Grassdale SS 1547

8 miles SE of Merino



Grassdale School opened on 1st of January 1877 and closed on 3rd of September 1903. The school was situated at COOK's Corner about 8 miles SE of Merino. The Department provided a schoolroom with two rooms attached for the teacher's quarters. Attendance was about 15 and the first HT was Bernard DEVLIN, 1877-79. This school for at least part of its history operated part-time with Gometra, both under the same number. The Grassdale School closed as attendance fell and the buildings were removed to become Tahara West School in 1905. The Tahara bus from Merino Consolidated School now passes the old school site.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.