David HOUSTON 1838-1928
Rebecca HAMILTON c.1837-1912
Fifeshire, Scotland; Co Tyrone, Ireland; Truro, South Australia; Carapook & Goroke, S-W Victoria, Australia
David HOUSTON 1838-1928, b. Fifeshire, Scotland, son of Robert HOUSTON & Margaret BELL arrived in South Australia before 1861.
Rebecca HAMILTON c.1837-1912, b. Drumore, Co Tyrone (Tyr), Northern Ireland, daughter of James HAMILTON & Mary LISSETT arrived in South Australia before 1861.
David HOUSTON & Rebecca HAMILTON were married in 1861 near Truro, South Australia and had a family of 5 children in that location from 1861 to 1869. A 6th child was born at Carapook, in south-west Victoria in 1874.
David HOUSTON, Carpenter of Carapook, with 4 school-aged children, living 1 mile south of Carapook was one of the signatures to the 1875 petition aimed at establishing a new school at Carapook between Casterton & Coleraine in south-west Victoria, Australia.
Rebecca, wife of David HOUSTON died at Horsham in 1912 and her husband David died at Goroke in 1928.
David HOUSTON & Rebecca HAMILTON had the following family...
- James HOUSTON b. 1861, Truro, SA, d. 1953, Sydney, NSW, school teacher in Victoria, m. 1883, Digby, S-W Victoria to Sarah Louisa LACKMANN 1860-1957, b. Digby, S-W Victoria. James was born at Truro, SA in 1861 and probaly attended Bruk Bruk SS at Carapook in the 1870s when his family arrived in that area from SA. In 1881 James became the first teacher at Gymbowen SS in S-W Victoria, then at Goroke SS for a number of years before transferring to Gippsland in 1904. He was the Head teacher at Bendigo North SS during the WW1 period. James and Sarah later lived at Canberra, where daughter Ruth Marjorie was with the prime Minister's Deapratment in 1927. Both James and his wife Sarah HOUSTON died at Sydney, NSW. Two of their young children were buried at Digby in the 1880s and four of their sons served with the AIF in WW1 with 3 dying as a result of this service. They had the following family...
- James Hamilton HOUSTON b. 1884, Gymbowen, Vic., d. 1905, Boort, Vic. [Victorian Railway employee];
- Ferdinand Roy HOUSTON, b. 1886, d. 1886, Casterton, Vic. [Infant death, bur. Digby cemetery]
- Ruby Adelaide HOUSTON, b. 1887, Gymbowen, Vic, d. 1888, Casterton, Vic. [Infant death, bur. Digby cemetery]
- Clement David HOUSTON, b. 1889, Goroke, Vic., d. 1935, Parkes, NSW, m. 1920 to Gladys Eleanor McQUIE 1896-1984;
- WW1 1st AIF, 4th Light Horse Regiment & Artillery
- enlisted 11 Oct 1916
- RTA 1 Nov 1919
- Raymond Lackmann HOUSTON, b. 1892, Goroke, Vic., d. 1955, Sydney, NSW, m. 1923 to Marjorie Eleanor McQUIE 1897-1963;
- WW1 1st AIF, 4th Battalion, AIF
- enlisted 15 Dec 1914
- at Gallipoli, evacuated dangerously ill
- RTA 31 Oct 1915
- Herbert Horace HOUSTON, b. 1894, Goroke, Vic, d. 1918, Bendigo, Vic. [Death a result of war service]
- WW1 1st AIF, 4th Light Horse Regiment
- enlisted 23 Oct 1914
- RTA 5-07-1916
- d. 3-11-1918, Bendigo, Vic
- Francis Gerald HOUSTON, b. 1896, Goroke, Vic, d. 1916, London, England. [died after being wounded in France]
- WW1 1st AIF, 57th Battalion
- enlisted 12 Jul 1915
- wounded Oct 1916, France
- d. London, England
- Digby Avenue of Honour Tree No 92, planted by Miss May ANDERSON
- Alan Russell HOUSTON, b. 1900, Goroke, Vic., d. ......, m. .......... [died after 1953];
- Ruth Marjorie HOUSTON, b. 1902, Horsham, Vic., d. Willoughby, Sydney, NSW, m. 1948, NSW to Theodore Wesley FRANCIS 1907-1970. [Marjorie a public servant in Prime Minister's Department, Canberra in 1927.]
- David HOUSTON b. 1863, d. 1864, Truro, SA.
- Thomas HOUSTON b. 1865, Truro, SA, d. 1936 Horsham, Victoria, m. 1900 to Elizabeth McGuffog McHARG 1869-1953.
- David HOUSTON b. 1867, Truro, SA, d. 1888, Horsham, Vic. from typhoid fever.
- Selina HOUSTON b. 1869, Truro, SA, d. 1938, Goroke, S-W Victoria, m. 1890 to William Henry KNIGHT 1856-1938, b. Digby, S-W Victoria.
- Robert Hamilton HOUSTON b. 1874, Carapook, S-W Victoria, d. 1932, Ararat, Victoria.