William McDONALD 1851-1925 & Mary COX 1857-1941
Sandford, Victoria, Australia
William McDONALD b. ca 1851, Scotland son of John McDONALD and Janet 'Jessie' STEWART was married in 1874 to Mary COX, b. 1857, Portland, Victoria, daughter of Charles Yates COX and Mary NOONAN / NEWLAN.
William McDONALD arrived at Adelaide, South Australia as an infant member of his parents family in 1852 and the family appears to have settled in the Penola area of South Australia.
William and Mary McDONALD are both buried in the Sandford Cemetery.
William McDONALD and Mary COX had the following known family at Sandford:
- Mary Isabella McDONALD b. 1874, Sandford, Vic, m. James GROGAN. Mary was a teacher prior to her marriage.
- John McDONALD b. 1876, Sandford, Vic, m. ................?
- William Stewart McDONALD b. 1878, Sandford, Vic, m. ................?
- Charles Cox McDONALD b. 1880, Sandford, Vic, m. ................?
- James Alexander McDONALD b. 1882, Sandford, Vic, m. Ada Mildred BOGGS.
- Thomas Albert McDONALD b. 1889, Sandford, Vic, m. Alice Beatrice COX.
- Robert Skirving McDONALD b. 1895, Sandford, Vic.
- enlisted WW1 14 Aug 1914, occupation Pastrycook, residence Sandford
- served Gallipoli as Pte 153, 2nd Field Ambulance, AIF
- KIA, 8 Aug 1915, Gallipoli
- Named on Casterton Town Hall Honour Roll
- Named on Casterton War Memorial
- Named on Sandford War Memorial
- Named on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli
[Left] Pte 153, Robert Skirving McDonald, 2nd Field Ambulance, AIF, |
KIA Gallipoli, 8 Aug 1915.
[Middle] William Strong Abraham
Thanks to Dave for a copy of the photograph.