John LANE 1856-1946 and Hannah WELLS 1861-1916
Timboon, Camperdown, Wando Vale & Merino, Victoria, Australia
John LANE b. 1856 Timboon, Victoria, son of John LANE and Elizabeth BARRETT was married in 1878 at ___, Victoria to Hanna WELLS, b. 1861, Mt Duneed, Victoria, daughter of David WELLS and Martha WILEY.
John LANE was allocated Allotment 8, Section VI, 122 acres, on the Wando Vale Closer Settlement Scheme in 1900.
John & Hannah died 1946 and 1916 respectively and are both buried in the Merino Cemetery.
John LANE and Hannah WELLS had the following known family....
- James LANE, b. 1878, Camperdown, Vic, d. 1943, m. Louisa Janet JOHNSON, lived at Camperdown.
- Alfred John LANE, b. 1880, Camperdown, Vic, m. Alice Maud Elizabeth TEAL
- William LANE, b. 1882, Camperdown, Vic, d. 1960
- Ethel LANE, b. 1884, Terang, Vic, m. Alfred SMITH
- Etta Margaret LANE, b. 1887, d. 1887, Camperdown, Vic.
- Jane LANE, b. 1889, Camperdown, Vic, m. George Lambert YOUNG
- John Henry LANE, b. 1891, Camperdown, Vic, m. Eliza Jane DAVIS
- Kendrick David LANE [MM], b. 1893, Camperdown, Vic, m. Annie ALLEN and lived at Merino
Roy LANE, b. 1895, Camperdown, Vic, m. Lucy Ada MALLETT and lived at Merino.
- enlisted WW1, 30 Jan 1915
- served as L/Cpl 3314, 6th Field Ambulance, AIF
- wounded and awarded the Military Medal [MM], for bravery on 27 Oct 1917, Menin Road, Belgium
- RTA 15 Feb 1918
- Named on Casterton Town Hall Honour Roll
- Named on Merino War Memorial