Samuel ROLPH 1849-1921 b. Chilwell, Geelong, Port Phillip
Elizabeth Jane FRENCH 1847-1917 b. Chatham, Kent, England
Kent, England ; Geelong ; Warrnambool ; Sandford, Hamilton & Casterton, S-W Victoria, Australia.
Samuel ROLPH 1849-1921 b. Chilwell, Geelong, Port Phillip, son of Nathaniel ROLPH and Hannah BRYANT from Gloucestershire, England.
Elizabeth Jane FRENCH 1847-1917 b. 1847, Chatham, Kent, England, daughter of Charles FRENCH and Martha HILLS who died at Portland, S-W Victoria.
Samuel ROLPH and Elizabeth Jane FRENCH were married at Warrnambool, S-W Victoria in 1871, and had eight children at Hamilton and Sandford, S-W Victoria from 1872 to 1887. By 1891 Samuel ROLPH was employed as a miller at Peter LEARMONTH's Grangeburn Flour Mill at Hamilton, S-W Victoria. The parents had moved to Casterton where, by 1917, they were living with one of their sons when Elizabeth died and Samuel died a few years later in 1921. Both are buried in the Casterton cemetery.
Additional information supplied by Ken Sheridan (March 2016)...
Leonard Rolph, my grandfather, had no middle name as far as I know, have seen it on any index or document.
Here is some information about Samuel Rolph's career, relevant to history.
The birth certificate of son Samuel French Rolph, born in Sandford in shows that Samuel was a miller, probably at the flour mill there, by Peter Learmonth at the time I think. According to his obituary (Casterton News December 22, 1921) he was employed in Hamilton for 27 years by Messrs P. Learmonth and Co. and for 11 years was manager of the Hamilton Butter Factory. According to his father Nathaniel's obituary, at the time in May 1891 Samuel was in charge of the Grange Burn flour mill--Nathaniel was a gardener and later a carter there.
Samuel's obituary goes on to say that he came to Casterton 15 years earlier and erected the freezing plant for Mr. Quenton, and worked at the factory for a number of years.
Leonard Rolph's wife, Emily Florence Jeffreys, was John "Chummy" Jeffreys eldest of 13 children. John was brought out to Casterton 1884 his uncle Thomas Jeffreys who went back to Liverpool for a visit in with his wife and youngest child Annie.
Samuel ROLPH and Elizabeth Jane FRENCH had the following known family...
- Martha Hannah ROLPH b. 1872, Hamilton, S-W, Vic., d. 1954, Mildura, N-W Vic., m. in 1894 to Henry "Harry" SAUNDERS 1859-1919.
- William John ROLPH b. 1875, Hamilton, S-W, Vic., d. 1959, Sydney, N.S.W., m. in 1901 at Portland, S-W Vic., to Elizabeth Ann "Lily" GUY 1880-1965.
- Bertram Charles ROLPH b. 1877, d. 1878, Sandford, S-W, Vic..
- Albert James "Bert" ROLPH b. 1878, Sandford, S-W, Vic., d. 1937, Portland, S-W Vic., m.1 in 1906 to Charlotte Elizabeth FLETCHER 1881-1930, m. 2 in 1933 to Edith Clara HUTCHINSON (nee GUY) 1879-1953.
- Charles Nathaniel ROLPH b. 1880, d. 1880, Sandford, S-W, Vic..
- Samuel French ROLPH b. 1882, Sandford, S-W, Vic., d. 1951, Horsham, Vic., m.1 in 1910 to Caroline Eliza Fanny McCOMBE 1876-1918, m.2 in 1922 to Helen Maud STRUDWICK 1894-1951.
- Charles Henry ROLPH b. 1885, Sandford, S-W Vic., d. 1962, Neerim, Gippsland, Vic., m. 1913 Mount Gambier, SA to Doris Wilhelmina SMITH 1893-1964.
- Leonard Robert ROLPH b. 1887, Hamilton, S-W, Vic., d. 1971, Ararat, Vic., m. in 1912 to Emily Florence JEFFREYS 1890-1968.