|John LAWFORD 1814-1880
Christina CLARKE c.1818-1843
Mary THOMPSON (nee REILLY) 1814-1880
Hertfordshire, England; Scotland; Co Meath, Ireland;
Sydney, NSW; Melbourne, Harrow, Digby, Sandford & Carapook, Victoria, Australia
John LAWFORD, born c.1814, Chipping Barnet, Hertfordshire, England, son of Frederick LAWFORD and Phoebe BLACKBROUGH married in 1840 at Melbourne, Port Phillip District (now Victoria), Colony of New South Wales to Christina CLARKE, born ~1818, Scotland, daughter of Nicol CLARKE and Margaret DUNBAR.
Christina CLARKE, aged 21y, had arrived at Port Phillip in April 1840 on the "Glen Huntly" along with her parents and other family members as assisted immigrants from Fifeshire, Scotland.
John and Christina LAWFORD one child before Christina died in 1843.
John LAWFORD & Christina CLARKE the following family...
- George Gordon LAWFORD b. 1841, Melbourne, m. 1866 to Charlotte KYTE / KEYTE, b. 1850 Tasmania, daughter of James KYTE / KEYTE and Susan HOPWOOD. George & Charlotte LAWFORD had one child before Charlotte died in 1867 at Sandford, Victoria...
- Jane LAWFORD, b. 1866, d. 1867, Sandford, Victoria.
After the death of his first wife George Gordon LAWFORD married in 1868 to Amelia Jessie HAY who had been born in London. They had a large family at Casterton and Sandford.
George Gordon LAWFORD and Amelia Jessie HAY appear had the following family...
- John LAWFORD, b. 1869, Casterton, Vic, d. 1936, m. 1892 Mary EDNIE 1873-1965.
- Emma LAWFORD, b. 1871, Casterton, Vic, d. 1949, m. 1902 Herbert GILL 1870-1939.
- Eliza LAWFORD, b. 1874, Casterton, Vic, d. 1875, Sandford, Vic.
- George Patrick LAWFORD, b. 1876, Sandford, Vic, d. 1952, m. 1906 Sarah WALLER 1875-1961.
- Gordon LAWFORD, b. 1879, Sandford, Vic, d. 1956, m. 1911 Ellen Isabella PRETLOVE 1882-1958.
- James LAWFORD, b. 1882, Sandford, Vic, d. 1951, m. ...........?
- Christina LAWFORD, b. 1884, Sandford, Vic, d. .............., m. .............?
- Madeline LAWFORD, b. 1887, d. 1888, Sandford, Victoria.
- Leopold Howard "Harry" LAWFORD, b. 1889, Sandford, Victoria, d. 1933, m. 1919, Myrtle Beatrice HALLETT 1894-1970 - [Harry LAWFORD served in France in WW1 as Gnr 27901 with the 25th Howitzer Brigade, AIF and is named on the Sandford School Honour Roll.]
John LAWFORD ~1814-1880 & Mary REILLY 1814-1880
Sydney, NSW; Melbourne; Harrow; Digby, Sandford & Carapook, Victoria, Australia
John LAWFORD 1814-1880, Farmer, had a second marriage in 1878 at his farm named "Pleasant Banks" Carapook to Mary REILLY, b. 1814 West Meath, Ireland, daughter of Peter REILLY and Ellen BRENNAN.
Mary REILLY had an earlier marriage to a John THOMPSON in Sydney, New South Wales from which 5 children were born 1838-1846. The surving children were Anna, George, Catherine & Francis THOMPSON. Anna adopted the name LAWFORD and married Thomas Montague FRANKLIN in 1856 and was living near Sandford in the 1870s.
John and Mary LAWFORD appear to have had three children born near Harrow in the 1860s. Eliza who was born at "Mooree Station" was registered at Digby in 1858 with John LAWFORD recorded as a 45 year old Shepherd of Digby.
John and Mary LAWFORD both died near Sandford in 1880 and are buried in the Sandford Cemetery.
John LAWFORD and Mary REILLY had the following family...
- Eliza Mary LAWFORD 1857-1939, b. "Mooree" Station, Harrow, Victoria; d. Melbourne, Victoria; m. 1873 to Frederick Joseph BYRNE 1854-1924, b. Mount Gambier, South Australia to John BYRNE and Mary Ann PEMBURY; d. Melbourne, Victoria. They had the following children...
- Frederick Henry James BYRNE 1873-1943, born Sandford, Victoria; died Ouyen, Victoria.
- Charles James BYRNE 1876-1924, born Sandford, Victoria; died Junee, NSW.
- Mary Ann BYRNE 1879-1923, born Sandford, Victoria; Melbourne, Victoria.
- Albert Vincent BYRNE 1880-1925, born Sandford, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria. Served in WW1 as Pte 4938, 12th Battalion, AIF.
- Hilda May BYRNE 1883-1951, born Casterton, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria.
- Alice Ellen BYRNE 1886-1964, born Apsley, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria.
- Elizabeth Maud BYRNE 1888-1954, born Jung Jung, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria.
- John Philip BYRNE 1891-1969, born Minyip, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria.
- George Leslie BYRNE 1893-1949, born Beulah, Victoria; died Melbourne, Victoria. Served in WW1 as Pte 372, 24th Battalion, AIF.
- F LAWFORD 1860-1860, born and died 1860, Harrow, Victoria.
- John James LAWFORD 1863-1950, b. Harrow, Victoria; d. Perth, Western Australia; m. 1885 Victoria to Mary Maria Ann HARPER 1853-1921, b. Adelaide, South Australia to William HARPER and Elizabeth SNELL; d. Pinjara, Western Australia; 5 children.