite of bad roads, some 200 being there. Bidding was brisk from start to finish. Mr. J. SUDHOLZ and Mr.W. McPHERSON wielded the hammer. Prices were very good, 131 merino ewes brought 7s 9d, 267 wethers merino 4 and 6 tooth, 9s 6d. Draughts 40, 41, 31, aged 13, 2 year filly 44, yearling filly 29, yearling colt 23 ; horseworks 8, chaffcutter 8, cultivator 3 12s 6d, scoop 2 17s 6d, double furrow plough 2, 3 furrow stump jump plough 13, harvester 26, old stripper 5, Osbourne binder 16 10s, drill 12, waggon 34 10s, grader 11 10s, and all sundries at exceptionally good prices.

In Memoriam -- MAYBERY
In loving memory of our dear mother and grandmother who passed away on the 16th February, 1910.
Though lonely in your silent grave
Where you are laid beneath.
Dear grandma, we can do no more
Than place a floral wreath.
Inserted by her son, W. MAYBERY, and family.

The eldest son of Mr. E. DUMESNEY, of Polkemmet, is ill with the measles.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday February 24, 1911

On Monday evening there passed away an old and highly esteemed resident of Natimuk district in the person of Mrs. Johanna WALTROWICZ. The deceased lady was an Australian native, being born at Handorf, S.A. in 1841, and had therefore nearly completed the allotted span of life. She spent her childhood and girlhood at Handorf, and was there married to her late husband, Mr. Albert WALTROWICZ, who died eight years ago on January 30. The young couple commenced their married life with but little of this world's goods but with plenty of grit, and the late Mrs. WALTROWICZ, in addition to rearing twelve out of thirteen of a family, was a great helpmate to her husband both indoors and out, in their farming life. They progressed steadily, and on coming over in 1886 from South Australia, had sufficient means to purchase a good farm on the banks of Lake Natimuk. Here they lived for 20 years, but soon after the death of her husband Mrs. WALTROWICZ removed with some of her daughters to Natimuk where she since resided. Deceased, who had been ailing for a long time, her system gradually weakening, but for the past few days she had seemed brighter and was able to eat with more relish than usual. On Monday evening after tea, she was assisted to her bed to lie down, but had been only lying down on the bed for a few minutes when she quietly breathed her last in the presence of two of her daughters. The funeral took place at Natimuk cemetery, a large number of friends attending. Pastor NOACK, of the Lutheran Church conducted the burial service, part in German and part in English addressing himself more particularly to the friends of deceased, the Pastor mentioned that though she had suffered much in this life it wouldn't be as nought in the peace and glory which awaited her in heaven.
The children of the deceased, in order of seniority, are :---- Messrs. Edward (Gerang) ; Adolf (Kiata) ; and Carl (Gerang) ;Mesdames H. SPEHER (Natimuk) ; E. GLADIGAU (Gerang) ; C. HAEUSLER (Mitre Lake) ; and Misses Johanna, Martha, Matilda (Natimuk) Agnes and Clara (Gerang) ; Bertha (Natimuk).

On February 15, a quiet wedding was celebrated at 'Pengrove,' Lemon Springs, the residence of the bridegroom's parents, when Miss Harriet (Lil) McPHEE, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm McPHEE, Lemon Springs, was married to Mr. Albert Benjamin BURNS, second son of Mrs. T. BRAY, the Rev. T.C. RENTOUL officiating. The bride, who was given by her brother, was charmingly attired in a cream silk frock with a cross over bodice, and a tucked panel trimmed with edelweiss lace and insertion. Her veil was prettily arranged over a wreath of orange blossoms. She also wore a ruby and diamond brooch, the gift of the bridegroom. Miss Katie BRAY, the only bridesmaid was frocked in white muslin inlet with swiss embroidery. She wore the bridegroom's gift, a gold curb bangle. Mr. Frank BURNS acted as best man. After the ceremony the wedding party adjourned to the dinning room, where the breakfast was served. Mr. and Mrs. BURNS are spending their honeymoon at Ballarat.
The many presents were useful and valuable, among which were the following :---
Bride to bridegroom, silver shaving outfit ; parents of the bride, japanese tea tray, milk jug, vase and jam dish ; parents of bridegroom, household linen and set of toilet ware ; Mr. and Mrs. George BURNS, silver mounted cut glass water jug and tea caddy ; Elsie, May, and Daisy BURNS, moustache cup, writing case, and a fancy china shoe ; Mr. and Mrs. Bert BURNS, silver, ruby and cut glass jam dish ; Mr. and Mrs. George McPHEE, pair of photo frames ; Mr. and Mrs. Dougald McPHEE, japanese handkerchief and glove boxes ; Mrs. T. BRAY snr, pair of lace curtains and honeycomb quilt ; Miss BURNS, cut glass butter dish and sugar basin ; Mr. F. BURNS, set of horn carvers in case, and handsome silver cruet ; Miss B. BURNS, water jug and tumblers ; Mr. B. BURNS, tall brass lamp, duplex burner ; Mr. G. BURNS, afternoon china tea set ; Mr. J. BRAY, oak and silver biscuit barrel ; Miss K. BRAY, crystal cake stand ; Miss H. BRAY, bedroom lamp ; Mr. T. BRAY jnr., pair of photo frames ; Miss M. BURNS, crystal fruit stand ; Miss T. BURNS, oak picture frame ; Miss C. BRAY, water bottle ; Mr. D. BRAY, pair of glass salt cellars ; Miss Mabel BURNS, china tea pot and milk jug ; Masters George and Willie BURNS, pair of amber jelly dishes ; Miss S. CROSS, cut glass sugar basin ; Mr. W. SACK (Horsham) silver sugar basin and spoon, very handsome design ; Mr. William SHAW, ruby and cut glass jelly dish and spoon set in silver stand ; Mr. J. CRAIG (Sandford) cutlery and silverware ; Miss H. I. MADDREN (Melbourne) bedroom clock set in metal stand ; Mr. Harold GOLDING, pair of beautiful tall vases.

Mr. I. BURRIS of Mitre Lake, has got tired of so much water almost continuously round his present residence, and has placed a contract with Mr. R. SISSON to build a new residence on higher ground.

A bicycle left by Mr. Bert TAYLOR in Mr. L. PARSON'S shop at Gymbowen, where he was employed, was surreptitiously removed and is still missing. Constable WILSON (Goroke) and ROWLEY (Natimuk) have the matter in hand, and expect to trace the purloined machine.

Mr. D. FRY, brother of Mrs. R.G. McCLURE, and for some years in the literary staff of the "Benalla Independent", has accepted a position in McCREDDIN'S Mitre Lake store.

The marriage of Mr. Frank EDMONDS and Miss SANDERS, both of Vectis East took place on Wednesday.

Mr. Carl ROSEL is still in a weak state from dropsy.

Thos. GRIFFIN, carrier for Permewan, Wright, and Co. was killed at the Cox street crossing, Hamilton, by a train running into his lorry. This is a death trap, other accidents happening there before, while since GRIFFIN'S death, the engine driver, who cannot see for houses till right at the crossing, narrowly missed another fatal accident, the man stopping his horse just in time.

Messrs. YOUNG Bros. report having held a clearing sale for Mr. A. WILLS at Tooan on Tuesday, when there was a large attendance, buyers attending from Horsham, Goroke, Harrow, etc. Mr. J. SUDHOLZ auctioned, and prices were good throughout.

  • Two aged draught mares made 21 10s, 18.
  • Aged draught mare 27/10 and her sucking foal 17.
  • 4 year small pony 10.
  • 15 months medium draught filly 22.
  • 15 months draught colt 18.
  • 2 year draught filly 32/10.
  • 2 year draught colt 27/10.
  • fat pig 2/8, fat mixed sheep 9/6.
  • fat wethers 10/6.
  • 6 merino ewes 9/-.
  • 18 lambs, 6/9.
  • Posts 1 and 2 a hundred.
  • Simplex harvester 30.
  • Martin scarifier 11/15.
  • Drill 12.
  • Chaffcutter elevator and belting 8/9
  • horseworks 7/15,
  • s.f. plough 2/17/6,
  • fat cow 5/10.
The sale realised 500 odd.

The friends of Mr. John HODGE, Junr., who is removing to Wagga, where he has taken up land, farewelled him in the Gymbowen Hall. Mr. Alf. MUEGEL was voted to the chair, and there was an attendance of about 40. The chairman, after proposing the toast of the King, which was duly honoured, said he had now to propose the health of the guest, whom they had known for a number of years to be upright and industrious. He had much pleasure in asking him to accept a dressing case from his friends at Gymbowen as a token of their esteem. Mr. Arthur RICHARDS said he had known the guest from his infancy, and he was pleased to be present to do honour to one so worthy. Mr. HODGE was only doing what the early pioneers had done before him, that was to strike out and try to make a home for himself, and in this he hoped he would succeed. Mr. Stewart BYRNE said he was pleased to be present, though he was sorry the guest was leaving the district, as no finer young man was in their midst. The district could ill afford to lose such fine young men. As secretary of the rifle club he could say they were losing one of their best shots and one of the most energetic members, having always turned up to practice. He had much pleasure in wishing him health and prosperity in his new home. Mr. Albert AMPT said there had been no finer chum in the district than Mr. HODGE, whom he wished health and no droughts.
Other speakers were Messrs. PARSONS, COOKE, W.T. KNIGHT, Bert KNIGHT, Tully and Jack KNIGHT,who all testified to the esteem in which the guest is held, and wished him success.
Mr. HODGE, in responding, returned thanks for the good wishes expressed, and for the handsome present, which would serve as a pleasant reminder of the happy time he had spent at Gymbowen. He was fond of rifle shooting, and thought all young men should take an interest in it, if he had done anything for the rifle club it was a pleasure to him. He hoped the club would prosper, and win lots of trophies.
The success of the social was added to by songs contributed by Messrs. A. COOKE, L. PARSONS, J. HODGE, and W.H. KNIGHT, and recitations by Messrs. E.S. and D. BYRNE. Apologies for unavoidable absence were received from Messrs. G.T. HAASE and son.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday March 17, 1911

There past away on Monday last, 6th inst., one of the oldest residents, also an old colonist in the person of Mrs. H. HOLMES senr. She had been ailing for about 12 months and it was thought that she would yet live a few more months, but the end came very suddenly on Monday from heart failure. The deceased lady was born in Perensey, near Eastbourne, England, in 1827, and was thus 84 years old. She arrived in Port Adelaide with her husband (who predeceased her some 15 years ago) in the year 1854. From there they came on to Narracorte in 1860. In the year 1878, when there was such a rush for land, her husband selected a block in Neuapurr, and the deceased has practically lived on ever since, a space of 33 years. So it can be said she was one of the very oldest inhabitants. During her long residence here Mrs. HOLMES has made many friends and acquaintances, and she was known far and wide and most highly respected by all who knew her. The remains were interred in the Narracoorte cemetery on Wednesday beside her late husband's. She leaves behind a grown up family of 6 sons and two daughters, besides 56 grandchildren, and 11 great grand children.

Mr. J.K. McDOUGALL, M.H.R., has received the following letter from the Deputy-Postmaster-General :-- With reference to your strong personal representations of the 4th January last in connection with a communication from Mr. Jack McRAE, Natimuk, requesting the establishment of a Post Office at the store of Mr. McCREDDIN, junior, in the vicinity of the Mitre Lake Railway Station, and to the petition forwarded by Messrs. R.G. McCLURE, C. PUMPA, and other residents on the same subject, I have the honour to inform you that the matter has been the subject of investigation by the District Inspector, who visited the district for the purpose, and it seems that a majority of the residents really desire that the Receiving - Telephone, Telegraph office be removed from Mitre Lake South to the premises of Mr. Thomas McCREDDEN, Junior, who keeps a store. The District Inspector considers it advisable to remove the office to McCREDDEN'S store.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday March 31, 1911

At the Natimuk court yesterday before Messrs. G.H. EASTWOOD and W.J.SUDHOLZ, J's.P., Messrs. A.E.BEARD and Co. obtained an order against G.T. FERGUSON for 12. with 1/ 18/ 6 costs, in default distress.

J.B. HENRY, of Natimuk, made a profitable tour of the Western district, competing at various sports meetings. He won the hurdle races at Hamilton and Balmoral, was second at Coleraine, and 3rd in the handicap at Harrow.

Herschel HALLAM, 20 years of age, of Pimpinio, was biking with Fritz PRANGE, of Natimuk, on the road North of Natimuk Lake. Striking some sand, the former's bicycle skidded and though the pace was slow at the time young HALLAM had his collar bone broken in the fall. He was brought into Mrs. DUNCAN'S where he is being attended by Dr. BIRD.

The marriage of the Rev. H.M.C. FOWLER with Miss WALTER, eldest daughter of Cr. A.W. WALTER, J.P. and Mrs. WALTER, of "Oakleigh Park," was celebrated in the Noradjuha Methodist church on Wednesday last, the ceremony taking place at 5 in the evening. The Rev. Charles FOWLER, (brother of the bridegroom), officiated. The bride, who was gracefully attired, was attended by Miss HEARD and Miss WALTER (Gippsland) as first and second bridesmaid respectively. The bridegroom was supported by Mr. Walter FOWLER (brother) and Mr. F. IVORY (nephew) The wedding tea, supplied by Mr. PERRING, was laid in the Mechanics Hall, and about 80 guests sat down. The Rev. Chas. FOWLER presided, and the usual toast were gone through. The bridal couple left by the express for Melbourne from Horsham yesterday morning.

Mr. Ern DOCHERTY, of Natimuk, is laid up with a severe attack of gastric influenza and bronchitis. Dr. BIRD, fearing the patient's symptoms were those of typhoid, ordered his removal to the Horsham Hospital, and he was taken there yesterday.

Still another of our residents is leaving here for the Golden West. Mr. P. MULLEN, having disposed of his property is leaving with his family in a few weeks. They will be much missed, as they have been good residents and neighbours during their long residence here. The land brought the high price of 4 cash, clear of all commission. This, I believe, is a record for this district. Mr. B. LAVERY I understand is the purchaser. A clearing sale of the plant and household furniture will be held shortly.

A prominent and highly esteemed figure in the Natimuk district for the past 39 years has "crossed the bar". Mr. Carl Joachim SCHMIDT, widely known throughout the West Wimmera and the South East, died on Thursday evening, 23rd instant, at 6 o'clock.
In 1908 he had a serious illness, from which he almost completely recovered. On the 12th of the present month he contracted gastritis, and, considering his advanced years, he held on well, and appeared to be recovering even on the day of his death, being mentally bright until 20 minutes before the end came, when he lapsed into unconsciousness. The news quickly spread, and as it was received there with a genuine expression of regret. The deceased gentleman, who was born at Schmadebeck, Mecklinburg, Schwerin, Germany, on the 27th February 1834, was the fourth son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Johann SCHMIDT (nee Dorothea Carolina von BUHRING). He came to Australia with an elder brother when 19 years of age, landing at Port Adelaide on New Year's Day, 1854, so that he was numbered amongst the very earliest colonists with a residence of 57 years. He spent the first few years at Hoffnungsthal and Lyndoch Valley, S. A., and following on this he, with a younger brother, the late Joachim SCHMIDT, of "Compton", Mt. Gambier, rented a piece of land. Later they purchased land, which they worked successfully together. In 1872 the late Mr. Carl SCHMIDT came to the Wimmera, settling at Natimuk on the farm known as "Carlsruhe", a mile or so from the township. He was one of the first to take up land here, and through all the vicissitudes experienced by the early pioneers---- wheat at 1/6 a bushel, lean years, and so on---with conspicuous and remarkable success. That success was well deserved.. Once Mr. Carl SCHMIDT put his hand to the plough there was no giving up, no turning back. To him every day was a rainy one, so far as his duty to family and country were concerned. He possessed a keen mental activity, and his shrewd perception or discernment was backed up by an equally strong practicality, which are very enviable characteristics indeed. In addition to these qualities the late Mr. SCHMIDT possessed a still more enviable one, an unfailing love of home life. This attribute of character is only too rare; it should be the dominating principle of every man's life--it was of Mr. SCHMIDT'S. Throughout all his temporal prosperity he never forgot the supreme duty to his wife and family, and to be bereft of such a devoted husband and father is a calamity which is hard to bear. Mr. SCHMIDT rarely made a mistake in judgment. At a time when many early pioneers, mostly through improvidence or a "tired" feeling, were leaving the Natimuk district Mr. SCHMIDT backed up his faith in future land values by acquiring farm after farm until, at the time of his death, "Carlsruhe" , his original selection, formed but a very small part of his landed property in the Natimuk district. He had at one time extensive interests in Queensland, which have been managed with great success by deceased's eldest son, Carl. Mr. SCHMIDT always recognised the duty he owed to public institutions. Almost from the time of his arrival here, until incapacitated by illness, a stretch of time bordering on 40 years, his name was associated with affairs which made for the well being of his fellow men. And it was not simply "name"; his time and money were always there, voluntarily and unostentatiously. He had filled a number of the best public positions the district had to offer. He occupied the position of shire councillor for a term, was president of the Agricultural Society, first president of the Farmers Association, and held other offices. He contributed generously to all institutions he considered worthy of his support. For instance, he gave 30 towards the building of the new Mechanics Institute, 20 to the street plantation, and a substantial amount towards improvements to the show ground. His generosity and the esteem in which he was held were recognised and shown by the Mechanics Institute foundation stone, which was laid by him, and which bears his name. He also gave liberally to the local Lutheran Church, of which he had been an ardent member. A widow, two sons and four daughters are left to mourn their loss. The sons are, Messrs. Carl (Charlotte Vale, Qld) and W.C. SCHMIDT (Natimuk), Mrs. Aug SCHMIDT and Misses Amelia, Mary Eda and Alma SCHMIDT all of Natimuk. The funeral, which took place to the Natimuk cemetery on Saturday, was one of the longest and most representative ever seen in the district. A short service was conducted before the body was removed from "Carlsruhe". At the grave a most impressive service was conducted by Pastor Lohe, who in his address dealt with the qualities of the late Mr. SCHMIDT from the moral and spiritual side. As to those things which would appear laudable to the world he could say a good deal of him, but it was the spiritual and moral side of his life which he directed their attention to, and which he counselled all to emulate. The Pastor also addressed the mourners in English. The funeral arrangements were satisfactorily carried out by Mr. R. SISSON. The coffin bearers were Messrs. Aug GLADIGAU, J.W. SUDHOLZ, Fred HAUSTORFER, L.A. ROSEL, D. McINTYRE, and A.W. LOCKWOOD.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday April 21, 1911

The date of Messrs. L. and W. NICHTERLEIN'S clearing sale has been postponed to a date to be fixed, probably in May.

Mrs. A. PFENNIG, who met with a terrible burning accident some time back, returned home on Good Friday for a few days, and was seen by a large number of sympathisers.

Mr. Geo. STANTON, of Goroke, suffered a loss at the Goroke Catholic sports on Monday when his race horse Ideal, who was running in the hack race fell when entering the straight, and died a few minutes afterwards. The horses rider, Curtis STANTON, got a nasty shaking, but soon recovered. Mr. STANTON purchased Ideal at auction in Messrs. HAGELTHORN and BOLTON'S yards last year for 21, and though the horse had run in several races he had not won anything for his owner.

Mr. George FAUX, one of the oldest residents of the Wimmera, and a retired farmer from Lubeck, who has been living in Horsham for some time, died with startling suddenness on Wednesday morning. He was very fond of horse racing and was at the course every morning to see his horse Kaywarry exercised. On Wednesday he had been chatting with the jockeys Frank BONNELL C. MANCE and H. AGNEW, and walked over to take the rug off Kaywarry. As he did so, he put his right hand to his back and cried "Oh" and fell. Young MANCE ran and lifted him up, and BONNELL rode for help, but deceased died in MANCE'S arms. As Dr. ROBINSON had attended him for heart disease no inquest was held. FAUX was born in Parramatta, N.S.W. 62 years ago and in 1871 he came to the Wimmera as a horse breaker for Mr. EVERETT.

On the eve of his marriage to Miss BILLINGHAM, Mr. Frank LANGLANDS, of Horsham, was presented by his band comrades with a solid silver afternoon tea service on a silver mounted oak tray. Mr. LANGLANDS has been an enthusiastic bandsman since boyhood.

Mrs. John DUNTON, who has been ill with typhoid for some weeks in CARROLL'S hospital Horsham, is well enough to return to her home at Brimpaen.

Goroke R.C. Sports
The annual sports in aid of the Goroke Roman Catholic Church took place in Mr. LAIDLAW'S paddock, kindly lent for the occasion on Easter Monday. The weather was perfect, and the attendance was consequently large. The spectators had the pleasure of witnessing keenly contested events almost in every instance, the fields being large and the finishes close. Amongst the number of officials who left nothing undone mention should be made of Mr. Joseph TIERNEY (president) and Messrs. D. CALLAGHAN and D. KIELY (secretaries). There was no hitch in the arrangements. The publicans booth was conducted by Mr. Jas. PATCHING, of Gymbowen, and the refreshment booth by Mrs. TOI. Appended are the results :----

MAIDEN PLATE - Six furlongs, 2 and 10/-

  1. P.J. LAVERY'S The Bride (Trentbridge my Queen), 3yrs, 9st (RUTH)
  2. F. MOORE'S Lady Konatta, 4yrs, 9.7 (EDMONDSON)
  3. H. SCOTT'S Rainbow, 9.7 (SCOTT)
Ideal, Paleface, Invention and J.C. also started. Won easily.

TROT - Two miles, 2 and 10/-

  1. J. MULRANEY'S Doctor, 150yds, bhd (LANCASTER)
  2. F. HINCH'S Comet, scratch (owner)
  3. R. MAYBERY'S Molly Tracey, 450 yds, (owner)

EASTER GIFT - 1 1/4 miles, 7 and 2

  1. W. BAILEY'S Straight Tip, 9.7 (E. RYAN)
  2. J. MULRANEY'S Killarney, 9.7 (Jim MULRANEY)
  3. A.McCUISH'S True Lady, rost. (EDMONDSON)
Zero, Lady Legend and Lucy also started. A great race, Straight tip just getting up in time to beat Killarney by a head.

GALLOWAYS - Five Furlongs, 2 and 10/-

  1. G. BURNS' Trixie (RYAN)
  2. R. AITKENS' Little Hope
  3. Jas. McBEAN'S Rerednuth
There were 8 starters, Trixie winning easily.

FLYING HANDICAP - Five furlongs, 4 and 1

  1. G. BURNS' Trixie 9st (RUTH)
  2. A. McCUISH'S True Lady 10st
  3. J.O. ROBERTSON'S Solo 8.7 (owner)
In this race 12 horses started, Trixie winning by 3 lengths.

DISTANCE PONY RACE - Five furlongs, 2 and 10/-

  1. P.J. LAVERY'S Bridge (RUTH)
  2. Allett ROBINSON'S Lil (Jack McBEAN)
Won easily. Eight started.

HACK RACE - Six furlongs, 2 and 10/-

  1. J.O. ROBERTSON'S Lucy (Ruth)
  2. F. MOORE'S Lady Konatta (RICHARDS)
  3. Jim LUCKER'S Moondyne (KNIGHT)
Six started.

FORCED HANDICAP - Six furlongs, 1/10

  1. J. MULRANEY'S Killarney 10st. (A. MULRANEY)
  2. W.H. KNIGHT'S Scotty (D.KNIGHT)
This was the best race of the day. Eight horses started.

FARMERS RACE - Six furlongs, 2/10. Winner to pull a ton.

  1. J. CALLAGHAN'S Prince (BRAY)
W. LANCASTER'S Kangaroo Pat won, with Jas. McBEAN'S Player second, but both failed to pull the required weight.

FOOT RACE - Hcp., 1 and 5/-

  1. A.B. QUINLIVAN, 9yds.
  2. Geo. KELLY 8yds.
  3. W. BELL 8yds.

STEPPING THE CHAIN - 5/- and 2/6
C. BURTON, F. SCHUMANN and J. ROBINSON divided. Forty-eight entries.

BOYS RACE - 5/- and 2/6

  1. Jack McBEAN
  2. P. MOLLOY.

In the step dancing, the Misses THORN, of Horsham, won everything.

As briefly announced in a previous issue, the marriage of Mr. E.W. SALLMANN, second son of Mr. and Mrs. F.W. SALLMANN, Kornhiem, with Miss Sophie SCHMIDT, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August SCHMIDT, of Natimuk, took place at the Lutheran Church, Natimuk, on April 6. Pastor LOHE performed the ceremony. The church had been tastefully decorated by the Misses KLOWSS. The bride, who entered the church on the arm of her father, was gracefully attired in ivory duchess satin and silk overnet ; bodice trimmed very nicely with silk applique and chiffon, and the skirt with heavy silk insertion ; court train of satin, true lovers knots of net ; the veil caught with orange blossoms. She also carried a bouquet of cream roses and fern.

The bridesmaids were Miss Esther SCHMIDT (sister of the bride) and Miss Gerte SALLMANN (sister of the bridegroom). They wore dresses of pale blue chiffon taffeta, with cream trimmings, black hats relieved with pale blue and plumes. They also carried bouquets of red berries and asparagus fern. The flower girls, Misses Vera SALLMANN and May SCHMIDT (sisters of bridegroom and bride) wore white dresses and pale blue shoes and stockings, bonnets with bunches of pale blue ribbon. They carried baskets of pink roses and pale blue ribbons.

The bridegroom was attended by Mr. Walter SALLMANN and Mr. Alf. SCHMIDT, as best man and groomsman respectively. The brides gift to bridegroom was a pair of gold sleeve links ; the bridegroom's gift to bride a gold ring set with rubies and diamonds ; the bridegroom's gift to bridesmaids a gold dagger brooch set with diamonds, and to the flower girls, gold bracelet set with sapphires and gold dagger brooch set with pearls and sapphires. After the ceremony an adjournment was made to "Lyndoch," the residence of the bride's parents, where the wedding tea was served. Only immediate relatives and friends of the parties were present. Pastor LOHE presided, and the toasts of " the parents of the bride and bridegroom," " The Bridal Couple," and " the Bridesmaids," were honoured.

The future home of Mr. and Mrs. SALLMANN will be at Kornheim. The bride was the recipient of many valuable presents, including cheques. The honeymoon was spent in Ballarat, Melbourne and Sydney, and the Blue Mountains. The bride's traveling dress was grey cloth, neatly braided with same colour, toque of grey satin straw trimmed with coronation blue.

A Salt Lakes correspondent writes.
A very pretty wedding was celebrated in the local Methodist Church on Wednesday last, The Rev. S.D. HOOD being the officiating clergyman. The contracting parties were Miss Emma HOBBS, third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George HOBBS, Salt Lakes, and Mr. Colin CAMERON, third son of the late Mr. Lachlan CAMERON, of Telangatuk. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked charming in a beautiful dress of ivory silk, trimmed with silk lace, skirt trimmed with panel of lace and gathered band silk, finished with rosettes. From the waist hung long streamers of fringed silk. The travelling dress was of amethyst coloured cloth braided and trimmed with lace, with amethyst velvet hat, trimmed with gold lace and cluster of pansies. The bride was attended by Miss Annie CAMERON, sister of bridegroom. Two little girls, Miss Audrey HOBBS and Lina McDONALD, both nieces of the bride, acted as train bearers. Mr. W. HOBBS, brother of the bride, acted as best man. The "Wedding March" was played by the Church organist Miss Annie PENNY. The bridegroom presented the bridemaid with a handsome gold muff chain, and the two train bearers with silver thistle pendants. After the ceremony a large number of friends and relatives were entertained at "Woodbine," the residence of the bride's parents

Important Sale.
Situated 4 miles from Noradjuha and 12 miles from Natimuk.
For sale by public tender.
Tenders returnable at the agent' office, Natimuk, by 1 p.m. Thursday, 27th April, 1911.
YOUNG Bros. Under instructions from, MRS. Matilda JOHNS.
Invite tenders returnable as above, for all that piece of land being Crown Allotment 32A, in the parish of Lowan county of Lowan, containing 307 acres thereabout of first class Agricultural and Grazing land, subdivided into 8 conveniently sized paddocks, watered by irrigation channel, and enclosed with good sheep proof fences.
IMPROVEMENTS--Good w.b. house of 4 rooms, with kitchen detached. An 8 foot verandah surrounds the house on three sides . Stables for eight horses, chaffhouse, machinery sheds etc.
FENCING-- All round and sheep proof.
WATERED-- By irrigation channel which runs, through property.
SITUATION-- 4 miles from Noradjuha Railway Station and State School.
SOIL--is rich loamy, and excellent crops have been grown.
TERMS-- A deposit of 10 per cent to accompany each tender, and liberal terms can be arranged for the balance.
The highest, or any tender not necessarily accepted.
For further particulars apply to, YOUNG Bros. Natimuk, Horsham and Goroke.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday May 19, 1911

Mr. Henry WILEMAN has been very ill with a severe cold on the chest. Dr. BIRD took a serious view, as Mr. WILEMAN is over 80 years of age. Yesterday the condition of the patient showed no improvement.

A quiet wedding was celebrated on May 3 at the Presbyterian Church, East Melbourne, by the Rev. J. HOSKING, the contracting parties being Miss Jessie Alice KERR, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. KERR of Clear Lake, and Mr. Norman WALKER of Beulah. The honeymoon is being spent in Tasmania.

Messrs. Harold, Lance, and Ward CROSS and W. DUSCHKA last week drove to the Glenelg on a fishing expedition. They enjoyed good sport, and were intending to strike camp and leave for home on Saturday morning. On Friday evening at about nine o'clock Mr. Harold CROSS walked into the tent after coming from the river, and saw what looked like a strap on the bed. He stooped down and picked it up, when, to his horror, it proved to be a writhing, vicious snake, which coiled itself like lightning round his wrist and struck him twice on the forefinger of his right hand before dropping to the ground. He ran outside, and his brother Lance, who fortunately had a good idea of how to treat snake bite, at once tied up the finger and arm with ligatures. Then he took a lantern and went into the tent to look for the snake. It had again taken up its quarters on the bed, and hissed savagely, showing plenty of fight.

Lance killed it with a short stick, when it was seen to be a tiger snake, and then turned his attention to his brother again. Master Ward CROSS, whose nerves were seriously affected by the Richmond railway disaster, became ill, and was unable to help. Lance, with his knife, cut two triangular pieces out where the bites were, then, in spite of a sore on the roof of his mouth, sucked vigorously for some minutes at the wounds. Mr. DUSCHKA was meanwhile harnessing the horse, and the party set of as fast as possible for Balmoral, 14 miles away. By hard driving they got there in good time, and telephoned to Dr. POTTS, of Harrow, who got to the patient by 2 a.m. The patient did not loose consciousness, but complained very much of the pain caused by the tight ligatures, his arm being very much swollen.

During the remainder of the night Dr. POTTS stayed with the patient, injecting strychnine, and syringing the wounds with permanganate of potash, and pronounced him out of danger, thanks to his brothers prompt action. Mr. CROSS is almost recovered, but the arm is still benumbed, or slightly paralysed. The trip proved in other ways exciting, for one day a mob of cattle chased them, one bull treeing Mr. DUSCHKA. Mr. Lance CROSS was offered a jinker in Balmoral to go back and collect their belongings, which they hastily left, and on the way down he was thrown out, and run over by the vehicle, sustaining nasty bruises on the back.

Mrs. E. KOOPS has returned home to Natimuk from the Horsham Hospital, having recovered splendidly from her operation.

Mrs. A. PFENNIG left the hospital on Sunday, but will have to visit the hospital for further treatment.

Mr. E. DOCHERTY will leave the hospital in a few days, having recovered from his attack of typhoid.

We regret to state that Mr. F.J. WALTER, of Casterton, son of Cr. A.W. WALTER, of Noradjuha, is seriously ill with typhoid fever. Mr. WALTER had a slight touch of pneumonia first, then pleurisy, after which typhoid set in. The latest news is that the patient is showing a slight improvement. Mrs. COLYER, wife of Mr. Thomas COLYER, Koonik, near Goroke, died on Tuesday week from heart failure, after an illness of twelve months. The funeral took place to the Goroke cemetery yesterday week, the Rev. Mr. PEART, Methodist, conducting the service at the grave, and Mr. J.C. McDONALD the mortuary arrangements.

ROSEL--on the 17th April, at Sister CADWALLADER'S Private Hospital, Dandenong Road, Windsor, the wife of D.A. ROSEL--a daughter.

STANTON-- In memory of our dear son, Percy STANTON, Goroke, who passed away May 14, 1910, aged 18 years.

A painful shock, a crushing blow,
Lord help us bear this grief and woe ;
Our loss is great, we'll not complain,
But trust in God to meet again.

Not gone from memory, not gone from love,
But gone to our Father's home above.
Rest, dearest loved one, sweetly rest,
They miss you most who loved you best.
Sadly missed.
The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken.

Inserted by his beloved parents.

The marriage of Mr. C.W. FREEMAN, of Horsham, and Margaret, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James KERR, of "Alva" Patyah, took place on April 20th at the residence of the bride's parents. The Rev. S. McMEEKIN, of Edenhope, was the officiating clergyman. The ceremony was performed in the large dining room, which was tastefully decorated for the occasion, a wedding bell and the initials of the bride and bridegroom being conspicuous. The bride was given away by her father, and looked very graceful in her dainty bridal robe of ivory fayette over glace silk, with pearl trimming. She wore a wreath and veil, and carried a beautiful shower bouquet of roses, cosmos, and asparagus fern. Miss Daisy KERR, sister of bride, acted as chief bridesmaid, the other bridesmaid being Miss Helena FREEMAN, sister of bridegroom. Both were dressed in saxe blue mousseline-de-soi, the bodices being draped and trimmed with oriental insertion. They had each a latticed arrangement of white satin ribbon as a head ornament. The small trainbearers were Miss Lily ORR, cousin of the bride, and Master Dudley RICHARDSON, the bride's nephew ; the former wearing white and heliotrope, with pretty cap to match, and carrying a white crook and blossoms ; the tiny boy being in white, with three cornered white hat. Mr. H. FREEMAN, brother of bridegroom, being best man, and Mr. H.G. KERR, brother of bride, groomsman. The bridegroom's gift to the bride, were a set of Russian fox furs and a ring ; bride's gifts to bridegroom, dressing case and travelling rug ; bridegroom's gifts to bridesmaids, pearl pendants ; to best man, silver mounted wallet ; to groomsman, sovereign case. As the bridal party passed, Mendelssohn's Wedding March was played by Miss HEMSLEY. Mr. and Mrs. FREEMAN afterwards received the guests in the drawing room. All were then entertained at lunch, the centre of the luncheon table being ornamented by a handsome wedding cake. Mr. and Mrs. FREEMAN left for Hamilton in Mr. H.G. KERR'S motor car, en route to Melbourne. The bride travelled in a navy coat and skirt, with hat to match. The gifts were numerous, amongst them being the following.

  • Father of bride, cheque.
  • Mother of bride, house linen.
  • Father and mother of bridegroom, cheque.
  • Miss Isabella KERR, jardiniere.
  • Mr. H.G. KERR, marble clock.
  • Mrs. A.V. RICHARDSON, oil painting.
  • Mr. A.V. RICHARDSON, silver vases.
  • Miss Maude KERR, manicure set.
  • Mr. J. KERR, jnr. cheque.
  • Miss Daisy KERR, vase.
  • Miss Flora KERR, silver cake knife.
  • Miss Edith KERR, silver tea set.
  • Master Charles KERR, silver butter knife.
  • Miss Helena FREEMAN, bedspread.
  • Mr. H. FREEMAN, cheque.
  • Mr. Claude FREEMAN, set of carvers.
  • Mr. and Mrs. L.M. BULL, silver flower stand.
  • Mr. and Mrs. L.A. BULL, salad bowl and servers.
  • Miss E. CHENN, silver candlestick.
  • Mr. and Mrs. George VENELL, tablecover.
  • Mrs. A. ORR, cheque.
  • Mr. and Mrs. McMEEKIN, dressing case.
  • Miss L. HEMSLEY, salad bowel and photo frame.
  • "Winterlake" friends, cheque.
  • Mrs. HAMBROOK, biscuit barrel.
  • Mr. J.N. LEYDEN, cheque.
  • Mr. and Mrs. LOWRY, case of silver spoons and fork.
  • Mr. C. HOLGREFE, cheque.
  • Miss DUKE, silver backed brush.
  • Mr. and Mrs. CANARDAN, cheque.
  • Mr. and Mrs. PITMAN, carvers.
  • Mr. and Mrs. DUKE, cheque.
  • Mr. John FREEMAN, cruet.
  • Mrs. G.T. KERR, fruit set.
  • Misses Lily and Annie ORR, silver serviette rings.
  • Misses Elsie and Jean McMEEKIN, afternoon tea set.
  • Mr. and Mrs. R.W.C. KERR, silver sugar basin.
  • Mr. and Mrs. R.W.T. SINCLAIR, silver and crystal sweets dish.
  • Mrs. and Misses WILKS, pair of vases.
  • Miss Adeline HOLGREFE, photo frame.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday July 14, 1911

Mrs MOTT, wife of Mr T. MOTT, Died on Sunday evening last at the residence of her daughter Mrs Isaac FRIEND, Natimuk. Deceased, who was 75 years of age, had gradually been failing in health for some time. The late Mrs MOTT was born in Salford, England, and sailed to Australia 57 years ago. She married Mr MOTT in 1855, and had 11 children, of whom ten are living. The funeral took place on Tuesday, the burial service being conducted by Captain ODELL.

At Potters Hotel on Monday evening a complimentary social was tendered to Mr W. EDMONDSON, on the occasion of his approaching marriage. There was a large attendance, between fifty and sixty, and Mr John CROSS occupied the chair. Mr EDMONDSON has been connected with the football club for several years and held the position of captain for 4 years, and in many ways has made himself very popular with a wide circle of friends. A number of those present spoke in terms of praise of the guest.
The chairman, in a happy speech, conveyed to Mr EDMONDSON the best wishes of his Natimuk friends for his future happiness, as well as that of his intended bride, and said he had much pleasure in presenting him with a case of sovereigns. Mr EDMONDSON returned thanks in a neat speech. During the evening a number of songs and recitations were given, and they helped in no small degree to make the social highly enjoyable. Mr EDMONDSON was married on Wednesday to Miss H. NESBITT, the ceremony taking place in Horsham.

WEST WIMMERA MAIL - Friday August 25, 1911

Teams representing Minimay at Lemon Springs was played on the ground of the later on Saturday last and the weather was all that could be desired. A fair crowd of supporters of both teams turned out to witness the game, including many of the fair sex. Judging by the last contest between these teams, a good game was anticipated, and such proved to be the case.
Although at three quarter time the locals had only scored three points to their opponents 37 points, these scores fail to indicate the eveness of the game, as the ball had been from the bounce all over the ground, and the game was very fast. Some very fine football was shown by the teams, but Minimay failed in kicking, several shots to score going a bit wide. In the last term however, the Minimayites, made a grand final effort and put on 4 goals in rapid succession to their opponents nil, but even such superb kicking could not wipe off the deficiency as they had made their run a bit too late. When the final bell rang they were still 11 points in arrears; The final scores were Lemon Springs 5. 7. Minimay 4. 2.
The goal kickers were:--- Lemon Springs--- W. Caldow (3) T. Bray and Bert Burns, 1 each. Minimay--- E. Carracher (2) H. Oliver and H. Burns 1 each. The most prominent players for Lemon Springs were W. Caldow ( who stood out on his own as the best on the ground ), M. Maroney (Captain), B. Caldow and W. Burns ( who was conspicuous for his beautiful high marking ), Geo. Burns, W. Lancaster and J. Molloy. Those who tried hard to avert defeat were:------Henry Burns, P. Willis, F Stephens, A Quinlivan, C. Collins, B. Lavery and Carracher (3), and their captain, A. Miles.
Minimays best back man C. Wong was conspicuous by his absence. Mr E Cross umpired the game in an impartial manner, both teams being well satisfied with his decisions. Messrs J.T. Carracher and J. Molloy acted as goal umpires. Mr Geo. Reece acted as time keeper.

At the conclusion of the match the Lemon Springs ladies kindly supplied lunch which was much appreciated. The meeting of these two teams again is looked forward to with keen interest as the two games played between them have enlivened the public interest in football locally. Although Lemon Springs have been victorious on both occasions, the local lads are keen sportsman, and are ever ready for a friendly game of football.

Constable ROWLEY received word on Saturday that the body of John Thos Henry BUSH, who was drowned in the Wimmera River 15 days before while attempting to recover a drifting boat, had been recovered. Next morning he visited the scene, and an enquiry was held at Miss CALDER's, with the result that an open verdict that deceased met his death by drowning was returned. The enquiry was conducted by Mr G. H. EASTWOOD, J.P.
The body was found by John DUNBAR, an employee of Polkemmet Station, on Saturday morning, about a mile and a half from the spot where it sank. The body was floating feet down in a standing position, with the chin resting on the chest. DUNBAR, after securing the body to a tree, went to the Station for assistance, and Mr Geo. BILSTON, Carpenter, of Natimuk, who has a building contract there, returned with DUNBAR, and they removed the body from the water. The eyelids were the only portions of the body missing. The remains were removed to Horsham on Sunday for burial, the deceased's Godmother being Mrs J. S. THOMPSON, of that place.


Back to .. Main Page