Colin Matheson LAWRENCE 1858-1945
& Alice Selina RICHARDSON 1859-1948
Woolsthorpe, Casterton, Sandford & Corndale, S-W Victoria, Australia
Colin Matheson LAWRENCE b. 1858, Woolsthorpe, near Port Fairy, S-W Victoria son of Francis Julius "Frank" LAWRENCE 1830-1889 of Takely, Essex, England and Mary Ann MATHESON ~1833-1890 of Portee, Isle of Skye, Scotland arrived in Victoria before 1855.
Alice Selina RICHARDSON b. 1859, Casterton, S-W Victoria daughter of John Thomas RICHARDSON known as "Jack the Shingler" from Sussex, England and Ellen CURRAN from Enniscorthy, Co Wexford, Ireland.
Colin Matheson LAWRENCE and Alice Selina RICHARDSON were married in 1880 at Casterton, S-W Victoria and lived at Sandford on the Wannon, S-W Victoria after their marriage and later moved to the Casterton area. The report on their Golden Wedding celebrations in 1930 provides useful family information...
GOLDEN WEDDING.--The fiftieth anniversary of the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Colin Lawrence was celebrated on 22nd September at Christ Church parish hall, where about 150 relatives and friends sat down to a dainty repast of the best viands and sweets. When all the guests had been seated, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence were heartily applauded as they walked arm in arm to their dining table.
The Rev. Canon Macqueen presided over the gathering, and in opening the toast list, proposed that of "The King."
The health of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence was proposed by Cr. J. Little, who said it was the first golden wedding he had ever attended. He had known all his life the couple who were now celebrating the unique anniversary. He recalled that the Lawrences, after their marriage, had resided in Sandford, but like many others, had gone to Casterton and did well. The Lawrence family was one of the oldest in Casterton, and were always well to the fore. Grandfather Richardson (Mrs. Lawrence's father) was one of the first pioneers to live in Casterton. Mr. Lawrence and he (the speaker) were employed in the gang that did the first work on the Mount Gambier road, but after a time at that work Mr. Lawrence got away to the land. He wished health and happiness to the couple, and hoped that they would have as a good a time in the future as in the past. On behalf of the gathering he extended to Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence the best wishes of the gathering that were present that night.
Children of the guests present at the function were :-- Naomi (Mrs. W. Thomas, Corndale), Flora (Mrs. A. White, Adelaide), Beatrice (Mrs. W. Allen, Melbourne), and Messrs Chas. and Frank Lawrence. Also present were many relatives of the family.
A unique feature was the presence at the function of the bridesmaid (Miss Mappison), whose health was proposed by the chairman, and duly honored.
The ceremony of cutting the wedding cake was duly carried out, and pieces partaken of by guests.
The latter part of the evening was spent in dancing and singing, an enjoyable time being spent. During the evening Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence were the recipients of heartiest congratulations from friends and relatives.
Many gifts were also presented to the elderly couple.
"The Border Watch" (Mount Gambier, SA) Thursday, 2nd October 1930.
Colin Matheson LAWRENCE died in at Casterton in 1945 and his wife Alice Selina died there in 1948 and both are bureid in the Casterton New Cemetery.
Colin Matheson LAWRENCE and Alice Selina RICHARDSON had the following family...
- Charles John LAWRENCE b. 1881, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1959 Mount Gambier, SA. m. 1910 to Eleanor DENT 1871-1957. (3 children)
- Francis Henry "Frank" LAWRENCE b. 1884, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1959 Casterton, S-W Vic, m. 1914 to Elizabeth Ellen McNICOL 1888-1971.
- Naomi Alice LAWRENCE b. 1886, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1972 Mount Gambier, SA, m. 1909 to William john THOMAS 1881-1952. (9 children)
- Flora LAWRENCE b. 1888, Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1964 daw park, Adelaide, SA, m. 1912 to Archibald Lyall "Archie" WHITE 1890-1944.
- Ada Beatrice LAWRENCE b. 1891, "Tullich" station, Lake Mundi, near Casterton, S-W Vic., d. 1970 Alexandra, N-E Vic., m. 1918 to William Walter "Wally" ALLEN 1892-1946.