Peter TURNER 1794-1879
Janet McEACHERN 1795-1876
Morvern, Argyllshire, Scotland ; Heathfield, Digby & Merino, S-W Victoria, Australia
Peter TURNER b. ca 1794, Argyll, Scotland, d. 1879, Digby, Vic. was married in 1824 in the Parish of Morvern, Argyll, Scotland to Jannet McEACHERN b. 1795 Argyll, Scotland, d. 1876, Digby, Vic.
Peter, Jannet and some of their children arrived in Victoria, Australia on the 'Western Bride' in 1855 along with many of Jannet McEACHERN's relatives. The TURNER members on the passenger list of the 'Western Bride' and their declared ages were - Peter (55), Janet (55), Cathe (27), Peter (23), Margaret (21). Who was Margaret TURNER?
They spent 7 years at "Heathfield" Strathdownie and in 1863 bought land at Tahara near Merino.
Peter TURNER & Jannet McEACHERN had the following known children:
- Catherine TURNER 1825-1891, b. Knock, Morvern, Argyllshire, Scotland, d. Digby, Victoria;
- Angus TURNER b. 1827, Morvern, Argyll, Sct, d. 1901, Dergholm, S-W Vic, m. in 1855, Inverness, Scotland to Christina SUTHERLAND b. 1831 Glengarry, Scotland and had the following family...
- William TURNER b. 1856, "Heathfield" Strathdownie, Vic, m. Mary Jane McCALLUM;
- Janet McEachern TURNER b. 1858, Vic ?;
- Peter TURNER b. 1859, Vic ?; (did not marry)
- Angus TURNER b. 1861 Digby, Vic, m. Ann FERGUSON;
- Archibald TURNER b. 1863 Merino, S-W Vic., d. 1943 Casterton, S-W Vic., m. in 1915 to Isabella PICKEN 1878-1947, b. Chetwynd, S-W Vic., d. Geelong, Vic.
- James TURNER b. 1865 Merino, Vic, m. Selina Catherine SHRIVE;
- Christina TURNER b. 1868 Merino, Vic;
- John TURNER b. 1870 Merino, Vic;
- Jane TURNER b. 1873 Casterton, Vic, m. John Charles DAVIS;
- Eliz Ann TURNER b. 1877 Dergholm.
- Peter TURNER b. 1828, Balindore Nr Bonawe, Muckairn, Argyll, Scotland, son of Peter TURNER and Jannet McEACHERN was married in 1878, Victoria to Jannet 'Jessie' McKINNON b. 1845 Raasay, Inverness-shire, Scotland, d. 1901, Digby, Vic. In the 1870s the TURNER family moved to the Digby area and in 1911 bought part of the Morven subdivision near Branxholme. Jannet McKINNON's parents Alexander and Christy married at Screapadal, Raasay, Parish of Portree. They and their family were living at Castle Raasay in 1851. Jannet was a sister of Euphemia Mairi TOWNSEND (nee McKINNON) 1846-1937.
Peter TURNER & Jannet 'Jessie' McKINNON had the following children:
- Peter TURNER b. 1878, Digby, Vic, d. 1970, Hamilton, Vic, m. Ethel May McINTYRE;
- Christina McRae TURNER b. 1880, Digby, Vic, d. 1951, Hawthorn East, Vic;
- Janet McEachern TURNER b. 1881, Digby, Vic, d. 1882, Digby, Vic;
- Euphemia Mary TURNER b. 1882, Digby, Vic, d. 1889, Digby, Vic;
- Jessie Margaret TURNER b. 1884, Digby, Vic, d. 1922, Branxholme, Vic
- Matthew Townsend TURNER b. 1887, Digby, Vic, d. 1918, France
- WW1 1st AIF, 29th Battalion, enlisted 1-03-1916
- KIA 29-08-1918, Eterpigney, France
- Tree No.14 : Digby Avenue of Honour planted by Miss Jessie TURNER
- Archibald Donald TURNER b. 1890, Digby, Vic, d. 1975 Melbourne, m. Ruby LASKEY;
- Ann TURNER 1830-1916, b. Muckairn, Argyllshire, Scotland; d. Branxholme, Victoria; m. 1870 to Joseph Patterson ATKINSON c.1830-1903, b. Newcastle, England to Matthew ATKINSON and Margaret REAY; d. Branxholme, Victoria; 2 children.
- Archibald TURNER 1833-1908, b. Muckairn, Argyllshire, Scotland; d. Strathdownie, Victoria; m. 1855 to Isabella FERGUSON 1836-1903, b. Argyllshire, Scotland to Donald FERGUSON and Mary CAMPBELL; d. Strathdownie, Victoria; 10 children.