Wando Bridge SS 3842

11 miles NE of Casterton, South-West Victoria, Australia



Originally Wando Bridge was known as Black Bridge. The school, first proposed by J. NEYLON, was built on the Casterton-Edenhope Rd, approximately 11 miles NE of Casterton immediately W of the Wando River. It officially opened on 1st of June 1914 under HT Miss CAREY with a NE of 8. Miss CAREY remained until 20th of September 1914 when HT HOOPER took charge. The weatherboard school was burnt down in 1919. The school building from Wando Vale North was brought down to the Wando Bridge site whilst a new weatherboard structure was being built. The school closed on 7th of September 1937, re-opened again in 1945 and finally closed in June 1946 because of a shortage of teachers. In 1949 the building was removed to 2303 Nareen to replace the existing structure there.

Source: "Vision & Realisation", Vol 2, Education Department of Victoria.