James GARDINER 1825-1903
Margaret TAYLOR 1828-1895
Perthshire, Scotland ; Portland, Merino, Wando Vale & Sandford, S-W Victoria, Australia
James GARDINER was b. ~1825, Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, son of James GARDINER and Annie SCOTT and married in 1845 at Dunning, Perthshire, Scotland to Margaret TAYLOR, b. ~1828 Dunning, Perthshire, Scotland, daughter of Henry TAYLOR and Margaret DREW. The family arrived with 3 children at Portland, S-W Victoria on the "John Davies" in 1852.
The family remained at Portland for a few years during which time another 4 children were born before they moved north to Digby & Merino by 1861 where another 6 children were born. James GARDINER was recorded as a shoemaker at Merino in 1867.
Margaret GARDINER died and was buried at Sandford, near Casterton, S-W Victoria in 1895. Her husband James died in the Wimmera in 1903 and his body brought back to Sandford for burial.
James GARDINER and Margaret TAYLOR had the following known family....
- Margaret GARDINER, b. 1846, Dunning, Perthsire, Scotland, d. 1924, Chetwynd, S-W Vic., m. in 1862 at Sandford, S-W Victoria to James PICKEN 1834-1919, b. Ayrshire, Scotland, d. Chetwynd, S-W, Vic., son of Hamilton Robertson PICKEN and Jean FULTON.
- Ann GARDINER, b. 1848, Dunning, Perthsire, Scotland, d. 1929, Merino, S-W Vic., m. in 1868 at Merino, S-W Victoria to Dugald McINTYRE 1839-1900, b. Argyllshire, Scotland, d. Merino, S-W, Vic.
- James GARDINER, b. 1851, Dunning, Perthsire, Scotland, d. 1929, Meelbourne, Vic., m.1 in 1872 at Casterton, S-W Victoria to Clara CLEE 1855-1888, b. Casterton, S-W Vic., d. Melbourne, Vic. ; m.2 to Catherine WALLIS 1861-1896 ; m.3 to Jane SHAW 1860-1948.
- Mary Taylor GARDINER, b. 1853, Portland, S-W Vic, d. 1918, Horsham, Vic., m. in 1876 to James KERR 1843-1924, b. Banffshire, Sct., d. Melbourne, Vic., Overseer at "Tahara" station in the 1870s, then farmer at Patyah, near Edenhope, S-W Vic.
- Amelia GARDINER, b. 1855, Portland, S-W Vic, d. 1928, NSW., m. in 1879 to John WILSON 1847-1923, b. Ayrshire, Sct., d. NSW., lived in the Wimmera, Vic., then in NSW.
- Ellen Jane GARDINER, b. 1857, Portland, S-W Vic, d. ............, m. in 1877 in Queensland to John George TRONSDELL ...............?
- Henry GARDINER, b. 1859, Portland, S-W Vic, d. 1913, NSW., m. in 1887 to Martha Edith Humphret MOAR 1869-1943, b. S,A., d. NSW., lived in the Wimmera, Vic., then in NSW.
- Alexander GARDINER, b. 1861, Digby, S-W Vic, d. 1934, Melbourne, Vic., m. in 1890 to Agnes Montgomery WILSON 1871-1932, b. S,A., d. Melbourne, Vic., lived at Casterton, S-W Victoria, the Wimmera, East Gippsland and in Melbourne, Vic. In 1891 Agnes Montgomery GARDINER signed the Women's Suffrage petition at Casterton. They had 4 sons and a daughter, one son was killed in WW1 and 2 others served...
- Raymond Aubrey GARDINER, b. 1891, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1917, Passchendaele Ridge, Ypres, Belgium. WW1 service & death...
- 1916, Jul - Teacher at Cocoroc South S.S. No.3316 (near Little River), Victoriaenlisted WW1
- 1916, Jul - enlisted WW1 at Melbourne
- 1916, Jul - served as Pte 2325, 38th Battalion, AIF
- 1917, Jul 4th - Pte 2325, 38th Battalion, AIF, KIA Passchendaele Ridge, Ypres, Belgium
- Reginald Scott GARDINER, b. 1883, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1922, Melbourne, Vic. WW1 service...
- 1914 Aug - Student Teacher, Melbourne teachers' College.
- 1914 Aug - Pte 303, AIF. enlisted
- 1914 Oct - Pte 303, Headquarters, AIF, embarked "Orvieto" from Melbourne, Vic
- 1915 Mar - Cpl 303, Headquarters, AIF, promoted to Cpl, Mena, Egypt
- 1915 Apr - Cpl 303, Headquarters, AIF, landed, Anzac Cove
- 1915 Jul - Sgt 303, Headquarters, AIF, promoted to Sgt, Anzac Cove
- Norman Wilson GARDINER, b. 1895, Casterton, S-W Vic., ............?
- Enid Victoria GARDINER, b. 1897, Sea Lake, Vic., d. 1976, Melbourne, Vic., m. in 1925 to John Murray McKAY 1898- ? .
- Claude Montgomery GARDINER, b. 1800, East Gippsland, Vic., d. 1973, Melbourne, Vic., m. in 1933 to Kathleen Ruth SHUESAN 1902 - ? . Claude served with AIF in France, wounded, returned home...
- 1917 - Printer of Coburg, Vic.
- 1917 Jul - Pte 3303, 39th Battalion, AIF, enlisted
- 1918 Feb - Pte 3303, 39th Battalion, AIF, embarked "Wiltshire" from Melbourne, Vic
- 1918 Jul - Pte 3303, 46th Battalion, AIF, to France
- 1918 Aug - Pte 3303, 46th Battalion, AIF, wounded in France
- 1918 Aug - Pte 3303, 46th Battalion, AIF, wounded invalided to UK
- 1919 Feb - Pte 3303, 46th Battalion, AIF, disembarked Melbourne, Vic
- Agnes GARDINER, b. 1863, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1929, Beeac, Vic., m.1 in 1888 to Wilhelm HOLZGREFE ~1844-1897, b. Germany, d. Sheep Hills, Vic., m.2 in 1897 to Archibald ORR ~1864-1912.
- Isabella GARDINER, b. 1865, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1942, Milang, SA., m. in 1885 to William Arthur MOAR 1864-1953, b. Milang, SA., d. Milang, SA.
- John GARDINER, b. 1867, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1916, Meadows, SA., m. in 1896 at Adelide, SA to Jessie McKenzie FLINTOFF 1874-1937.
- Janet "Jessie" GARDINER, b. 1869, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1934, Katanning, WA, m. in 1890 to James LANGLEY 1861-1929, b. Millbrook, SA., d. Katanning, WA.
- Clara GARDINER, b. 1873, Merino, S-W Vic, d. 1942, NSW, m. in 1902 to George VENNELL 1861-1944, b. SA., d. NSW.