Strathdownie, Lake Mundi & Lindsay District Settlers
South West Victoria, Australia
Some of the settlers and families with a link to the Strathdownie, Lake Mundi & Lindsay District
west of Casterton in South-Western Victoria, Australia.
Other names or events linked to this area are most welcome.
updated 21 May 2017
- ANDERSON : Jane ANDERSON 1859-1920, b. Digby, Vic., m. 1877 Edward RIGNEY 1852-1919, at Strathdownie 1880s & 1890s, d. Casterton.
- BAIRD :
- BALKIN :
- BALL : Ann BALL 1860-1906, b. Willunga, SA to Henry BALL & Jane SUTTON, d. Myaring, S-W Vic., m. 1879 to Alexander DEVEREUX 1853-1935.
- BALL : Henry BALL 1833-1904, b. Gloucestershire, Eng., to James Henry BALL & Ann PRICE, d. Mt Gambier, S.A., m. 1852, England to Jane SUTTON 1830-1913 of Staffordshire, England, farmer of "Park Hill Farm" Strathdownie East.
- BALL : James Henry Elias Thomas BALL 1809-1883, b. Monmouthshire, England. to James Henry BALL & Mary THOMAS, d. Strathdownie East, S-W Vic., m.1 1832, Gloucestershire, England to Ann PRICE 1810-1856 [12 children], m.2 1857, South Australia to Catherine HANLEY 1837-1929 [10 children].
- BALL : John James BALL 1865-1939, b. Mt Gambier, SA, to Henry BALL & Jane SUTTON, farmer of Strathdownie & Dartmoor, d. Dartmoor, S-W Vic., m. 1889 at Dartmoor to Mary Jane DOWLING 1871-1956.
- BARBOUR :
- BATES : Alfred Henry BATES 1819-1873 & Thomas BATES 1825-1909, sons of Thomas BATES travelled overland from "Station Peak" station, You Yangs near Geelong and settled "Kaladbro" station on 28th September 1845, along with 2 bullock drivers and William HALL, an 18 year old shepherd.
- BEATON :
- BEILBY : John Wood BEILBY 1818-1903, occupied "Strathdownie West" Station 1845-48, shot & killed Charles DURANT of Branxholme, at Strathdownie in 1847.
- BILSTON : Frederick William BILSTON 1849-1935, b. Heywood, 1873 selector at Strathdownie, obtained a Closer Settlement Block at Wando Vale in 1900, lived at Sandford 1930-1935 (sp. Elizabeth JENNINGS ~1869-1935).
- BLURTON :
- BOYD : John BOYD ~1830-1870, died at "East Strathdownie" Station, burial paid for by Mr. McEACHERN.
- BRAME / BRAHAM :
- BROWN :
- BULL : Samuel BULL,
- BUTT :
- BYE :
- CAIN : Isabella Frances CAIN 1855-1939, of Yambuk, Strathdownie & Casterton (sp. James Lloyd WATSON ~1855-1920)
- CAIN : John CAIN 1857-1905, farmer of "Dunmoor" Strathdownie (sp. Mary Ann CREED 1869-1948)
- CAMERON : Allan CAMERON 1823-1896, b. Inverness-shire, Scotland, son of Donald & Flora CAMERON, m.1 Marjory Mary CAMERON ~1826-~1852 ; m.2 Helen McLEOD 1831-1905 ; arrived 1851 ; at "Morambro" & "Nangwarry" Stations, later at "Bealiba" Station, central Victoria, where both he & Helen died.
- CAMERON : Andrew CAMERON 1861-1911, b. Strathdownie, S-W Vic., to John CAMERON & Margaret McFARLANE, d. 1911, Casterton, S-W Vic., Glenelg Shire Councillor 1907-11, m. 1881, Mount Gambier, SA to Louisa BOARDMAN 1859-1939, b. Portland, S-W Vic., to John BOARDMAN & Ann WRIGHT, d. Mount Gambier, SA. 7 children, including Clarence who served in WW1.
- CAMERON : John CAMERON 1836-1911, b. Argyll, Scotland, d. Glencoe, SA, m. 1858, Strathdownie, S-W Vic., to Mary Margaret McFARLANE 1840-1908, b. Perthshire, Scotland, d. Glencoe, SA. 12 children.
- CAMERON : John CAMERON c.1840- ? servant for John McEACHERN at "Heathfield" in 1871
- CAMPBELL :
- CARMICHAEL : Thomas CARMICHAEL c.1831-1888, b. Roxburghshire, Scotland, to Thomas CARMICHAEL & Euphemia RUTHERFORD, d. "Argyle" Station, Lake Mundi, near Casterton, S-W Vic., m. 1856 "Maryvale" Station, near Edenhope, S-W Vic., to Margaret FLETCHER 1833-1906, b. Selkirkshire, Scotland, to James FLETCHER and Agnes GRIEVE, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria, both buried in the "Argyle" Station cemetery. 15 children.
- CAWKER : John CAWKER c.1809-1865 & Elizabeth WARD 1803-1885, carpenter, arrived with wife & children (Elizabeth, Thomas, Mary, John & Agnes) at Geelong in 1854, both parents died at Casterton. Thomas CAWKER 1838-1926 became a well-known horseman and coach-driver.
- COLLINS :
- COUTTS : George COUTTS ~1815-1852, "East Strathdownie" 1851 (sp. Mary PEGGIE 1813-1876)
- CREED :
- CROWE :
- DAVIDSON : Mark DAVIDSON operated the "Border Inn" at Lindsay in 1848
- DAVIES :
- DAVIS :
- DEACON :
- DEMPSTER : Alexander Melville DEMPSTER 1861-1924, b. Harrow, S-W Victoria to Const. Alexander Carroll DEMPSTER and Margaret MELVILLE, Head teacher (1881) at Strathdownie East School (Wilkin), d. Castlemaine, Victoria, m. 1890, Victoria, to Stella Theresa O'CALLAGHAN 1864-1936, b. Mortlake, Victoria, to Bartholomew O'CALLAGHAN and Mary GRIFFIN, d. Melbourne, Victoria.
- DENT :
- DEVEREAUX : Alexander DEVEREAUX,
- DONOVAN : Edward DONOVAN 1857-?, mailman for Michael SPRING at Lindsay Post Office in 1871
- DOWLING : Mary Jane DOWLING 1871-1956, of Sandford, Strathdownie & Dartmoor (sp. John James BALL 1865-1839)
- DOYLE : Julia Teresa DOYLE ~1849-1934, both in Strathdownie area before 1874 marriage (sp. Francis SUTTON ~1848-1911)
- DREWITT :
- DRYSDALE :
- DUNFEY :
- DURANT : Charles "French Charlie" DURANT - May 1847, horse-breaker for John Wood BEILBY on his "Strathdownie" station in 1847. He was shot and killed by BIELBY in a dispute over a horse and is buried in a lone grave on the "Strathdownie" - "Woodford" station boundary.
- DWYER :
- FARRELL :
- FELLOWS :
- FERGUSON : Donald FERGUSON 1832-1909, b. Argyllshire, Scotland to Donald FERGUSON and Mary CAMPBELL; m. 1859, Argyllshire, Scotland to Marion GALBRAITH 1837-1911, b. Argyllshire, Scotland to Lachlan GALBRAITH and Jessie MORRISON. Donald & Marion arrived in Victoria in 1860 on the "British Trident" and came to the Casterton and Strathdownie area where 9 children were born. Donald died in 1909, and Marion in 1897, both at Casterton and were buried at Strathdownie.
- FILGATE : Herbert Jonathon FILGATE 1863-1932, b. Clare, SA, to Jonathon FILGATE & Fanny Eliza GLEESON, manager at "Ardno" 1895, "Nangeela" 1905, of "Redcliffe" Carapook, 1916, Glenelg Shire Councillor 1906-13, d. Casterton, S-W Vic., m. 1901 to Mary Ann "Polly" HARWOOD 1871-1923, b. Sandford, S-W Vic., to James HARWOOD & Mary CAMPBELL, d. Sandford, S-W Victoria.
- FITZGERALD :
- FLETCHER : Miles FLETCHER 1819-1889, b. Argyllshire, Scotland, son of Donald FLETCHER & Janet McNAUGHTON, arrived 1851, squatter of "Tullich" Station 1855-72, d. 1889 "Dalmally" Station, Roma, Queeenlsand.
- FLOWER : John William Crickmore FLOWER 1839-1924, b. Norfolkshire, England, son of Jonathan FLOWER & ..., immigrant per "Nene Valley" from London, England, shipwrecked at Cape Northumberland, 1854, of "Argyle" Station 1867, "Lake Condah" Station 1879, d. 1924 Sydney, NSW, m. 1867 at Strathdownie Wildreness Church to Margaret Mary KYLE 1849-1918, b. Sydney, Colony of NSW to Capt. Thomas KYLE & Margaret McEACHERN. Children in Victoria & NSW.
- FORAN :
- FRASER :
- FREELY :
- GALBRAITH :
- GILLIES : Alexander GILLIES 1830-1921, of Lake Mundi (sp. Eliza Gill McDONALD 1835-1899)
- GILMORE :
- GLANVILLE :
- GOLD : Charles GOLD,
- GREEN :
- GREGAN :
- GRIEVE :
- HALES : John "Jack" HALES c.1828-1909, b. Huntingdon, England to Jonathan HALES and Mary ABBOTT, arrived on the "Priam" in August 1852 at Portland Bay, Victoria; employed by Edward HENTY at "Muntham" Station ; and for 48 years by John ROBERTSON of "Struan" near Naracoorte, SA ; d. 1909 near Penola, South Australia ; m. 1857 Portland, Victoria to Catherine McCANN c.1835-1900, b. Dublin, Ireland to John McCANN and Mary GRANGE ; d. Glenroy, near Penola, South Australia. John and Catherine HALES had the following known children born at Strathdownie, Victoria and near Penola, South Australia : Mary, Jonathan, Elizabeth, Margaret, Robert Joseph, William Henry, Rose and Isabella. John and Catherine HALES both buried in the Penola cemetery.
- HALL : William HALL 1827-1900, b. Somersetshire, England, an 18 year old shepherd, along with 2 bullock drivers in the employ of brothers Alfred Henry BATES 1819-1873 & Thomas BATES 1825-1909, travelled overland from "Station Peak" station, You Yangs near Geelong as a team of 5 and settled "Kaladbro" station on 28th September 1845. He remained at "Kaladbro" until 1847 then was a shepherd for John McLELLAN on nearby "Tullich" station for 6 months before returning to his home at Williamstown, near Melbourne, Victoria.
- HAMMETT :
- HARGREAVES : John Sampson HARGREAVES 1881-1946, b. Strathfieldsaye (near Bendigo), Victoria, farmer of Wilkin and Strathdownie, d. Strathdownie, S-W Victoria, m. 1916, to Janette BARBOUR 1892-1972, b. Strathfieldsaye, Victoria, d. Strathdownie.
- HARVEY :
- HARWOOD :
- HASSETT : Thomas HASSETT 1846-?, servant at "Argyle" station in 1871
- HAYES :
- HEALEY : Denis HEALEY 1862-1915, b. Mount Gambier, SA, farmer of Strathdownie (1892), d. Hamilton, Victoria, m. 1892, Casterton, Victoria, to Emily Jane POOLE 1863-1952, b. Penshurst, Victoria, servant of Strathdownie (1892), d. Melbourne, Victoria.
- HEPBURN : Isabella HEPBURN,
- HICKEY :
- HILL : James Bennett HILL 1858-1942, b. Launceston, Tasmania, to Joseph HILL and Elizabeth LLOYD; bootmaker and tanner of Ardno, Strathdownie (1890s), d. Penola, S-E South Australia, m. 1881 to Sara Lydia UNDERWOOD 1859-1949, b. Nairne, South Australia, to Reuben UNDERWOOD and Margaret EDWARDS, d. Kalangadoo, SA.
- HILL : James Bennett HILL 1878-1887, b. Melbourne, Victoria, to Charles Thomas HILL and Mary Alice LAWSON; father d. Mt Gambier, S-E South Australia in 1882; d. 1887, aged 9y when the springcart he was driving overturned.
- HOGG :
- HOLDEN : William HOLDEN c.1836-1906, b. VDL or NSW to John HOLDEN and Mary Elizabeth BRIDGLAND, Bookkeeper, Storekeeper, Hotelkeeper of Strathdownie East, brother-in-law of William McEACHERN, d. Strathdownie, Victoria.
- HUGHES : John HUGHES abt. 1820- ? , employee of John Wood BEILBY "Strathdownie" Station 1847, knew Charles DURANT.
- HUGILL :
- HUMPHRIES : Charles HUMPHRIES,
- HUNSCOTT : Thomas HUNSCOTT ~1790-1880, died at Ardno West, aged 90y, buried Lake Terrace Cemetery, Mount Gambier.
- HUNT : James Thomas HUNT 1858-1924, b. Lancashire, England to Robert HUNT and Elizabeth ..?..; Rugby Player for England; Cricket Player for Lancashire, Emgland; Station manager of "Strathkellar" station, near Hamilton, Victoria; "Eumerella" Estate, Macarthur, Victoria; "Kaladbro" Station, Strathdownie, Victoria 1902-1921; d. "Warreanga" Caroline, S-E South Australia, m. 1900, Macarthur, Victoria to Elizabeth Mary Ann HUNTLY 1869-1942, b. Macarthur, Victoria to John Lockyer HUNTLY and Ellen McDANIEL, d. Mount Gambier, South Australia; 4 children.
- HUTTON : Capt. Charles HUTTON 1809-1879, had "Strathdownie East" Station 1845-1848 (sp. Margaret SMITH, ch'n born Melbourne 1843-1854)
- JAENSCH : Charles Ferdinand Robert JAENSCH 1817-1911, b. Posen, Prussia, d. 1911 Beaufort, Vic., m. 1851, Wardy Yallock, Vic., to Elizabeth Ann WYATT 1832-1918, b. Bath, Somersetshire, England, d. 1918 Beaufort, Vic., large family, some born at "Argyle" and "Tullich" stations, west of Casterton in the 1860s, by 1868 the family settled in the Beaufort area of Victoria. [NOTE : the family name was LANG when in the Casterton area.]
- JARRAD :
- JEFFREY : William JEFFREY 1851-1924 & Mary Ann LLOYD 1851-1941 had ch'n at Strathdownie in the 1880s.
- JESSUP : Walter JESSUP 1828-1896, b. Norfolk, England to James JESSUP and Alice JACOB, m. 1847, England to Harriet WELLS 1824-1852, died a few days after their ship "Marmion" arrived at Portland, S-W Victoria. Walter remarried in 1854 to Jane Elizabeth RICHARDSON 1829-1887, b. Ireland, 10 children at Portland, Mount Gambier, Ardno & Casterton, died Casterton, S-W Victoria. Walter remarried in 1890 to Elizabeth MADDICK (nee SANDRY) 1839-1893, she died at Portland, Victoria. Walter died at Killara, S-W of Casterton.
- JENKINS :
- JOHNSON : Charles JOHNSON 1854-1923, b. Hamilton, S-W Vic., m. 1876, Mount Gambier, SA to Mary McINTYRE 1856-1949, b. Mount Gambier, large family, living at Strathdownie in the 1880s.
- JOHNSON : Charles JOHNSON 1883-1939, b. 1883, Strathdownie, S-W Vic., to Charles JOHNSON & Mary McINTYRE. Served in WW1, gassed, single, died Port Pirie, SA.
- JOHNSTON :
- JONES :
- KAIN :
- KEARNEY :
- KENNEDY :
- KENNEY :
- KERR : Alexander KERR 1866-1894, b. South Australia to Daniel KERR and Elizabeth McEACHERN; d. Kaladbro-Ardno, West Strathdownie, S-W Victoria.
- KERR : Daniel KERR c.1824-1892, b. ...?... to Daniel KERR and Mary ..?..; Selector of Ardno, West Strathdownie 1880s-1892; d. Strathdownie, S-W Victoria; m. Elizabeth McEACHERN c.1831-1890, b. ...?... to Alexander McEACHERN and ...?..., d. Strathdownie, S-W Victoria.
- KEW :
- KILSBY :
- KILSBY : Alfred Ashton KILSBY 1863-1930, b. Glenburnie, South Australia, to James KILSBY and Elizabeth PRATT ; farmer of Strathdownie (c.1890), d. Mount Gambier, S-E South Australia, m.1 1885 to Isabel TAYLOR c.1853-1886 ; m.2 1888 to Mary Alice HILL (nee LAWSON), widow of Charles Thomas HILL ; b. Tasmania, to John LAWSON and Catherine HARBER, d. Moorak, SA.
- KIRBY :
- KNAPSEY :
- LAIDLAW :
- LAMOND : Angus William LAMOND 1847-1908, b. Isle of Mull, Scotland to Allan LAMONT and Jane McLEAN, d. Naracoorte, SA, m. Margaret Jane BARNES 1856-1941, b. Teesdale, Victoria to William Henry BARNES and Mary Anne HARPER, d. Apsley, S-W Victoria. 13 children. Angus was at "Tullich" Station, Lake Mundi with his parents after arrival at Portland in Nov. 1853.
- LAMONT : Allan LAMONT 1809-1907, b. Isle of Mull, Scotland to John LAMONT and Mary McLEAN, d. Penshurst, S-W, Victoria, m. 1836, Isle of Mull to Jane McLEAN c.1816-1878, b. Edinburgh, Scotland to Murdoch McLEAN and Hannah ROEBUCK, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria. 9 children. Allan and family employed at "Tullich" Station, Lake Mundi after arrival at Portland in Nov. 1853.
- LANE :
- LEAKE :
- LEARMONTH :
- LEITH :
- LESTER : Donald LESTER 1860-1901, b. Robertson's Plains ("Struan") to William LESTER and Catherime McLEOD, d. "Elderslie" Station (Langkoop), S-W Victoria, result of horse-riding accident.
- LEWIS :
- LISTER :
- LIVINGSTONE :
- LOCKIE : John LOCKIE 1834-1910, grazier of Strathdownie, Puralka & Glenburnie (sp. Anne REYNOLDS ~1831-1914)
- LOWE : George LOWE 1810-1880
- MATHESON : Murdoch MATHESON 1823-1904, from Skye, arrived 1854, at "Kaladbro" 1866, d. Portland (sp. Janet "Jessie" CAMERON 1833-1919)
- McBEAN : Alexander Cameron McBEAN ~1839-1913, Strathdownie 1860, Merino, Hamilton, d. NSW (sp. Christina NICHOLSON ~1837-1922)
- McBEAN : Donald Nicholson McBEAN 1860-1930, b. Strathdownie, son of Alexander & Christina, d. Portland, Vic. (sp. Jessie Margaret McPHERSON 1868-1940)
- McCALLUM : Duncan McCALLUM 1823-1901, b. Ardno, Argyllshire, Scotland, m. 1857, Portland Vic., Flora McCARTHUR 1833-1900; of Strathdownie, Digby & Merino, Vic.
- McCALLUM : Edward McCALLUM 1804-1892, b. Ardno, Argyllshire, Scotland, m. 1852, Scotland, Jessie McCARTHUR ~1825-1906; of Tasmania; "Ardno" Strathdownie; "Limestone Ridge" Mumbannar & Melbourne, Vic.
- McCALLUM : James McCALLUM 1841-1911, b. Argylleshire, Scotland; manager "Kaladbro" ~1877- ?; Carapook, Vic; d. 1911, Melbourne, Vic., m. 1899, Johanna Isabella Elizabeth McCALLUM 1860-1921.
- McCALLUM : Mary Margaret McCALLUM 1853-1937, b. Ardno, Vic., m. 1869, Ardno, Vic to Malcolm McKINNON ~1820-1877
- McCALMAN : George McCALMAN,
- McCORKINDALE : Dugald McCORKINDALE 1809-1868, b. Argyllshire, Scotland to Archibald McCORKINDALE and Maragret McEACHERN; m. 1844, Argyllshire, Scotland to Flora McLEAN 1818-1897, b. Morven, Argyllshire, Scotland to Alexander McLEAN and Ann McEACHERN. Dugald & Flora and 5 children arrived in Victoria in 1862 on the "Great Australia" and came to work for their McEACHERN relatives at "Heathfield" Station. Dugald died in 1868, buried Heathfield, and Flora died in 1897 and buried at Mount Gambier.
- McDONALD : Eliza McDONALD 1835-1899, of Lake Mundi; (sp. Alexander GILLIES 1830-1921)
- McDONALD : Euphemia McDONALD 1830-1911, of "Penola Station," Mumbannar & "Border Inn" Lindsay (sp. Michael SPRING 1821-1895, Inn-keeper "Border Inn")
- McDONALD : John Samuel McDONALD 1837-1932, son Hector McDONALD of "Crawford Inn" Hotspur, "Mac's Hotel," Portland; grazier 40 years at Strathdownie, d. Portland (sp. Eliza Thompson McDONALD 1853-1844)
- McEACHERN : Alexander Archibald McEACHERN 1859-1915, eldest son of John "Little John" McEACHERN, settler of "Heathfield" (sp. Marion FERGUSON 1865-1931)
- McEACHERN : Angus McEACHERN 1816-1875, son of Hugh, settler of "Kangaroo," "Crawford Inn" Hotspur, d. "Kangaroo" (sp. Ann McDONALD 1834-1914, d. New Zealand)
- McEACHERN : Archibald McEACHERN ~1791-1859, brother of Hugh of "Heathfield" operated steam boats at Glasgow, Scotland, arrived ~1854, d. "Strathdownie East" m. in 1829 at Morven, Argyllshire, Scotland to Margaret McLACHLAN 1802-~1850.
- McEACHERN : Archibald McEACHERN 1832-1855, son of Archibald 1791-1859 of Glasgow, Scotland, arrived ~1854, d. "Strathdownie East" aged 23y.
- McEACHERN : Archibald McEACHERN 1820-1896, son of Hugh McEACHERN, settler of "Funnary" Strathdownie West m.1 Mary McARTHUR ~1829-1861; m.2 Valentine Margaret Ann MORRISON 1845-1881
- McEACHERN : Duncan McEACHERN 1824-1901, son of Hugh, settler of "Heathfield," "Kangaroo," "Risng Sun Hotel" Hotspur, d. Portland (sp. Margaret McDONALD 1838-1914)
- McEACHERN : Hugh McEACHERN 1776-1863, settler of "Heathfield" (sp.1 Mary Margaret STEWART 1780-1834; sp. 2. Mary Ann CAMPBELL ~1794-1882)
- McEACHERN : John "Long John" McEACHERN 1828-1908, son of Hugh, settler of "Heathfield," "Knebsworth," Hotspur & Nelson (sp. Annie McLEAN 1828-1897)
- McEACHERN : John "Little John" McEACHERN 1837-1923, youngest son of Hugh, settler of "Heathfield" & "The Wattles" (sp. Annabella McKENZIE 1835-1922)
- McEACHERN : Malcolm Stewart McEACHERN 1819-1879, son of Hugh, settler of "Heathfield." "Strathdownie West" & stock inspector in Benalla area, d. Wahgunyah (sp.1 Ann CAMERON 1827-1872; sp.2 Elizabeth Sedgwick ROSS ~1838-1914)
- McEACHERN : William McEACHERN 1814-1895, b. Morven, Argyll, Scotlant, eldest son of Hugh McEACHERN & Mary Margaret STEWART, manager "Springbank" 1841, settler of "Strathdownie East" 1851, d. Rosewood, N.S.W., m.1 1852 to Euphemia KYLE 1813-..?..; m.2 1856 to Mary Elizabeth HOLDEN 1832-1899, daughter of John HOLDEN & Mary Elizabeth BRIDGLAND.
- McEWEN : Peter McEWEN 1840-1902, b. Argyllshire, Scotland, arrived 1863, station manager "Argyle" 1868, then "Dunrobin" until 1902, 6 ch'n. 1873-84, d. "Dunrobin" Casterton; m. 1872 to Janet "Jessie FLETCHER 1844-1904, b. Argyllshire, Scotland, daughter of Peter FLETCHER & Margaret GARROW.
- McFARLANE : John McFARLANE ~1846-1920, assistant manager on "Kaladbro" station in 1870 (sp. Annabella Georgina Elizabeth McEACHERN ~1865-1947)
- McGRATH : James McGRATH ~1827-1928, b. Ireland, of "Carwarp" station; Kyneton; "Muntham" station, Bahgallah & Strathdownie, m. Johanna MULCAHY ~1840-1918, both buried at Strathdownie.
- McINNES : Charles McINNES ~1845-1914, son of Donald McINNES & Catherine McKINNON; manager "Kaladbro" station 1870; grazier "Bamboa" Strathdownie 1889, d. 1914 Port Fairy, Vic (single)
- McINTYRE : Donald McINTYRE 1805-1859, b. Argyle, Scotland, d. "Heathfield" station, m. Catherine McNICOL 1823-1892 (sister of Alexander McNICOL 1828-1912 of Merino), b. Glenorchy, Argyle, Sct., died Merino, S-W Vic. 4 children 1850-56.
- McINTYRE : John McINTYRE 1847-1934, married at Strathdownie in 1866, d. Mt Gambier (sp. Mary Ann SHAW 1844-1935)
- McINTYRE : Mary McINTYRE 1858-1899+,
- McKENZIE : Kenneth McKENZIE c.1830-1896, b. Loch Carron, Scotland to Alexander McKENZIE and Annabella McRAE; d. White Cliffs, NSW; m. 1858 at "Ardgarton" station, near Digby, Victoria to Susan GRAHAM 1839-1892, b. Wigtonshire, Scotland to William GRAHAM and Jean CAMPBELL; 7 children; d. Casterton, S-W Victoria.
- McKINNON : Catherine McKINNON ~1806-1888, b. Isle of Skye; d 1888, "Bamboa" Strathdownie, Vic, m. __, Scotland to Donald McINNES ~1796-1853
- McKINNON : Charles Farquhar McKINNON 1821-1893, b. Isle of Skye, Sct., son of Rev. John McKINNON & Ann McKINNON, squatter of "Mingbool" and "Kilbride" or "Nangwarry" stations, d. 1892, Melbourne, Victoria. Brother of Lauchlan McKINNON, proprietor of "The Argus" newspaper, Melbourne.
- McKINNON : Donald "the elder" McKINNON ~1810-1864, b. Isle of Skye; d 1864, "Mooreep" Vic, m. 1856, ___, Vic to Elizabeth McINNES ~1829-1903
- McKINNON : Donald "the younger" McKINNON ~1820-1869, b. Isle of Skye; d 1869, "Kaldbro" Strathdownie (single).
- McKINNON : Hector McKINNON 1823-1881, b. Isle of Skye; d 1881, Melbourne, Vic; at "Kaldbro" Strathdownie bef 1881 (single).
- McKINNON : Hector Malcolm McKINNON 1877-1940, b. "Mingbool" m. 1907 to Leslie May ANDERSON 1883-1968
- McKINNON : Malcolm McKINNON ~1820-1877, b. Isle of Skye; d 1877, "Mingbool" SA, m. 1869, Ardno, Vic to Mary Margaret McCALLUM 1853-1937
- McLACHLAN : Angus McLACHLAN,
- McLEAN : Angus McLEAN 1836-1919, "East Strathdownie" 1856-1868 & Drik Drik (sp. Ann Mary NICHOLSON 1838-1927)
- McLELLAN : David McLELLAN 1839-1924, b. Ayr, Scotland, d. Mount Gambier, SA, m1. 1860, Strathdownie, S-W Vic. to Mary ESLER ~1838-1891; sailor, shearer, settler of "Admella" Drik Drik, S-W Victoria, 7 daughters & 2 sons; m2. 1902 to Olga Wanda Von ALPEN 1863-1951.
- McNICOL : Catherine McNICOL 1823-1892,
- McNICOL : John McNICOL 1818-1903, b. Craignish, Argyllshire, Scotland to James McNICOL & Mary SMITH, d. 1903, Toorak, Melbourne, Victoria ; m. 1854 Portland Bay, S-W Victoria, Australia to Mary May CAMERON 1826-1886, b. Corriechoille, Inverness-shire, Scotland to John CAMERON & Amelia McPHERSON, of "Barongarong" (Comaum) & Fox Hall Stations, near Naracoorte, S-E SA & "Bassett's" Station, near Hotspur, S-W, Victoria. Later of "Eremeran" Station, Nymagee, NSW, Australia.
- McPHEE : Marion McPHEE 1826-1897,
- McPHERSON : Elizabeth McPHERSON,
- McPHERSON : John McPHERSON ~1820-1918, b. Scotland, m. 1854 Marion Sarah McDONALD, nee McKAY ~1815-1898, employee at "Compton" SA 1854-55, "Strathdownie East" 1855-58, "Woodford" 1858-61, "Wando Vale" 1861-63, "Glencoe" SA 1863-1900, died Mt Gambier, SA.
- McPHERSON : Hugh McPHERSON,
- McRAE : John McKenzie McRAE c.1833-1892, b. .... Station Overseer of "Heathfield" & "Dunrobin" stations, d. Mount Gambier, SA, m. 1868 to Jane McINTYRE (nee McEACHERN) 1835-1906, b. Morven, Argyllshire to Hugh McEACHERN & Mary Ann CAMPBELL, d. Mount Gambier, SA.
- MEAGHER : Michael Francis MEAGHER c.1843-1918, and Daniel MEAGHER c.1850-1927, b. Co Tipperary, Ireland, were sons of Daniel MEAGHER c.1817-1905 & Annie CAHILL c.1823-1900, who arrived with other children at Portland, S-W Victoria in 1854. Brothers Michael & Daniel selected land at Kaladbro in the 1870s, later sold and moved to Hamilton, S-W Victoria.
- MORRIS : Owen Hutchinson MORRIS 1866-1952, b. Biscuit Flat, Robe, SA, to Thomas henry MORRIS & Ann HUTCHINSON, owned "Ardno" Station 1904-09, Glenelg Shire Councillor 1908-09, d. Adelaide, SA., m. 1894 to Mary Jane GRIEVE 1864-1947, b. Mosquito Plains, S-E SA., to Aitchison GRIEVE & Ann FORDHAM, d. Mount Gambier, S-E SA.
- MUNRO : John MUNRO operated "Munro's Inn" known later as the "Border Post" and "Border Inn" at Lindsay in the 1840s
- NEAVE :
- NICHOLSON : Ann Mary NICHOLSON 1838-1927, "East Strathdownie" 1856-1868 & Drik Drik (sp. Angus McLEAN 1836-1919)
- NICHOLSON : Christina NICHOLSON ~1837-1922, Strathdownie, Merino, Hamilton & NSW (sp. Alexander Cameron McBEAN ~1839-1913)
- O'BRIEN :
- O'BRYAN : Luke O'BRYAN ~1864-1938, of Strathdownie & Dartmoor (sp. Isabella Josephine McEACHERN ~1867-1939)
- PARKER :
- PEAKE : Joseph Fitzpatrick PEAKE 1852-1940, b. Portland, S-W Victoria, son of Joseph PEAKE & Mary FITZPATRICK, d. Mount Gambier, SA, m. 1876 at Strathdownie, S-W Victoria to Adeline Jane PAGE 1858-1908, b. Gisborne, Victoria, to Joseph PAGE and Adelaine Jane ANTHONY, d. "Nangwarry" station, S-W Victoria. Joseph was employed on "Nangwarry" station for over 40 years and resided at Kalnagadoo, SA for his last 16 years.
- PEAKE : Thomas PEAKE c.1840-1908, b. Ireland, son of Joseph PEAKE & Mary FITZPATRICK, d. during a bushfire on "Elderslie" station, S-W Victoria, m. ... to Sarah Ann DAVIS c. 1844-1929, b. ..., to Cornelius DAVIS and Mary SMITH, d. Casterton, S-W Victoria. Thomas was boundary rider on "Elderslie" for 31 years until his 1908 death.
- PEDLOW :
- PEGGIE : Mary PEGGIE 1813-1876, "East Strathdownie" 1851-56 (sp. George COUTTS ~1815-1852)
- PENNY : John Henry Hutchins PENNY 1857-1938, grazier of "Ardno East" (sp. Annie Eliza STEEL ~1866-1948)
- PERRY :
- PETERS : Alfred (William) John PETERS 1827-1893, b. London, son of John PETERS & Elizabeth CLARK, d. Strathdownie, S-W Vic., m. 1850, Wannon River, S-W Victoria to Jane Teresa ENNIS 1837-1911, b. Dublin, Ireland, ch'n in the Digby, Merino & Sandford area 1851-1876, d. Gippsland, Vic.
- PETHER : Thomas William PETHER ~1828-1916, b. Van Diemen's Land, son of Reuban PETHER & Jane AUBE; d. Melbourne, Vic., m. 1867 Jane McMORRON ~1847-1908; of Ballarat, "Lake Bonney" station, Strathdownie, Vic., Longreach, Qld., large family.
- PICKIN :
- POVEY : Alan POVEY 1909-1984 of Carapook, "Summerton" & "Ardno East" (sp. Amy Victoria DAVIES 1912-1990)
- RAGGATT : Francis RAGGATT 1848-1923, England, SA, farmer of Strathdownie (sp. Charlotte KELLY ~1855-1917)
- RAFTER : Thomas RAFTER ~1840-?, Police Constable at Strathdownie in 1871
- REDFERN :
- REID :
- REYNOLDS : Anne REYNOLDS ~1830-?, servant employed by William McEACHERN (This may be the Anne REYNOLDS who married John LOCKIE 1834-1910 in Victoria in 1860.)
- RIGNEY : Edward RIGNEY 1852-1919 m. 1877 Jane ANDERSON 1859-1920, b. Digby, Vic., at Strathdownie 1880s & 1890s, d. Casterton.
- ROBERTS :
- ROSS :
- RYAN :
- SALT :
- SANDERS :
- SCOTT :
- SHANNON : John SHANNON 1830-1917, b. Co Tyrone, Ireland, of Mumbannah & Wilkin, buried Strathdownie.
- SHAW : Mary Ann SHAW 1844-1935, married at Strathdownie in 1866, d. Mt Gambier (sp. John McINTYRE 1847-1934)
- SHORT :
- SIMPSON :
- SINEL : George SINEL 1826-1915,
- SMITH : Duncan SMITH 1838-1918 of Mt Gambier married Ann LIVINGSTON 1855-1922 of Mt Gambier, in 1877 at the Wildreness Church, Strathdownie.
- SNELL : Alice SNELL,
- SPRING : Michael SPRING 1821-1895, b. Co Meath, Ireland to John SPRING and Margaret FLYNN, arrived 1849 at Port Phillip (Victoria) of "Border Inn" Lindsay, Kaladbro parish, Strathdownie, Victoria; d. Lindsay, Strathdownie, Victoria; m. 1853 at "Penola" Station, South Australia to Euphemia "Effie" McDONALD 1830-1911; b. Isle of Coll, Argyllshire, Scotland to Neil McDONALD and Elizabeth "Betsy" McDOUGALL; d. Lindsay, Strathdownie, Victoria; 9 children.
- STEEL : Annie STEEL ~1866-1948, of "Ardno East" (sp. John Henry Hutchins PENNY 1857-1938)
- STEWART :
- STONE : Henry STONE ~1822-1911 of Penola & Strathdownie, m1 to Keziah RICHARDSON ~1829-1868, d. at Penola, SA, 8 children; m2. in 1878 to Ellen HOGG 1950-1937, 5 children. Henry & Ellen buried Strathdownie.
- STUBBERFIELD : George STUBBERFIELD ~1840-?, station-hand on "Kaladbro" station in 1870
- SULLIVAN :
- SUTTON : Francis SUTTON ~1848-1911, both in Strathdownie area before 1874 marriage (sp. Julia Teresa DOYLE ~1849-1934)
- TAYLOR : John Charles TAYLOR c.1846-1912, b. Bachus Marsh, Victoria to John TAYLOR and Ellen KERNAN; at Casterton (1870s), Kaladbro, Starthdownie (1880), Terang (1902); d. Terang, Victoria; m.1 Ann McGILLIVRAY c.1842-1875, b. Scotalnd to John McGillivray and Annie FRASER; d. Casterton, S-W Victoria (3 chn.); m.2 1879 to Elizabeth SPRING 1855-1902, b. Lindsay, Strathdownie, Victoria to Michael SPRING and Euphemia McDONALD; d. Terang, Victoria (11 chn.)
- THOMAS :
- THOMPSON :
- TOOEY :
- TURNER : TURNER,
- TURNLEY : Henry Wellington TURNLEY
- URQUHART : Roderick "Rory" URQUHART 1808-1875, squatter "Kinkell" Strathdownie-Dartmoor. In May 1847 was with John Wood BEILBY the day Charles DURANT was shot.
- WALKER :
- WATSON : Andrew WATSON 1817-1888, b. Edinburgh, Sct., son of Andrew WATSON & Henrietta MAXWELL, squatter of "Mingbool" and "Kilbride" or "Nangwarry" stations, magistrate in S-E SA & S-W Victoria before 1867, d. Bath, England
- WATSON : James Lloyd WATSON c.1855-1920, farmer of Strathdownie, S-W Victoria (sp. Isabella Frances CAIN 1855-1939)
- WATTERS : Edward McDonald Lindsay WATTERS 1886-1954, b. Strathdownie, S-W Victoria to Hugh WATTERS and Mary ann FOX, labourer of Rainbow, Wimmera in 1916 when he enlisted in the 39th Battalion, AIF (served on the Somme, France, wounded twice, RTA in 1919, Tree No. 2220 Ballarat Avenue of Honour), d. 1954, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.
- WATTERS : Hugh WATTERS c.1845-1917, b. Co Tyrone, Ireland to James WATTERS and ...?..., farmer of Kaldbro parish, Strathdownie in the 1880s, d. 1917, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia; m. 1881, Ballarat, Victoria to Mary Ann CREGAN (nee FOX) 1842-1924, b. Geelong, Colony of Port Phillip (Victoria) to Hugh FOX and Ann McDONALD, d. Ballarat, Victoria. 4 children [Charles, William, Alexander and Edward] born at Strathdownie, S-W Victoria.
- WILLIAMS : Christmas WILLIAMS 1869-1893, b. Mount Gambier, South Australia to William WILLIAMS and Anne SULLIVAN, tannery employee to James Bennett HILL, bootmaker and tanner of Ardno, Strathdownie, drowned in a tannery pit at Ardno, Strathdownie, aged 23y, buried at Mount Gambier.
- WILTSHIRE / WILLSHIRE,
- YEATES : George Barr YEATES 1824-1902, b. London, England, d. Jamestown, SA., m. 1854, SA., to Louisa Rebecca POWELL 1837-1917, b. Warwickshire, England, d. Jamestown, SA., children born in SA and VIC, four born at "Tullich" station, west of Casterton 1867-1873, by 1875 the family had returned to the Clare district of South Australia.