James "Jimmy" REID 1834-1915
Mary LARKIN c.1834-1903
Co Antrim, Ireland; "Crawford" Station, Hotspur, Portland, Casterton, Victoria & Mount Gambier & Millicent, S.A., Australia
James "Jimmy" REID b. 1834, Co Antrim, Ireland, son of ___ REID and ___ was married in 1853, Co Antrim Ireland, to Mary LARKIN, b. c.1834, Co Antrim, Ireland, daughter of Patrick LARKIN and Mary McBRIDE. Mary LARKIN was a sister of Hannah LARKIN c.1846-1932 who also emigrated to Australia and married John Allan BLAIR 1843-1935, having children in the Casterton area from 1869-1888. Mary & Hannah LARKIN's brother James LARKIN c.1840-1931 also emigrated and married Bridget McNAMARA c.1835-1902 and they were having children at Sandford, S-W Victoria in the 1860s & '70s.
James & Mary REID emigrated on the "Hooghly" from England in December 1853 and arrived at Portland, Victoria in March 1854. They were employed by Henry MONROE of "Crawford" Station and their first child was born shortly after their arrival. They worked at "Crawford" Station for about six years before purchasing a farm near Portland.
About 1870 they took over the license of the "Caledonian Inn" at Bolwarra on the Portland-Heywood Road and they opperated this inn for a few years.
The family moved to Mount Gambier and Millicent over the border in South Australia about 1877.
James & Mary REID are both buried in the Millicent Cemetery.
James "Jimmy" REID & Mary LARKIN had the following family:
- Mary Ann REID b. 1854, "Crawford" Station, Hotspur, Victoria, d. 1944, Millicent, SA, m. William John McINTYRE 1848-1895 (children at Casterton and in South Australia).
- Patrick REID b. 1856, "Crawford" Station, Hotspur, Victoria, d. 1948, Ballarat, Victoria, m. ____ ?.
- Eliza Ellen REID b. 1858, "Crawford" Station, Hotspur, Victoria, d. 1863, Victoria (accidentally burnt).
- Isabella "Belle" REID b. 1860, Portland, Victoria, d. 1940, Penola, SA, m1. Charles Henry BEST 1856-1885, m2. James CLIFFORD 1854-1934 (children at Penola, South Australia 1888-1905).
- Hannah REID b. 1862, Portland, Victoria, d. 1947, Hamilton, Victoria m. John CARTER abt.1857-___, (children in South Australia and Condah, Victoria 1883-1900).
- James REID b. 1864, Mount Gambier, South Australia, d. 1942, Portland, Victoria, m. ____ ?.
- John REID b. 1866, Mount Gambier, South Australia, d. 1867, Sandford, Victoria.
- Flora McDonald REID b. 1868, Casterton, Victoria, d. 1963, Geelong, Victoria m. Thomas James McMINN 1856-1938, (children at Condah and Beech Forest, Victoria 1889-1912).
- Francis William John REID b. 1871, Portland, Victoria, d. 1927, Adeaide, South Australia. (Boer War Service in South Africa with 4th South Australian Imperial Bushmen. WW1 service with 3rd Light Horse Regiment, AIF.)
- Christopher Alexander REID b. 1873, Portland, Victoria, d. 1956, Woodville, South Australia m. Emily May GARD 1887-1964.
- Henry D'Arcy REID b. 1875, Portland, Victoria, d. ___, South Africa ?. (Boer War Service in South Africa with 6th South Australian Imperial Bushmen. Remiained in South Africa after the Boer War.)