The first services used to be held in a small wooden building in the present church grounds till 1880, when the old church was built. Services were conducted by Priests from Hamilton, namely, Fr KAVANAGH, Fr FENNELLY, Fr FARRELL. Later Fr MARSHALL was the first Parish priest of Casterton, which included Merino. He was appointed in 1875. The new church was built in 1935, and dedicated by Right Rev Dr. FOLEY, D.D., on 10th February, 1935.
Source : "Historic Souvenir of the Back to Merino and Henty Centenary Celebrations", November, 11th to 15th, 1937