Charles BEST 1811-1891
Maria COUSINS 1814-1872
Dorsetshire, England ; Sandford & Casterton, S-W Victoria, Australia
Charles BEST b. 1811, Dorsetshire, Eng son of John BEST and Susannah MARTIN was married in 1831 Dorsetshire to Maria COUSINS, b. 1814, Dorsetshire, England, daughter of Robert COUSINS and Jane DANIELS.
Charles and Maria BEST and their children arrived in Victoria on the "British Empire" in 1849 and settled at Sandford, S-W Victoria before 1861.
Charles BEST and his wife Maria lived in Casterton from about 1861 until Maria's death in 1872. Charles remarried in 1875 to a widow Eliza FLETCHER (~1827-1914), nee TURNELL, from Sheffield, Yorkshire, whose first husband John FLETCHER (!1822-1874), from Nottingham, had died at Casterton in 1874. Charles BEST died at Casterton in 1891 and his widow Eliza died at Kew, Melbourne in 1914.
Charles and Maria BEST were both buried in the Sandford Cemetery in 1891 and 1872 respectively, as was their son Henry BEST after his tragic drowning at Sandford in 1863.
Charles BEST and Maria COUSINS had the following known family:
- Henry BEST b. 1831, Dorsetshire, England, m. Virtue WILLIAMS.
- Jane BEST b. 1832, Dorsetshire, England, m. William DOWLING.
- Ann BEST b. 1836, Dorsetshire, England, m. Francis COLLINGBURN.
- William BEST b. 1839, Dorsetshire, England, d. 1912, Mount Gambier, SA m. Ellen BRISCOE 1844-1916 and had the following known family....
- Jamesina BEST, b. 1863, Sandford, Vic, d. 1941, Perth, WA, m. Francis George SMALPAGE 1860-1929, son of Maudant SMALPAGE and Frances Elizabeth HENTY. They had the following known family and moved to Western Australia in the 1890s.
- Eugene Best SMALPAGE, b. 1882, Sandford, Vic, d. 1962 Perth, WA, m. Christina BALL 1877-1940. Eugene Best SMALPAGE served in the Boer War in South Africa as follows...
Eugene Best SMALPAGE served in WW1 with the AIF as follows...
- enlisted in Western Australia
- Tpr 413, 8th Australian Commonwealth Horse (WA)
- Pte 3287, 10th Light Horse Regiment, AIF
- enlisted 31 Jul 1916, age 34y
- Occupation: Salesman, 73 Charles St, Perth, Western Australia
- Wife: Mrs Christina SMALPAGE
- RTA 27 Jan 1919
- Francis George SMALPAGE, b. 1884 Mount Gambier, d. 1884, Adelaide
- female, b. 1889, Wyndham, Western Australia
- William BEST, b. 1865, Naracoorte, SA d. 1866
- Thomas BEST, b. 1866, Collingwood, Vic, d. 1874
- John BEST, b. 1875, Melbourne, Vic, d. 1875
William BEST had a 2nd marriage in 1881 at Sandford, Victoria to Mary Ann COOK, b. 1861, Port Fairy, Victoria daughter of John COOK and Charlotte PUGH. William & Mary Ann had a daughter Charlotte, b. 1881, Sandford, Victoria.
- Sarah BEST b. 1841, Dorsetshire, England, d. 1928, Perth, WA, m. 1861 James VINE 1840-1909 and had a large family in the Sandford, Casterton & Harrow area from 1862-1885. This VINE family then moved to Western Australia and James and Sarah VINE died at Perth, WA in 1909 and 1928 respectively.