Samuel BULL c.1826-1908
Alice SNELL c.1830-1910
England ; Casterton, Myaring and Sandford, S-W Victoria, Australia
Samuel BULL b. c.1826, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, son of James BULL and Elizabeth TURNER was married in 1855 at "Sandford" Station, S-W Victoria to Alice SNELL, b. c.1830, Penzance, Cornwall, England, daughter of Samuel or Sampson SNELL and Elizabeth GREEN.
Samuel BULL emigrated from England, arriving at Portland, S-W Victoria on the "John Davies" in 1852.
Alice SNELL emigrated from England, arriving at Portland, S-W Victoria on the "Oithona" in 1854.
Samuel and Alice BULL had a family of 9 children from 1857-1878 (details below).
The following is a newspaper report (thanks to Graeme Baugh of Casterton) of their golden wedding celebrations in 1905 at their home, "Bushman's Retreat", Myaring, near Dartmoor, S-W Victoria.
Casterton Free Press, 18th December, 1905
"Golden Wedding", Myaring, Saturday
Mr and Mrs BULL, of Bushman's Retreat, Myaring celebrated their golden wedding (50 years of married life) at their residence on Friday last, when about 150 relatives and friends assembled to do honour to them. Mrs BULL arrived at Portland in the ship "Athona" [sic], on 1st of February 1855, whilst Mr BULL arrived at the same port in the ship "John Davies" on the 11th November, 1852. Mr BULL first engaged with Mr KIRBY, of the Glenelg Inn, Casterton. Afterwards Mr Edmond KIRBY bought "Springbank", and worked with a man named WAINES, who was hanged in Melbourne for the murder of Mr and Mrs HUNT. The old couple were joined in wedlock at "Sandford Station" on the 15th December 1855, by Dr RUSSELL who performed such ceremonies without charging a fee. Mr and Mrs BULL speak in glowing terms of the Rev., gentleman, who used to visit the settlers in early days, when travelling was not so easy as it is today. They still cherish a camp oven and flat iron which Mrs HUNT gave them as a wedding present. Casterton in those days was not an important place, the township only comprising about half a dozen houses, Messrs HANDLEY, COOK and RICHARDSON (who still reside in Casterton) being among the few who lived there. Mr BULL was offered half an acre of land somewhere about where the "Albion Hotel" now stands for about seven pounds, but refused the offer. The present value of this block would be near 7000 pounds. Mr BULL and Mr Edmond KIRBY were the first to bury a man in the Old Casterton Cemetery, he being a shepherd who was found dead by Mr SILVESTER (father of Mr E. SILVESTER of Merino). Mr BULL can tell of some curious reminiscences of the dim long ago. He recollects seing witness Jack as he was called driving his bride in a dray drawn by four bullocks, the bridegroom wearing a pair of white gloves. The old couple have 8 children living, 40 grandchildren, and 1 great grandchild. They have resided at Myaring for 33 years. Mr E. J. BALKIN, of "Pieracle" occupied the chair, and the table was groaning with the weight of the good things contained thereon, and to which the guests did ample justice. Mr BALKIN, in proposing the health of Mr and Mrs BULL, spoke of the respect and esteem in which the old couple were held by the residents of the district, and said he hoped they would be spared to celebrate their diamonf wedding 25 years hence. Mr A. GILMORE of Killara endorsed the remarks of the chairman, and spoke in eulogistic terms of the good qualities possessed by both Mr and Mrs BULL, and several others also spoke in similar strain. The toast was honoured enthusiastically and suitably responded to. A dance was held in the evening and the younger portion of the gathering tripped the light fantastic to the wee small hours of the morning.
Samuel and Alice BULL died in 1908 and 1910 respectively and are buried in the Sandford Cemetery.
Samuel BULL & Alice SNELL had the following family:
- Elizabeth BULL b. 1857, Merino, Vic, d. 1939, m. William Isaac JARRAD 1858-1931 and they had the following family...
- Allan BULL, b. 1881, Merino, Vic, d. 1961, m. Margaret Jane SULLIVAN
- Elizabeth Maud JARRAD, b. 1889, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1890, Dartmoor, Vic.
- Amelia JARRAD, b. 1891, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1909, Dartmoor, Vic.
- Florrie JARRAD, b. 1892, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1895, Dartmoor, Vic.
- William JARRAD, b. 1894, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1914, Woomelang, Vic.
- Roland JARRAD, b. 1896, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1918, Somme, France
Douglas Gordon JARRAD, b. 1898, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1966, Ballarat, Vic.
Robin JARRAD, b. 1902, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1937, Portland, Vic.
Samuel BULL b. 1859, Sandford, Vic, d. 1932, m. Ann JARRAD 1860-1939 and they had the folowing family...
- enlisted WW1
- served as Pte 6515, 6th Battalion, AIF
- DOW, 23 Aug 1918, France
- Isaiah 'Ike' BULL, b. 1889, Strathdownie, Vic, d. 1950, m. Ellen Elizabeth WEBB
- Arthur Albert BULL, b. 1891, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1960, m. Ruby Ellen JARRAD
- William George BULL, b. 1894, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1918, France, m. Ellen Elizabeth WEBB
Maryanne Marion BULL, b. 1897, Dartmoor, Vic, ..........?
Richard Lindsay Samuel BULL, b. 1890, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1975
Mary Ann BULL b. 1860, Casterton, Vic, d. 1930, Bendigo, Vic, m. 1881, Charles HUMPHRIES 1854-1930
Martha BULL b. 1862, Casterton, Vic, d. 1885, bur. Sandford Cemetery.
Benjamin BULL b. 1865, ___, Vic, d. 1948, bur. Sandford Cemetery (not married).
James BULL b. 1867, Sandford, Vic, d. 1945, m. Elizabeth "Betsy" Louisa MILLER 1875-1959 and had the following family...
- enlisted WW1 20 Jul 1915, occupation labourer, residence Strathdownie
- served as Pte 2336, 24th Battalion, AIF
- DOW, 3 Sep 1918, France
- Named on Casterton Town Hall Honour Roll
- Named on Casterton War Memorial
Alice BULL b. 1870, "Runnymede Station" Sandford, Vic, d. 1919, m. Alexander DEVEREUX 1853-1935.
Edwin Snell BULL b. 1873, Sandford, Vic, d. 1946, Heywood, Vic. m. Rebecca O'BRYAN 1878-1955 and they had the following family...
- Robert James BULL, b. 1891, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1940, Shepparton, Vic. m.
- Elizabeth Ruth BULL, b. 1894, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1984, Colac, Vic. m1. Arthur Walter Phillip MORROW 1891-1979, m2. Samuel Nelson WATSON
- Ernest Albert BULL, b. 1898, Dartmoor, Vic, d. , m.
- Edward William BULL, b. 1905, Dartmoor, Vic, d. , m.
- Sarah Alice BULL, b. 1909, d. 1909, Beech Forest, Vic.
- Gordon S BULL, b. 1913, Beech Forest, Vic, d. 1989, m. Elvira Lilly Myrtle STRACHAN
William Snell BULL b. 1878, Merino, Vic, d. 1940, Melbourne, Vic, m. Florence Louisa JACOBS 1878-1967 and had the following family...
- Martha BULL, b. 1905, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1984, Ballarat, Vic. m. Peter SUPPLE
- Dora Frances BULL, b. 1907, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1979, m. Alexander McKINNON
- Elizabeth Alice BULL, b. 1909, Dartmoor, Vic, d. 1967, m. Thomas Dorgan KENNEDY
- John Edwin BULL, b. 1913, Balmoral, Vic, d. 1968, m. Cecelia Agnes MURPHY
- Kathleen BULL, b. 1915, Dartmoor, Vic, m. Lyell OUTTRAM
- Mabel Florence BULL, b. 1906, Mount Gambier, SA, d. , m.
- Allan William BULL, b. 1907, Mount Gambier, SA, d. , m.
- Colin James BULL, b. 1910, Mount Gambier, SA, d. Hampton, Vic, m.
- Donald Alwyn BULL, b. 1923, Footscray, Vic, .........