John PATERSON 1832-1884
Helen PATERSON 1836-1917
Banffshire, Scotland; South Australia & Merino, S-W Victoria, Australia
John PATERSON, b 1832 Inverkeithny ch 28 April 1833 Inverkeithny Banffshire Scotland son of James PATERSON and Elizabeth (Betty) CLARK. John married his cousin, Helen PATERSON, 10 October 1860 at St. Andrews Church Wakefield St. Adelaide S.A. He d 31 Aug. 1884 Kongal Hd. Wirriga S.A. bur. 1 Sep 1884 Mundulla S.A.
Helen PATERSON was b 1836 ch Feb 1836 Auldmore Banffshire Scotland, and was the daughter of Walter PATERSON and Helen McGREGOR who arrived in S.A. 23 January 1839 on the ‘Resource’. Helen d 10 Aug. 1917 Goodwood S.A. bur. 11 Aug. 1917 West Terrace Cem. Adelaide S.A. She was a nurse and a midwife.
John and Helen travelled by bullock dray from Tinpot slightly north of Woodchester S.A. to Mocamboro near Merino. They had their first child in South Australia in 1862 and another born in 1863 and rumoured to have been taken from their camp by a dingo but this cannot be verified. They had another eight children in and around Merino. Four of their children were buried at early ages in the Merino Cemetery from 1863-1876.
John was a farmer at Dwyers Creek and Mocamboro Road Mocamboro Victoria. He was appointed to be on the committee at the Sandford Farmers meeting in 1867. He won first prize of 5 pounds for the best entire horse at the Sandford Agricultural Show in 1867. He had a butcher shop at Merino from 1875 almost opposite Mr. C. Coulson’s bootmaker and bakery shops near where the Railway Station was built. His business then became a bakery as well and was run by Mr. and Mrs. W. Heaney. John was a butcher when his name appeared on petitions for the Merino School in 1877 and 1879.
After the railway arrived the family left Merino and travelled by bullock-dray to Kongal S.A. where John was a farmer and from November 1883 he ran the tiny Post Office at Kongal delivering mail from Kongal to Mundulla and to the Wirrega railway station.
A Mrs TWEEDIE was recorded as midwife at one of the births at Dwyer's Creek in 1867. Who was Mrs TWEEDIE ?
John PATERSON & Helen PATERSON had a family of 10 children...