Daniel O'NEILL 1805-1871
Ann PATERSON c.1803-1846
Ireland ; VDL (Tasmania), 1840s ; "Crawford Inn" Hotspur & Penshurst, S-W Victoria, Australia
Daniel O'NEILL b. 1805, Co Meath, Ireland, son of Henry O'NEILL and Letitia SHIELDS was married in 1827 in Dublin, Ireland to Ann PATERSON, b. c.1803, ___, daughter of ___ and ___.
Daniel O'NEILL was a storekeeper in Melbourne in 1840 and established 'The Crawford Inn' at Hotpsur on the bank of the Smokey (Crawford) River c.1841. He obtained a licence in April 1842 to operate an Inn from 1 Jul 1842 to 30th Jun 1843 and held the licence until Hector McDONALD from nearby 'Snizort Station' took over in 1847.
Some key events in the life of Daniel O'NEILL were...
- 1833 - Daniel, wife Ann and infant daughter sailed from Dublin to Van Diemen's Land
- 1834 - dau Matilda born in Launceston, Van Diemen's Land, Daniel a Sgt in the 21st Regiment of Foot.
- 1839 - son Henry Thomas born in New Norfolk, Van Diemen's Land, Daniel a Storekeeper.
- 1841 - son Daniel born in Melbourne, Port Philip, Daniel a Storekeeper in Melbourne.
- 1840s - Daniel O'Neill owned Limekilns Hills station, north from Portland and the children (four surviving) were educated by a tutor who came up from Portland (from a newspaper cutting)
- 1842 - Daniel obtained a licence in April 1842 to operate the "Crawford Inn" at Hotspur from 1 Jul 1842 to 30th Jun 1843 and held the licence until Hector McDONALD from nearby "Snizort" Station took over in 1847.
- 1846 - Daniel O'NEILL's wife Ann died at "The Crawford Inn" on 23 Jun 1846 and was "buried there" three days later.
Daniel O'NEILL and Ann PATERSON had the following known children...
- Mary Ann O'NEILL b. 1831, Ireland, m. 1849 to George CHISHOLM
- Matilda O'NEILL b. 1834, Launceston, Van Diemen's Land, m. 1860 to James Stewart BUTTERS
- Henry Thomas O'NEILL b. 1839, New Norfolk, Van Diemen's Land, .......?
- Daniel O'NEILL b. 1841, Melbourne, Vic,............?
Daniel O'NEILL's daughter Matilda married James Stewart BUTTERS in 1860 at Warrnambool, Victoria after the death of his first wife. James became Mayor of Melbourne in 1867 and 1868. There was an interesting report on a dress that Matilda had made and wore to a number of functions in Melbourne on the web at The World of Antiques & Art
By 1860 Daniel O'NEILL was living at Penshurst and had a second marriage to a Mary Ann QUILIGEN / CALLAGAN and additional children, some of whom were born in the 1850s. Some of the known key events in this phase of his life were...
- 1854 - son, James O'NEILL born at Castlemaine
- 1856 - dau, Ann Jane O'NEILL, born at ___
- 1858 - son, William Roland O'NEILL, born at ___
- 1860 - son Dyas Thomas O'NEILL, born at Penshurst
- 1861 - dau Elizabeth O'NEILL, born at Penshurst
- 1861 - dau Avonia Letitia O'NEILL, born at ____
- 1871 - Daniel O'NEILL died at Wangaratta, Victoria